Tales from the Madlands-now with 200% more battles!

By Jukey, in Runewars Battle Reports

Church and I both brought waiqar to the table this time. Interesting matchup list wise. We both capitalized on a 4x3 hammer with dispatch runners to help it out.

Sbesgtt.jpg

We played conquest with the uthuk deployment.

As usual I’ll let church fill in tactics and his list. Here’s what I brought:

200/200

Ardus IxErebus [37] 1x1
Obcasiums Gauntlet [5]
Ancient Technique [2]
Total Unit Cost: 44

Reanimates [64] 4x3
File Leader [6]
Raven-Standard Bearer [3]
Triumphant Cry [3]
Lingering Dead [3]
Total Unit Cost: 79

Death Knights [24] 2x1
Dispatch Runner [7]
Total Unit Cost: 31

Death Knights [24] 2x1
Dispatch Runner [7]
Total Unit Cost: 31

Carrion Lancers [15] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 15

Everything focuses on the 4x3 getting set up well and getting up to 3 attacks each turn. Ardus is an insurance policy against high armor units.

So on with the game...

Turn 1: I started with initiative, not like it mattered on the first turn.. Church and I mirrored our reanimates moves, pulling a 1 speed wheel at 6. Ardus shifts behind the graveyard(it’s my blighted ground template, don’t have a graveyard made) to wait for a potential long charge from church’s death knights.

pXZOVYz.jpg

I keep my death knights in easy reach of the reanimates to capitalize on attacking next turn. Church is keeping his army on the defensive for now.

Turn 2: My reanimates wiggle forward, but church’s reanimates are playing it cool with a late shift. Meanwhile, his death knights turn away from the trap Ardus has set and moves his lancers into range to blight out my reanimates. KkFLVAz.jpg

Turn 4: Due to file leader and raven standard I simply flip a melee at 3 and wait for the inevitable charge from church’s reanimates. Fortunately, when he hits me he can’t square up and can’t flank. My file leader triggers, and I roll out a devestating.....4 damage! Oops. He smacks me back with 12.

A wierd thing happens with Ardus. He marches 3 and misses the death knights, and worse yet is slightly in front of them now. The death knights hit him for 2 wounds and pull a flee in terror, which actually protects Ardus from a charge next turn. My lancer also jumps in front of the death knights and kills one. 8bRMHBD.jpg

My damage comes back with a double dispatch runner attack on church’s reanimates, pulling his rear rank off. I am unable to form up due to the lancer.

Turn 5: Ardus reforms while the death knights eat my lancer. The reanimates tear into eachother, his do massive damage for 1 attack, mine whittle his down to 1 tray over 3 attacks. RnpAnmL.jpg

Turn 6: The lancers bump my reanimates, keeping them from marching places after finishing off church’s reanimates. Ardus drops off his gift of the power glove and takes a wound from magarth. tPYYXDt.jpg

Turn 7: Ardus kills himself making one more attack on the death knights. My reanimates kill one lancer but only after it does a surprise 6 damage utilizing the blight token I have. I had forgotten lancers can do that! t0Saq9U.jpg

Turn 8: the last lancer dies, the death knights lose a few more figures to power glove. RjL3CYS.jpg

In conclusion, Ardus embedded does almost the same damage as at least 2 attacks from a regular 4x3. Dispatch runners make a 4x3 really scary, I want to try one with Ardus in it now.

Triumphant cry is interesting, but hard to use.

Solo lancers can wreck high armor targets if they are blighted.

Death knights are great vehicles for dispatch runners.

Edited by Jukey

Wow, very good report. I like how you try so unconventional lists, it's very refreshing seeing these options work.

Great report! ?

Solo Carrion lancers seem to be strong if you can use the blight - surge va death kinghts altough they get to subtract one mortal.

I love the fact that my attempt at painting a flaming sword is front and center in all these pictures. Those white Death Knights are kind of my painting test bed...

The thing about this game to me is that I really don’t mind getting outplayed. I messed up by pushing the Death Knights out of range 3 of the Reanimate block. If I had kept them in range, my damage output on 2 attacks was matching his on 3 attacks. I could have perhaps flattened much more of his Reanimate blob. Still probably a loss, but not nearly so bad of one. His sticking Ardus behind the graveyard was fantastic for potentially screwing my Knights big time. It forced errors on my part

Edited by Church14
10 hours ago, Church14 said:

I love the fact that my attempt at painting a flaming sword is front and center in all these pictures. Those white Death Knights are kind of my painting test bed...

Hey, they were still standing at the end of the match, so I guess that means your paint job is durable, right? That's how it works, I'm pretty sure.

29 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

Hey, they were still standing at the end of the match, so I guess that means your paint job is durable, right? That's how it works, I'm pretty sure.

They aren’t more durable. Don’t be silly. The flame paint makes it go faster. I thought everyone knew that.

.......and now I want to paint a Flesh Ripper with racing stripes....

EDIT: To prevent confusion, I need to note that Jukey was borrowing them for a match as he seemed to have left his others at home.

