Custom Hero: Nelyth

By RhunDraco, in Descent Home Brews

Yet Another! Lemme know what you think. She's had no playtesting yet, but seems interesting.

Nelyth v1.3

Very cool character, just one question though, if she were to get 2 effect tokens placed on her (say 2 poison counters) would she be able to turn both of them into a token you can only have 1 of? (I'm not entirely sure at the moment, but don't you only ever get 1 stun token placed on you?)

Jjiinx said:

Very cool character, just one question though, if she were to get 2 effect tokens placed on her (say 2 poison counters) would she be able to turn both of them into a token you can only have 1 of? (I'm not entirely sure at the moment, but don't you only ever get 1 stun token placed on you?)

You can have multiple stun tokens. You remove just one stun token on your turn and get the move-or-attack "half-action". If you have 5 stun tokens, then you'll be stunned for your next five turns.

It's unusual to receive more than one token at once of any kind other than Poison, though you can accumulate an unlimited number through repeated exposure.

Honestly though, if you're not going to let it work against Curse, 1 fatigue is a steep enough cost that you should probably just let her negate the token entirely. You're probably comparing it to Sahla's ability (2 fatigue to remove an effect token), but Sahla's ability really isn't good for anything except Curse. Maybe the occasional Stun or Frost token.

I've got a familiar in Enduring Evil that removes one effect token other than Curse from any hero it lands on, each turn, for free. And that wasn't useful enough to be a skill, so I had to add the abililty to add a Burn token to a monster instead. And both of those effects are likely to be substantially more useful in Enduring Evil than in normal Descent, due to more effect tokens being thrown around and monsters surviving longer (and thus burning longer).

Most hero abilities are significantly weaker than (decent) skills, but still...

Thanks for the feedback, all! I will be making a tweak to Nelyth and posting soon . . .