Leia makes the T-47 Airspeeder work

By Thornoo1, in Army Building

Starting to see the value in cheaper leader options.
Here we see that even with the T-47 Airspeeder there's room for 2 AT-RTs to soak anti armour fire. Leia's take cover ability in conjunction with the trooper's nimble will allow a push up the centre with some certainty they could make it. I'd start with her Coordinated Bombardment to try and whittle some wounds off speeder bikes as her sharpshooter takes care of their cover.
Leia Organa [90]
Commanding Presence [10]
Esteemed Leader [5]

Rebel Troopers [40]
Z-6 Trooper [22]
Rebel Trooper [10]

Rebel Troopers [40]
Z-6 Trooper [22]
Rebel Trooper [10]

Rebel Troopers [40]
Z-6 Trooper [22]
Rebel Trooper [10]

Rebel Troopers [40]
Z-6 Trooper [22]
Rebel Trooper [10]
Rebel Troopers [40]

T-47 Airspeeder [175]
Long-Range Comlink [10]

AT-RT [55]
AT-RT Laser Cannon [35]

AT-RT [55]
AT-RT Laser Cannon [35]

Any thought to mixing in a unit or two of fleet troopers? Especially with a scatter gun. The range is short but the dice are many!

8 hours ago, Thornoo1 said:
Starting to see the value in cheaper leader options.
Here we see that even with the T-47 Airspeeder there's room for 2 AT-RTs to soak anti armour fire. Leia's take cover ability in conjunction with the trooper's nimble will allow a push up the centre with some certainty they could make it. I'd start with her Coordinated Bombardment to try and whittle some wounds off speeder bikes as her sharpshooter takes care of their cover.
Leia Organa [90]
Commanding Presence [10]
Esteemed Leader [5]

Rebel Troopers [40]
Z-6 Trooper [22]
Rebel Trooper [10]

Rebel Troopers [40]
Z-6 Trooper [22]
Rebel Trooper [10]

Rebel Troopers [40]
Z-6 Trooper [22]
Rebel Trooper [10]

Rebel Troopers [40]
Z-6 Trooper [22]
Rebel Trooper [10]
Rebel Troopers [40]

T-47 Airspeeder [175]
Long-Range Comlink [10]

AT-RT [55]
AT-RT Laser Cannon [35]

AT-RT [55]
AT-RT Laser Cannon [35]

I always find it odd to see 4 extra dude upgrades. I'd definitely go for an extra unit or add a Z-6 to your 5th unit before adding extra dudes.

1 hour ago, Gorthaur25 said:

Any thought to mixing in a unit or two of fleet troopers? Especially with a scatter gun. The range is short but the dice are many!

I'd go Grenade Launcher over shotgun just because Blast is always useful and having a range 3 option that ignores cover will average out to roughly the same damage as a normal unit against targets in cover.

1 hour ago, MasterShake2 said:

I always find it odd to see 4 extra dude upgrades. I'd definitely go for an extra unit or add a Z-6 to your 5th unit before adding extra dudes.

I'd go Grenade Launcher over shotgun just because Blast is always useful and having a range 3 option that ignores cover will average out to roughly the same damage as a normal unit against targets in cover.

actually an extra activation is way more valuable than bulking up other units. You can only be shot at one at a time. There will be suppression casualties.

1 hour ago, MasterShake2 said:

16 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

actually an extra activation is way more valuable than bulking up other units. You can only be shot at one at a time. There will be suppression casualties.

I find rebel troopers without an extra model to be very lackluster. Yes, extra activations are good but not if they don't do anything. The extra model keeps the trooper squad around a noticeable amount longer and if you have the Z6 the damage potential of the unit stays high right until the end, not to mention you still have the possibility of putting out 2 suppression tokens.

9 hours ago, Gorthaur25 said:

Th fleet troopers are good in damage output, causing and extra hit in average, but they don’t benefit at much from the dodge token Liea provides due to the lack of nimble. But I may try a few out to see if damage is better than survival

7 hours ago, MasterShake2 said:

I haven’t tried min sized squads yet as prefer to know I’ll have at least few bodies left when I get to an objective. I do however like the idea of an extra activation. I’d go the grenade launcher as well because cover 1 is so easy to get.

I find that the fleet troopers will be excellent objective holders and they effectively throw double the dice of the normal troopers with almost the same hit chance thanks to their surges.

Edited by TallGiraffe
1 hour ago, TallGiraffe said:

I find that the fleet troopers will be excellent objective holders and they effectively throw double the dice of the normal troopers with almost the same hit chance thanks to their surges.

Go have a look here: http://anydice.com/program/d006 it's pretty easy to add Fleet Troops. I did earlier and on average they generate an extra hit per turn.

Another weakness of minimum size squads is that they struggle to push hits through cover. By going to a large unit you accumulate a larger dice pool that can actually kill stormtroopers even in light or heavy cover.

Leia makes everything for the Rebels better...she is a superior "leader" to Luke.
imagine her going with fleet troopers and using her action card that gives 2 units a free move...
Free move, then move, then standby and get a free Aim token...oh are we now close enough to defend that objective? Huh.

1 hour ago, Hidatom said:

Leia makes everything for the Rebels better...she is a superior "leader" to Luke.
imagine her going with fleet troopers and using her action card that gives 2 units a free move...
Free move, then move, then standby and get a free Aim token...oh are we now close enough to defend that objective? Huh.

Remember that it's a move 1 movement. Which is a ~3.5 inch movement...

12 minutes ago, jbiondo said:

Remember that it's a move 1 movement. Which is a ~3.5 inch movement...

right...you use it when the time is right just like all the action cards.

1 hour ago, Hidatom said:

right...you use it when the time is right just like all the action cards.

I feel like ~3.5 inch is very minimal, but that's just me...

Did Leia's other command cards get spoiled somewhere? :huh:

As far as actual critique...

-A sixth squad of troopers is undeniably appealing, but aside from giving your Z-6s fewer ablative wounds and making cover-busting harder, it also means your random activations have a very strong chance of revealing a corps unit. Which might not be what you want.

-I'm not sure commanding presence is needed, particularly with long-range comlink on the T-47. The rebel troopers will want to stick close to Leia anyway, and the AT-RTs probably want to stick close too.

-Points totals are helpful when requesting feedback because they give people a better sense of how many points you have to play around with; with 4 Z-6s, I know you're not actually at 800, but since you didn't list the exact number its harder to suggest places points could be shaved to add more meat to the list unless someone wants to add the numbers up themselves.

Edited by Squark