Can't open lid all the way

By rshelley11, in War of the Ring: Collector's Edition

Has anyone else noticed that in the preview pictures, the lid opens all the way, but in the final project, you can't open the past 90 degrees? I mean, i'm certainly happy with my purchase, but not being able to open the lid all the way really does cause problems when you're trying to put things in and take things out of the box. They even put a little note in there telling you not to open the lid all the way.

Is there any way to fix this without damaging the product? I just get the feeling that some day, the lid will fall out of my hand or something, fall backwards, and rip the hinges right out of the box. That would be a sad day indeed.'

Any suggestions?

Actually it's a pretty well known problem, especially if you frequent Boradgame geek. My advice is actually to just transfer everything from the box anyway. The box can easily be dmaaged transporting it and with an investment such as this buying say an Army transport to store the miniatures and such in for travel is a worth while investment. I keep the board itself in an artist zippered carry sleeve.

You could try to replace the hinges but that wood is pretty soft and you might do more harm than good to the box.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of getting a special edition boxed game?

The box is part of the experience. Should have been thought through a little more.

LeBlanc13 said:

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of getting a special edition boxed game?

The box is part of the experience. Should have been thought through a little more.

They went with aesthetics over functionality with the lid. I too would have preferred that the lid could lay open. As it stands now, all I have to do is hold the lid open with one hand and remove all the trays with the other. It can be a bit unwieldy, but I've become fairly proficient at this.

I'm still contemplating switching my minis to an army transport case, but the cost is fairly substantial. Right now I am transporting everything as is. I wrap the box in a large piece of fleece. then around this I have strong piece cotton material that wraps around the box with straps that both tie to keep everything secure and also act as handles.