Uthuk Y'llan Painting

By Tarquillaman3285, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

Just some of my painting of the Uthuk. I'm still new, so constructive criticism is welcome. Ravos is my first attempt at painting, he took me forever.

photo 20180412_0402511_zpsmnwzd32j.jpg Ravos 1 photo 20180306_2303051_zps8d97ysu9.jpg

Edited by Tarquillaman3285

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Took me forever to figure out how to actually post pictures, but here we go. This is my Thresher, it's one of the first figures I've ever painted and I'm really proud of how he came out. On a side note, it took me a while to figure out how I wanted to paint him, so I looked online for inspiration, but I could only find one picture of someone else's paint job. That's what made me want to post my pictures, in case someone else wanted to see what other people had done to get ideas.

photo 20180422_0321231_zpss3nmn9uy.jpg photo 20180422_0320561_zpsxirz04of.jpg photo 20180422_0320511_zpscslkwitx.jpg

Edited by Tarquillaman3285

This is my Shrieker. Looking at the pictures of him painted by professionals, most people paint those four prongs on his shoulders as spikes, but I liked the idea that they're strands of flesh left over from when their lungs burst out of their backs.

photo 20180321_1644171_zpsvzuht77f.jpg photo 20180321_1645031_zps7bofksoi.jpg

This is my Warsprinter, the little details on his spines made him kind of a pain.

photo 20180614_2148371_zpsxrd39hhb.jpg photo 20180614_2148591_zpsvzknljy6.jpg photo 20180614_2148491_zpssltmwcjx.jpg

And the Blood Witch. I'm very pleased with how she came out. Originally I had her hair a dirty blodish color, but I changed my mind and really wanted it to pop, so I went with a pink/purple mix. I don't regret that decision.

photo 20180614_2149371_zps2dczn8fh.jpg photo 20180614_2149201_zps5vhvr3lt.jpg photo 20180614_2149141_zpsmclsnzeq.jpg

This is a rough mockup of the basic way I want to paint my Rippers, so he's not perfect, just figured I'd post it anyways.

photo 20180614_2147581_zpsbtnxosql.jpg photo 20180614_2148141_zpswcqogeyr.jpg photo 20180614_2148061_zpst6r2isuy.jpg

That's all for now, I'll post more as I continue to power my way through painting the whole army. Comments and constructive criticism is welcome.

photo 20180614_2151101_zpslyiovwkt.jpg

That Blood Witch! Those eyes and hair are fantastic!

I agree. The Blood Witch turned out great. I also really like your skin tone for Ravos. I think I like the Spined Threshers, but the yellow blends in with the wood background.

I think you've got a real good eye for coloration. The one suggestion I would make is adding more shading; the large stretches of solid colors could use a bit of depth, through either washes or drybrushing.

Thanks guys, I worked really hard on all of them, and I really want to improve as a painter. I'm still learning how to highlight and shade, and hopefully by the time I finish my army there will be a marked improvement in all my minis.

Excellent work, very clean and precise with great colors!

I would also recommend to do two extra steps from this point: First add a wash in darker colors to the various areas - that alone will give the minis a lot more depth. If you then do a pass of simple layering to add some highlights, and you'll have a very good tabletop standard.

2 hours ago, Uthoroc said:

Excellent work, very clean and precise with great colors!

I would also recommend to do two extra steps from this point: First add a wash in darker colors to the various areas - that alone will give the minis a lot more depth. If you then do a pass of simple layering to add some highlights, and you'll have a very good tabletop standard.

Feeding off of this comment, use Nuln Oil specifically if you can get some. It's the best dark wash there is and wont leave pooling marks if you're a little heavy handed with it either. It's called "Liquid Skill" for a reason.

Also great work, I love the clean colors and the blood witch is sick af

1 hour ago, Wraithist said:

Feeding off of this comment, use Nuln Oil specifically if you can get some. It's the best dark wash there is and wont leave pooling marks if you're a little heavy handed with it either. It's called "Liquid Skill" for a reason.

Nuln Oil, really? I always felt it was too dark. I'm using Agrax Earthshade to give softer shadows. Does Nuln Oil look natural on biological models?

4 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

Nuln Oil, really? I always felt it was too dark. I'm using Agrax Earthshade to give softer shadows. Does Nuln Oil look natural on biological models?

Gotcha, totally taste. I use it cause my guys are generally more comic booky looking so strong dark lines work really well in my schemes.

It would be perfect for his red cloth and for any chitinous plates to emphasize the separation between. Nuln oil on those deep red Threshers would look so friggin good

For the flesh tones, I would use a purple-red wash to bring out that chalky blue color.

I usually use some sort of red, mixed with the original skin color to bring warmth to the deep parts of any skin tone.

I use thinned down Vallejo Inks instead of the Citadel washes, but I agree that I would rather use the earthy shade instead of straight black. If possible it's even better to use the appropriate color washes (e.g. for the red flesh Carroburg Crimson (the dark red GW wash) will look awesome.

I think contrast is very visually appealing and can make up for lack of skill on my part lol. So I try to use a different color than the base color for the wash. It it's a dark color I go black, otherwise for flesh specifically, it looks very cold and one dimensional without a variety of colors. Red mixed with his base skin tone on those berserkers would create a sort of red-purple, which would look really good under the cheekbones and under the shoulder muscles to give warmth and depth. It would really make them pop. If not black, I would almost use a dark purple wash on the red flesh.

25 minutes ago, Wraithist said:

I think contrast is very visually appealing and can make up for lack of skill on my part lol. So I try to use a different color than the base color for the wash...If not black, I would almost use a dark purple wash on the red flesh.

I'm right there with you. I've used matching color washes, and they don't do much for me. Purple wash over red is exactly what I did with my Spined Threshers, and I am pleased with the result.

I’m pretty sure I am going with an all bone look. I have about 20 hours into the basing and mold line removal so far.