Psionics in WFRP?

By Emirikol, in WFRP House Rules

Anybody tried doing up psionics in ANY edition of WFRP? Does it fit thematically?

jh

It could work if treated as something extremely abhorrent to pretty much everyone.

It isn't something that appears or is even really hinted at in official material, that I know of. Personally, I wouldn't include it. It doesn't jive with the setting very well, would immediately be weeded out by pretty much every race as a mutation of Chaos, and doesn't have any explanation for why it works the way it does.

I always thought it was a weak addition to D&D as well though, mostly intended to allow powergamers to create ridiculous characters with few weaknesses, so I may not be the best judge.

Yes, I tried it in the 1st edition. I was not such a succes as I touhgt it could be. I just made a psionic for a friend who really wanted to play it. But I don't think that they are good in WFRP setting It' better not use psionics just think about a chaos mutation that gives a telekinesis powers it's far much better.

I created a career in 2ed that was effectively a warrior monk with alot of draw backs.

He could duplicate any spell or priestly invocation with a lot of practise and study just using the power of mind - no invocation or ingredients required. It cost him more to do this and more to learn EACH different ability, but primarily he was a melee fighter with limited casting. We played a 18 month campaign for him to gain the equivalent of teleport - reaching through projecing an image, to moving objects .... etc. In the campaign and down to 0 fate points he decided to feign being knocked out whilst spending 5 rounds to muster enough of his energy to telport the elf queen of Athel Loren out of a demonic power source that is leaching her soul and contaminating all the lands of elfking. Of course, by this stage, he was a 4th rank character, but building him up to this fantastic conclusion to a campaign had wheathered and changed him. At first level he was just a simple warrior who could cast one ore two Petty magic spells.

It was an interesting evolution of a character and took me place I never thought I would be. Essentially he was unique - and I see nothing wrong with creating unique powers and abilities but they should be exceedingly rare and you would have to work towards them. What a great campaign that was - I still miss the group and think of the character.

Alp

From a thematic standpoint, psionics really don't fit well into WFRP.

The difficulty is that they are functionally indistinguishable from Chaos or Divine derived abilities, even though they're clearly different in background.

...and of course that (to my knowledge) they haven't appeared in any of the canon or background.

Priest and Wizards are called pskers in WH40k. Warpspace is the realm of psychic potential energy. So the answer is, we already have psionicists, but they are called priests, wizards, sorcerers, witches, et al in WFRP.