Basing/matt varnish question

By jgibbs2, in Painting

Hey all, I'm finishing up some of my first models, and will be including some snow (woodland scenics glue + woodland scenics snowflake). My question is on when I should spray the Testor's dullcoat spray lacquer on. Should I put the snow on first and then spray it on, or should I spray the lacquer and then apply the snow?

I've heard stories of certain snow turning yellow after time mixing with certain chemicals.

Thanks!

The only thing ive heard about snow turning yellow (aside from the childish obligatory answer inbound <_< ) is when using baking soda. From what ive heard it will over time react just with the air around it and turn yellowish, but ive also heard it can be avoided by varnishing it carefully after applied.

I hope someone with experience can come in here though, I also look to make a winter theme to my models and wonder about varnishing after applying snoweffects, how it might interfere with the snow flock/powder?

It’s hard to say. If you’re heavy handed with the spray and use it close up against the mini, your results could be different from someone who has a lighter touch and sprayers from further away. Or from someone who uses different products. And so on.

If you’re concerned, I’d get two bottle tops from plastic soda bottles, prime them in black or grey, put your snow on both, apply the dullcote to one and see if it makes a difference / which one looks better. If these are your first models, it’s better to take the time to get them right as opposed to doing what you think is an awesome job with the snow only to lose some of that detail to the varnish.

Im expecting my snow powder to arrive before the weekend so will do a test and see how it goes :)

5 hours ago, Soulless said:

The only thing ive heard about snow turning yellow (aside from the childish obligatory answer inbound <_< ) is when using baking soda. From what ive heard it will over time react just with the air around it and turn yellowish, but ive also heard it can be avoided by varnishing it carefully after applied.

I hope someone with experience can come in here though, I also look to make a winter theme to my models and wonder about varnishing after applying snoweffects, how it might interfere with the snow flock/powder?

There is a very easy way to avoid the snow turning yellow when using baking powder: Mix the baking powder with PVA glue and, crucially, white paint. You won't need much paint, probably less than a third. Without it, the snow effect will yellow in about five years. You could just use scenic basing powders for snow but I personally think few of them look like the effect you're trying to achieve.

Yeah, mix in a bit of white paint. But you should be fine spraying varnish over it.

Quick update, I went ahead and sprayed the Testors Dullcoat matte varnish on some figures with snow on the base, and there was absolutely no color change.

My question had more to do with the long term effect of snow discoloration, but we won't know that for awhile :).

For reference, the basing material I used:

Glue - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BL3S34/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Snow - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BLAL70/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Varnish - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009FF6DN4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a picture of the units after the varnish spray. The snow is actually much whiter than in the pictures, the lighting just wasn't that great.

IMG_1889.jpg

Looking good!

That looks really good! Glad to hear the varnish didnt affect the powder!

I also received my snow flock today and have been doing some tests, havent tried varnish over the flock yet but according to the creator it can be applied without any issues so im hopeful!

Very nice!

12 hours ago, jgibbs2 said:

Here's a picture of the units after the varnish spray. The snow is actually much whiter than in the pictures, the lighting just wasn't that great.

IMG_1889.jpg

Umm I mean the effect is really cool, but has the AT-RT really stood in place long enough for Snow to build up on its foot?

2 hours ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

... but has the AT-RT really stood in place long enough for Snow to build up on its foot?

It rolled a blank for damage.

8 hours ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

Umm I mean the effect is really cool, but has the AT-RT really stood in place long enough for Snow to build up on its foot?

Yeah... I’ll need to smooth that out. The stuff was a little hard to apply exactly how I wanted it.

Erm... I mean yes. Totally intentional!

Edited by jgibbs2

I dont think its much of an issue if the snow is applied in a non realistic manner, as long as it looks cool and fits the model!

Sure, the feet and similar wouldnt acquire a big amount of snow when the unit is moving and turning and what not but hey, outside of playing these are more or less miniature statues that will be on display in our cabinets and on our shelves, whatever makes them look interesting works!

On the topic though, if your powder acts the same as mine you should be able to "melt" the powder by applying varnish with a paintbrush. Or maybe airbrush thinner even.

Edited by Soulless
29 minutes ago, jgibbs2 said:

Yeah... I’ll need to smooth that out. The stuff was a little hard to apply exactly how I wanted it.

Erm... I mean yes. Totally intentional!

I mean it is not a massive issue and the effect still looks very good, but I wonder wether it is possible to apply the snow and then glue the mini on (with the snow still wet, definitly needs a clean area for glue, pinning wouldn't be a bad idea either) so it looks like it is stepping into the snow. I wouldn't risk your great model and base by trying to remove the snow from this foot.

Edited by Admiral Deathrain
11 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

I mean it is not a massive issue and the effect still looks very good, but I wonder wether it is possible to apply the snow and then glue the mini on (with the snow still wet, definitly needs a clean area for glue, pinning wouldn't be a bad idea either) so it looks like it is stepping into the snow. I wouldn't risk your great model and base by trying to remove the snow from this foot.

I won't change that one up at all, maybe add a little snow if anything to smooth things out. You could easily explain it away as the feet being drug through different patches of snow. It's not perfect, but I'm also happy with how it is :)

When it was first applied, the snow was much higher, so it looked like it had just dug it's foot it. It settled down much lower, so another coat may be in order.

Edited by jgibbs2
19 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

If you first add some form of basing paste to the base (Vallejo mud effect or similar) you could build up the area around the feet which will look like the model is stepping and sinking into the mud.

Applying snow to this should then give the same effect but with snow! At least thats the idea im working towards atm, though im not finished so cant claim either way!

Both the snow and Vallejo paste "shrank" more than I realized, so keep that in mind if you haven't worked with either before.