Blast

By Rettere, in Rules

Does blast apply to the whole attack, even including non-blast weapons?

If a rebel z6 Gatling squad attacks a target with concussion grenades and the Gatling gun, do the white dice ignore cover or only the black dice?

In this instance there would be two separate attack pools: Grenades are one pool, Z-6 is the other.
Blast would only apply to the blast pool using grenades.

Edit: I’m pretty sure that’s not right, the RRG says multiple weapons can be in the same attack pool.

Edited by Rettere
4 minutes ago, Xiervak said:

In this instance there would be two separate attack pools: Grenades are one pool, Z-6 is the other.
Blast would only apply to the blast pool using grenades.

You form an attack pool, for each nominated target/defender, not each weapon and only one pool per target. The grenades and z-6 would both contribute to the one pool against the target and their keywords contribute to the entire attack pool of dice you roll.

RRG p. 14:

”Choose Weapons: The attacker can choose one weapon from each eligible mini to contribute to the attack pool.”

and p. 15:

”During an attack, the attacker can create multiple attack pools to attack multiple defenders. However, only one attack pool can be assigned to each defender.“

I believe it depends on whether or not you are choosing 1 or multiple defenders, but I think even if 1 unit is being attacked with multiple weapons, it's just 1 suppression token. Here's why:
- P. 20 of the core boxset rulebook says "After a ranged attack, if dice rolls produce 1 or more hit, the defender gains one suppression token."
- Back of core boxset rulebook says, "Attack resolution: to perform an attack, resolve the following steps:"

1. Declare Defender
2. Form Attack Pool.
3. Declare Addtl Defender
4. Roll Attack Dice
5. Apply Dodge and Cover.
6. Modify Attack Dice
7. Roll Defense Dice.
8. Modify Defense Dice
9. Compare Results
10. Choose Additional Attack Pool

Step 10 says, if the attacker declared multiple defenders, the attack repeats steps 4-9, choosing a new attack pool." To me, that indicates that if you've only chosen 1 defender, all attack pools are resolved in steps 4-9, meaning all wounds are applied at once, resulting in only 1 suppression token going to the unit. This changes if you're attacking multiple targets, per step 10, because another unit has to go through steps 4-9 with a different attack pool, meaning they're getting their own wounds/suppression token separately.

2 minutes ago, Alathazal said:

You form an attack pool, for each nominated target/defender, not each weapon and only one pool per target. The grenades and z-6 would both contribute to the one pool against the target and their keywords contribute to the entire attack pool of dice you roll.

RRG p. 14:

”Choose Weapons: The attacker can choose one weapon from each eligible mini to contribute to the attack pool.”

and p. 15:

”During an attack, the attacker can create multiple attack pools to attack multiple defenders. However, only one attack pool can be assigned to each defender.“

So you can have 2 minis, 1 a Z-6 and 1 lobbing grenades as their own attack pool?

2 minutes ago, Xiervak said:

So you can have 2 minis, 1 a Z-6 and 1 lobbing grenades as their own attack pool?

That’s correct. Each weapon is assigned to a defender, then all weapons with a common defender are combined to a single attack pool and rolled together, combining all keywords.

Alright. I stand corrected on how attack pools are formed. I still don't think that Blast would go on the Z-6 since Blast is a separate weapon, but I've been wrong before.

Edited by Xiervak
1 minute ago, nashjaee said:

That’s correct. Each weapon is assigned to a defender, then all weapons with a common defender are combined to a single attack pool and rolled together, combining all keywords.

Fair enough. Is there somewhere in the rulebook I can read that all keyboards are combined together?

Just now, Xiervak said:

Alright. I stand corrected on how attack pools are formed. I still don't think that Blast would go on the Z-6 since Blast is a separate weapon, but I've been wrong before.

The keywords apply to the whole pool, so the Z-6 does benefit from blast in this example.

I found it on P. 15 of the coreset rulebook:
"Each weapon keyword modifies any attack made that include that weapon."
Wow, sweet! Grenades just became so much more useful! :D

Edited by Xiervak
4 minutes ago, Xiervak said:

As long as they have different targets. All named weapons must attack together. But innyour example you have 2 different weapons to assign. You assign all attack pools at the same time, by setting the dice next to the defenders and then start rolling away.

if you had 4 minis you could have 1 on grenades, one with their regular weapon and the z-6 attack a 3rd group and then with the 4th mini choose regular weapon or grenades and add its dice with that dice pool.

Yup! Also check out “Attack Pool” on page 15 of the RRG.

3 minutes ago, azavander said:

As long as they have different targets. All named weapons must attack together. But innyour example you have 2 different weapons to assign. You assign all attack pools at the same time, by setting the dice next to the defenders and then start rolling away.

if you had 4 minis you could have 1 on grenades, one with their regular weapon and the z-6 attack a 3rd group and then with the 4th mini choose regular weapon or grenades and add its dice with that dice pool.

I think his example is that the Z-6 and grenade are attacking the same target, thus forming an attack pool together.

Just now, nashjaee said:

I think his example is that the Z-6 and grenade are attacking the same target, thus forming an attack pool together.

Your right... one should not answer rule questions before coffee

Haha, it’s just about coffee time over here, too.

5 minutes ago, azavander said:

Your right... one should not answer rule questions before coffee

Shrug I learned something and the OPs question was answered.

Coffee does sound good...