Katrina Ostrander is leaving FFG. What this means for L5R.

By ElSuave, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Warning: incoming rant.

I have a better idea: give the job to Benioff and Weiss.

Hotaru starts to realize Kachiko may be a toxic influence and begins to move away from her. Except she then forgets that and becomes her absolutely loyal henchwoman. Except she then decides to leave her anyway. Then, after years of buildup to the eventual conclusion of her arc, she decides she prefers Kachiko anyway, comes to rescue her, and her last act is one of open defiance against all her character growth while they die together.

Shoju suddenly forgets how to be both sarcastic and intelligent and keeps making stupid decisions while somehow staying in charge after making them. Everyone else has conversations about his all-encompassing intelligence despite this.

Tsukune goes from idealistic leader to full murderhobo in two or so fictions. Everyone who ever rooted for her (characters and audience) suddenly finds out with dismay that not only is she giving in to a petty tantrum, but to has thousands of heimin killed who were just standing there. Also, she is portrayed as wrong for thinking that her advisors are conspiring against her while her advisors are shown conspiring against her.

Kaede, after a lot of buildup about the powers she will able to demonstrate, will become an unintentionally hilarious walking exposition device who just sits there creepily while she could be useful in tens of ways.

Aramoro will become a walking plot device who will teleport to wherever he's needed to cause the most strife and kill people with plot armor at 110% of its power. Not a fiction will pass without him talking about how he wants to bone Kachiko and taunting Hotaru about it.

Ujiaki will assume a hunched leaning position against the wall as his default pose, and will always speak in the most sinister tone possible. He then will try to drive Shizue and Shahai against each other for reasons no one will ever understand cause the act doesn't make any sense. Then Shizue will openly announce to the court that he's evil with no proof but they should believe her and the political mastermind with tons of allies and connections and who is also a daimyo will quickly analize all his possible courses of action and determine that the move with the greatest possiblity of success is to break down crying on the floor like a wimp, at which point Shahai kills him with supercool meishodo skills. No one will be upset that such a high ranking authority is killed so unceremoniously and later on everyone will forget he ever existed. Benioff and Weiss state that this was because the intrigue in Rokugan had become irrelevant and the primary conflict was against Fu Leng, thus the schemer in their midst had to die.

Chagatai will give a speach about his love and care of his cousins. The he will burn one of his cousins alive because of some bad weather which is supposedly terrible but shown to be quite manageable and walk to his enemies like an idiot and die off-screen.

Kamoko will decide that the best way to enact the will of the Unicorn is to kill Dairu. Then she will decide that is not enough and kill Tadaji too. The audience shall chear when Aramoro shows up from nowhere and kills her along with her battle maidens.

A huuuuuuuge time will be invested in setting up the return of Fu Leng. When he appears, he has a fetish for slow, ominous walking. Shoju is suddenly worried about the state of the wall and sends Toturi and a bunch of others to get a zombie to convince people they exist despite everyone already knowing they exist. They mess up horribly and Tsukune goes to rescue them and succeeds but Tadaka is a zombie now. Zombie Tadaka breaches the Wall, at which point the Crab Clan will become an organization comprised solely by one dude who used to only spout one liners. When the final battle comes along, entire armies will be swallowed by the Shadowland horde but people with only a few months of training will resist agains 70 or so of each of them individually. Fu Leng gets stabbed by one of the Shosuro girls who Mario jumps behind her after running towards him for 20 metres in front of the entirety of his lieutenants, who will just stay there and do nothing. Once he dies, the entire army just dies like that. Which means the final villain wil be Kachiko after all, meaning that Ujiaki died for absolutely no reason.

Every clan that's not the Lion, the Crane, the Scorpion or the Phoenix will be treated like it never existed.

Interesting. Thankfully, L5r is nowhere near as mainstream as Game of Thrones and thus I don't foresee that level of fanservice/lack of depth. After reading every fiction (except for the unicorn novella, since it is yet available in europe), I have to say that I find them highly enjoyable.

I have received a warning from a moderator that I shouldn't post on dead threads. I apologize from doing so and will restrain myself from doing such a thing again.

If you are anything close to a hardcore fan, of Game of Thrones...…..you read the books long before the show ever came out and you either devoted yourself to never watching the show or waiting until the books were finished. Then when you came to grips with the fact that Martin will never complete the books, you watched the first season and thought it was pretty well done. When you came across some major differences in the books and show, so you put your show watching on pause and renewed your faith in Martin to someday finish the books and you again vowed not to spoil it, since that is what every book adapted to a movie or show has done, forever. But, at some point you realized that Martin appears to be content with the money he's raking in for his unfinished work and would rather lurk on the set so he can see some live boobies, so you decided it was time to just get caught up on the show. Now it's almost over (but really just beginning because all the spin off nonsense that is going to pop up because of the success of the show) and you are somewhat relieved that it's done because you'll finally be done having to listen to Janis from accounting keep talking about GoT and Twilight in the same breath and everyone listens to Janis because she has been declare the office GoT superfan because she can tell you about some cameo in season 6 episode 5 that you give zero craps about.

