MOAR background info that can inform thematic army compositions and painting

By kaffis, in Runewars Lore and History of Terrinoth

FFG, the recent Flesh Rippers preview was great, and not just because it's the first release-centric news we've had in months.

No, the thing that made it stand out as exciting to me is the little snippet of lore tucked into the article, about how variations in Flesh Rippers' summoning rituals can be used to control the characteristics of the summoned Flesh Rippers, and how those variations are reflected in the Flesh Rippers' markings.

This is the kind of background information that hobbyists gobble up, use to inform how they choose to paint their armies, and give them something they can be proud to field and tell their opponent all about how careful they were to reflect the upgrades they planned on taking with their models in the painting of the model themselves.

I'd love to see more of this, going forward, and expanded to other factions and their already-released models; people would love to see information about how regional differences in their factions' forces and how the armies commanded by different heroes represented in game (and others yet to be represented!) differ in composition. Hobbyists will love to get details about the regimental markings common in Daqan armies and the way the social structure of the nobility is represented in its heraldry, or the regional differences in attitudes towards camouflage and ornamentation among the Latari, or examples of massive battles whose dead have been plundered en masse by the necromancers of Waiqar, and so on.

In lore with the Carrion Lancers, it describes how what they are fed affects their colors and such too.

Yep, I thought I remembered that being a thing they said, too, but I couldn't remember where, so I left it off.

3 hours ago, kaffis said:

Hobbyists will love to get details about the regimental markings common in Daqan armies and the way the social structure of the nobility is represented in its heraldry, or the regional differences in attitudes towards camouflage and ornamentation among the Latari,

My Latari wear their family colors with pride.

I'll admit that it creates a real mishmash of colors in my army, but if you want conformity, where every single person looks identical to the guy beside him, talk to the Daqan.

3 hours ago, Aetheriac said:

In lore with the Carrion Lancers, it describes how what they are fed affects their colors and such too.

My Carrion Lancers eat Daqan infantry, armor and all. They sport blue and gold markings. I'm looking forward to painting my Latari-bane: the armored sclerites on that worm will be brown, and I will attempt to paint a wood grain pattern to represent the many Aymhelin Scions it has eaten. It will probably look amateur, but I'll give it my best!

21 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

My Carrion Lancers eat Daqan infantry, armor and all. They sport blue and gold markings. I'm looking forward to painting my Latari-bane: the armored sclerites on that worm will be brown, and I will attempt to paint a wood grain pattern to represent the many Aymhelin Scions it has eaten. It will probably look amateur, but I'll give it my best!

Totally awesome!! I'm going to try to make each of my 6 worms different. Long ways to go on the painting front.

7 hours ago, Parakitor said:

You should paint one in the color scheme of the army of the top player in your area. Show them that your Carrion Lancers eat their units for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I never got around to it because I ended up selling my Daqan half of the cores, but my original intent was to take a Lancer and make it look like it was eating the spare Kari model.

My Waiqar have a desert theme, so all but one of my lancers look like they’ve been forced to live on a diet of dirt and rock.

Edited by Church14