Albatross CX colour templates

By Pour Le Merite, in Wings of War (WWI)

Anyone who has a good picture to link to? Funny enough do I have around 50 templates for albatross D planes but my books are focused on scouts and some black/white pictures is all I have.

The box have a suspicious pink and green painting on it but I have no idea if anyone actually had such wossy paintjob. I do know that the early C models often were yellow or not painted at all but I doubt that is true for 1917.

Thanks. I avoid painting those wood colours in 1/144 however, it just looks bad whenever I try it.

I based the paintjob I am currently working on from a black white picture, it at least seems to be similar to the blue roland in Wow with slight modification (of course it could also be light green instead of light blue or even yellow but blue seems likely).

It is a neat looking plane, I hope they will get us an official CX or CXII soon. It was a common plane and would even out the sides somewhat, the Roland is just too old to compete with a DH4. Of course the Rumpler would be as good.

Revell do an acrylic Wood Brown (36 382) that I've used on my Albatros repaints. Looks OK to me on the plane in the foreground (Johannes Wintrath of Jasta 2, don't have a better pic handy I'm afraid).

GEDC0563.jpg

I have it but I just don't like how it looks. Or you are a better painter than me, the picture is kinda blurry but when I tried it does it just look like brown paint...

Hmm, I am thinking about a project where I would replace part of the body with real wood and try to get the right finish with it, that would be fun. But not with the resin model, A Reviresco model would be perfect.

I am currently building a Rumpler CIV while I put on the last touches of the Albatross CX and Junker CI. Resin models are actually a lot more fun (but harder) to build than metal planes :)

I can actually recommend you to buy a SRAM or 2. They are interesting to work with and easy to modify even if it takes a little time to get use to the material. But I still fear the Caparoni bomber, it is huge. It looks like it actually can be worse than my AEG bomber to build, I am saving it for last.

[email protected]

Going by what I've seen of your models, I doubt that I'm a better painter.

All the silk matt paints are tricky to use (they need to be very well mixed and some thinning is required) and that one in particular really needs to be used over a white basecoat to get the best results. Granted that's not the best picture, but the finish is quite close to the kit I linked to above (I ruined it a little by matt spraying the model, but I'd replaced the decals and had to varnish the model to protect them from greasy-fingered gamers:))

I've built dozens of resin kits (modern armour and SF starships), but I've read that the struts of the SRAM planes are pretty fragile. How do you think they'll hold up with repeated use ? I'll probably just stick to official models with some Skytrex ones to fill the gaps. Reverisco kits are really impressive, but they take a bit more modelling skill than I have.

IRM said:

Going by what I've seen of your models, I doubt that I'm a better painter.

All the silk matt paints are tricky to use (they need to be very well mixed and some thinning is required) and that one in particular really needs to be used over a white basecoat to get the best results. Granted that's not the best picture, but the finish is quite close to the kit I linked to above (I ruined it a little by matt spraying the model, but I'd replaced the decals and had to varnish the model to protect them from greasy-fingered gamers:))

I've built dozens of resin kits (modern armour and SF starships), but I've read that the struts of the SRAM planes are pretty fragile. How do you think they'll hold up with repeated use ? I'll probably just stick to official models with some Skytrex ones to fill the gaps. Reverisco kits are really impressive, but they take a bit more modelling skill than I have.

Hmm, it might be the reason that I have problems with it, I use primer (Humbrol no 1) and it is grey instead of white, might be why it seems so dark to me, thanks.

Well, I am just putting on the last touches on the first 2 planes right now and the replaced part seems to be working fine. The planes feel very solid and fine but only a few games will tell us if they are good for it. My home made storage pack should work to transport them without any damage.

As for Skytrex vs Reviresco it really isn't much difference. The hard part is putting the top wing right, if the tail and engine needs to be glued on really makes little difference. I would go so far to say that for the smaller scout is Reviresco the easiest to assemble, Skytrex needs a lot of work to look good. In any case I reccomend you to exchange the struts, there are a few planes that they are strong enough on (like Skytrex Albatross DII) but in most cases they tend to make the model more fragile than it needs to and it is easy to replace them.

Some people make something to hold the wing while they let the glue dry but if you use a gel type super glue you don't have to do that. It is anyways by far the hardest on any model and the reason mono planes are so much easier to build.

The prices are rather similar even though the British pound seems to be dropping fast right now but if you can assemble a skytrex plane you can assembl a Reviresco just fine.

The hardest plane I have built so far is the Skytrex AEG CIV, followed by the resin kits.