Now can someone please give Brandon Sanderson a movie deal for just about anything he has written? Love him or not, the man knows how to finish a good story.

15 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

.... since that is what every book adapted to a movie or show has done, forever.

"Every" screen adaptation to a book seems a little unfair here.

For instance, Dan Simmons' The Terror was a good book, but it's recent onscreen adaptation as AMC's miniseries was incredible and very highly regarded as a show ( e.g. 95% on Rotten Tomatoes, straight A's for all 10 episodes on AVClub, etc .).

As for films that were better than the book, one could offer candidates such as Fight Club , The Princess Bride , Bladerunner , or--if wanted an incredibly polarizing issue-- Jurassic Park .

I'd be hyped if Joe Abercrombie got a TV deal for his stuff as well. Also someone who writes fantasy epics with endings.

I know people get super emotional over ASOIAF. I guess I always managed to separate the books and the show such that I never got too upset. As far as how long it takes Martin to finish the books I am a Dark Tower and Wheel of Time fan. So I'm use to waiting way too long to read the end of a fantasy epic. I don't like it, but I guess I'm well practice at it at this point. The level of quality on the ASOIAF books are so far above any other fantasy book I've read that I can't help but give Martin a pass for making me wait so long. Especially considering in my experience when an author rushes a fantasy epic to a conclusion you get Song of Susannah. Take your time Martin. If I gotta wait years to read each installment I want it to be good.

I think The 13th Warrior was a way more enjoyable experience when compared to the book Eaters Of The Dead.

On 4/4/2018 at 1:43 PM, Coyote Walks said:

I think it is more important whom they place as the storyhead, than where they came from.

Yeah but unless you want very unhappy employees...promote from within. I've seen office after office hire from the outside and disgruntled employees leave.

Most businesses only hire from the outside because it's easier to low-ball pay new workers. People being promoted from within expect a pay jump usually above what you can pay someone new.

2 hours ago, Teslacrashed said:

Yeah but unless you want very unhappy employees...promote from within. I've seen office after office hire from the outside and disgruntled employees leave.

Most businesses only hire from the outside because it's easier to low-ball pay new workers. People being promoted from within expect a pay jump usually above what you can pay someone new.

Bit of threadomancy going on here, but this is not necessarily the same situation as in many other companies. Story lead is not a regular staff job it, takes a very specific set of skills to craft and steer story, something that FFG doesn't normally keep on regular staff but freelances out for. It is more of a senior creative editorial position then technical editorial or game design which is what most of their staff are more geared towards

my apologies, I didn't realize stuff on the first page of the forum would be that old, I hadn't logged on in a long while and saw the thread.

If FFG is going to run a story heavy game like L5R, why would they not have someone who is dedicated to it full time in office? Freelancing out something that important seems like a poor decision, but maybe I am not that familiar with how these things go. I'm not trying to be antagonistic mind, but I realize in text it probably looks that way so I'll be happy to let sleeping dogs lie from here.

2 minutes ago, Teslacrashed said:

my apologies, I didn't realize stuff on the first page of the forum would be that old, I hadn't logged on in a long while and saw the thread.

If FFG is going to run a story heavy game like L5R, why would they not have someone who is dedicated to it full time in office? Freelancing out something that important seems like a poor decision, but maybe I am not that familiar with how these things go. I'm not trying to be antagonistic mind, but I realize in text it probably looks that way so I'll be happy to let sleeping dogs lie from here.

They had Katrina, but when she left in all honesty one of the most likely candidates would probably be to draw from their existing team of writers all of whom are freelancers

Ooh, Threadomancy...

P.S. They haven't really lost Katrina, she's just moved to working freelance. She's essentially doing all the same story lead stuff, from what I understand.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:38 AM, Saiga Toshizo said:

every comment should be this comment...

Seconded! Heh heh! AllWings for plot lead :P

13 hours ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

Ooh, Threadomancy...

P.S. They haven't really lost Katrina, she's just moved to working freelance. She's essentially doing all the same story lead stuff, from what I understand.

I thought they had moved to more of a story council where the lead from the RPG and a few of the story writers were sharing the work load.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:39 AM, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

As for films that were better than the book, one could offer candidates such as Fight Club , The Princess Bride , Bladerunner , or--if wanted an incredibly polarizing issue-- Jurassic Park .

Princess Bride feels like cheating since the same author wrote both. ;)

also I'm glad this thread was brought back as I missed some quality jokes here the first time.