Who can gain Suppression?

By GoblynByte, in Rules

I think there is some ambiguity on who can gain Suppression tokens. When discussing gaining Suppression, the Rules Reference uses the term "unit." But when discussing the consequences of Suppression it either uses the term "troopers," or (in the case of Panic) refers to "units" which are usually immune to the effect. So, as far as I can tell, there are no consequences to having suppression spelled out for non-trooper units, but non-trooper units are not explicitly excluded from gaining it.

Should I just not bother giving non-troopers suppression? Or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, GoblynByte said:

I think there is some ambiguity on who can gain Suppression tokens. When discussing gaining Suppression, the Rules Reference uses the term "unit." But when discussing the consequences of Suppression it either uses the term "troopers," or (in the case of Panic) refers to "units" which are usually immune to the effect. So, as far as I can tell, there are no consequences to having suppression spelled out for non-trooper units, but non-trooper units are not explicitly excluded from gaining it.

Should I just not bother giving non-troopers suppression? Or am I missing something?

Vehicles can’t be suppressed nor panic. (They have no courage value) So, no, do not assign suppression tokens to them.

3 hours ago, Derrault said:

Vehicles can’t be suppressed nor panic. (They have no courage value) So, no, do not assign suppression tokens to them.

Or you can give them to vehicles, but they have no effect :P . In the end it is the same.

If you follow the RRG even vehicles should get suppression tokens, even when it is pointless (and honestly, no one will do it....).
But it might be that this becomes important with future cards.

9 hours ago, Tokra said:

Or you can give them to vehicles, but they have no effect :P . In the end it is the same.

If you follow the RRG even vehicles should get suppression tokens, even when it is pointless (and honestly, no one will do it....).
But it might be that this becomes important with future cards.

Only troopers can gain suppression tokens.

RRG p. 15:

During an attack, if at any point the attack dice in an attack pool produce at least one hit or critical result and the defender is a trooper , the defender gains a suppression token.

11 minutes ago, Alathazal said:

RRG p. 15:

During an attack, if at any point the attack dice in an attack pool produce at least one hit or critical result and the defender is a trooper , the defender gains a suppression token.

This happens with inconsequent rules ;) .

This sentense is missing in the Suppression part of the RRG on page 41-42. The wording there is:

Units can gain suppression tokens in various ways. Units with suppression tokens improve their cover but can suffer penalties when they are activated.
• After an attack, if the attack dice produced at least one hit () or critical () result, the defender gains a suppression token

But only tropper can gain cover, lose Actions and become paniced. As well on page 42. This is why i said that vehicles can get Tokens but they have no effect.

The part you linked is different and say only trooper can get Tokens (what is more logically).

Second part that is different:
On page 15 it is written: during an attack. In this case the trooper get the token right after the attack roll and has suddenly cover 1 for this attack.
On page 42 is it written: After an attack (the way it should be).

Edited by Tokra
7 hours ago, Alathazal said:

RRG p. 15:

That's the line I was missing. Excellent. Thank you. It would have been much better if they had placed that essential bit of info regarding suppression under the rules for... ya know... suppression. This at least clarifies the rule.