Edited by Church14

Two more battle reports in from today. I’m running the same Latari build in both, church runs waiqar and then Uthuk.

my list:

199/200

Maegan Cyndewin [36] 1x1
Fortunas Dice [6]
Total Unit Cost: 42

Aymhelin Scions [62] 3x2
Tempered Steel [3]
Raven Tabards [2]
Total Unit Cost: 67

Deepwood Archers [30] 2x2
Dispatch Runner [7]
Tempered Steel [3]
Rallying Starling [4]
Simultaneous Orders [2]
Total Unit Cost: 46

Leonx Riders [40] 2x3
Column Tactics [4]
Total Unit Cost: 44

this list is focusing on if the big scion blocks can be useful or not.

Deployment and objective were the last ones out of the new kit to play. The two rocks are the objectives.

ZfzkaGc.jpg

Turn 1: Everything moves late for proper positioning. Only my scions get a surprise shot on church’s closer 3x2 reanimates.

7OMuRo4.jpg

church drops a blight on Meagan to nerf her fireball coming next turn.

G2ms6MR.jpg

Turn 2: Meagan gets her dice blighted off so does no attack. My archers take another tray of the reanimates, while the scions lose a dice to blight and take 3 archers out of a tray. bMy74sf.jpg

off camera the leonx shift and reform for a flank. blApt8S.jpg

Turn 3: My scions get an early charge thanks to natural runes. They put some hurt on the reanimates. Meanwhile, Meagan gets one dice out around the blight and takes 8 figures out between 3 units. yuBQZi2.jpg

Churchs archers return fire on my scions and throw a 3 blight on and trigger a flee in terror. This prevents me from triggering dispatch runner and ending the reanimates. My cats take out the archers with a flank charge.

bqY2E8d.jpg

Turn 4: Meagan sidesteps Ardus and goes for the reanimates in front of her, gets 3 blight off the archers in return. The scions reform early and the archers and cats clean out the figure upgrades in the other reanimates. uUGdQI6.jpg

Ardus reaches the objective terrain, scoring 75.

uUGdQI6.jpg

Turn 5: both reanimates get cut down to the lancer from Meagan and cat charges, churchs archers lose a tray when my archers dispatch runner Meagan for a full attack due to surge splash. They inflict 2 wounds back on her.

r7UOJ2E.jpg

Church and I called it here. GheI1KP.jpg

—-Second match—-

NJsiCj7.jpg

we player maelstrom with take the ridge. Both objectives are in the left corner. PrCIyxO.jpg

Turn 1: Churchs uthuk come screaming in on late marches. His rippers make it into the swamp which provides a threat to my cats and archers next turn. Ravos makes it into melee with Meagan on turn 1, and of course takes a bite out of her. My army struggles to unpack fast enough. qNUVy2x.jpg xEADPpV.jpg

Turn 2: Ravos slaughters Meagan and the rippers take the back tray of my archers. I dialed a melee/reform on my cats expecting a flank from rippers, so my cats miss their timing on entering the battle. The berserkers kill one scion and put two wounds on the next. 24jphPy.jpg

Turn 3: my archers die, my scions lose the back rank but do some decent damage back. My cats make it around the swamp only to be caught by Ravos and get a cat eaten. wuQbA8V.jpg

Turn 4: There should be a picture but I didn’t take it. My scions die from a combo attack from charging threshers and zerkers. My cats go down to 3 trays from Ravos, and do 3 wounds back. We call it here, as my cats are dead first thing next turn.

I need to stop giving rippers free movement with terrain, they excel at that. I hope darnati will be the Ravos solution. This game reminded me how hard to fight the uthuk are. Granted I made a number of mistakes in the game, but a wipe by turn 5 was painful. I did have it coming though after the first game.

thanks for reading.

I think facing Waiqar, then facing Uthuk night have messed with you a bit. The difference in how they approach is much more extreme than the differences between Legion or Armada armies.

Trying to be clever and unexpectedly aggressive with Waiqar just resulted in me getting myself stomped game 1. That was rough. I need to relearn some patience, but it’s soooo hard when I have fun using “Leeroy Jenkins!” as my entire strategy for one of my armies.

On 4/30/2018 at 9:56 PM, Jukey said:

Turn  4: Due to file leader and raven standard I simply flip a melee at 3 and wait for the inevitable charge from church’s reanimates. Fortunately, when he hits me he can’t square up and can’t flank. My file leader triggers, and I roll out a devestating.....4 damage! Oops. He smacks me back with 12.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you would square up as a flank, but can't square up in either direction because of obstacles, you should still roll a bonus die as if you were flanking. Right?

Yes, the unit is assumed to be flanking as if it had squared up.

Yeh, neither of us caught it while playing, I noticed a few days after posting, then the just hoped no one noticed ?

Probably changes the outcome of that game a bit.

also totally misread your post and thought you were saying I should have squared up flanked(which I think might have been missed)

we have always played unable to square up means no flank, please correct me if I’m wrong.

Edited by Jukey