Standby and Suppression After Attack

By TallGiraffe, in Rules

So you can spend a Standby token after and attack to perform a free attack action at the attacker. My real question is if you can perform the standby after an attack that has turned up a damage and thus add a suppression token to you.

Suppression tokens are gained after the attack has been done per the RRG Suppression.

However the rules state under the Standby section of RRG that "A standby token can be spent before any effects that trigger after an attack, attack action, move, move action"

Is gaining a Suppression token an effect and therefore you can spend the standby token? Or does the suppression apply before you can spend the token?

Seems like Standby pretty specifically and intentionally happens before Suppression is applied.

Supression is dealt DURNING the attack so it cancel a standby action. "A standby token can be spent before any effects that trigger after an attack, attack action, move, move action" is written when for example darth vader activates, moves but you can use standby before he throws his lightsaber form his free action to for example move out of range.

Edited by Warlordus
47 minutes ago, Warlordus said:

Supression is dealt DURNING the attack so it cancel a standby action. "A standby token can be spent before any effects that trigger after an attack, attack action, move, move action" is written when for example darth vader activates, moves but you can use standby before he throws his lightsaber form his free action to for example move out of range.

Do you have a section for that?

The suppression section is pretty clear that suppression is gained after the attack is resolved.

I don’t believe it’s clear whether gaining a suppression is considered an effect triggered by the attack.

I imagine the intent is that it’s not, but I don’t see anything differentiating it.

well im reading it again and it seems i was wrong :P So for now only way to prevent a standby action is to run and displace standbying unit because then they gain supression durning an action, not after it or fire and hit at beyond range 2.

Edited by Warlordus

I missed this one. Certainly doesn’t help it’s worded differently in the Attack section compared to the Suppression section. Assuming the Suppression section is correct it looks like you can indeed trigger Standby assuming the enemy unit is at range 1-2, before the suppression token is applied.

Could use a little clarification though, in the Attack section it seems to imply the suppression token is applied as soon as a hit or crit result pops up.

Sure:

,,After an attack, if the attack dice produced at least one hit (? or critical (? result, the defender gains a suppression token.

»The defender gains the suppression token after the attack action is resolved.

»The defender gains the suppression token even if all hit (? or critical (? results are canceled and even if it does not suffer any wounds."

Because unit gains supression after attack action is resolved, Standby woudl trigger befire that because it triggers before any after action triggers.

But if we already discuss supression, in rukes it states that if durning a perfirm actiins step a unit has a number of supression tokens egual to its courage value it has one fewer action. What will happen when that standby action will give suoression to a unit that already performed an action? to they lose the second one? i asume xheckinv fir panic is only at the beggining of the activation so that wouldnt matter but what about that first example?

25 minutes ago, Warlordus said:

Sure:

,,After an attack, if the attack dice produced at least one hit (? or critical (? result, the defender gains a suppression token.

»The defender gains the suppression token after the attack action is resolved.

»The defender gains the suppression token even if all hit (? or critical (? results are canceled and even if it does not suffer any wounds."

Because unit gains supression after attack action is resolved, Standby woudl trigger befire that because it triggers before any after action triggers.

But if we already discuss supression, in rukes it states that if durning a perfirm actiins step a unit has a number of supression tokens egual to its courage value it has one fewer action. What will happen when that standby action will give suoression to a unit that already performed an action? to they lose the second one? i asume xheckinv fir panic is only at the beggining of the activation so that wouldnt matter but what about that first example?

"3. Perform Actions: A unit that is not suppressed can perform up to two actions and any number of free actions. A unit that is suppressed or that has lost an action due to being damaged can perform only one action and any number of free actions."

"During the “Perform Actions” step of a trooper unit’s activation, if it has a number of suppression tokens assigned to it that is equal to or greater than its courage value, a player can perform only one action instead of two (plus any number of free actions)."

We have these two sections that seem to apply (Activating units section and a bullet point from the suppression section)

The first point doesn't seem to get into timing much at all. It could possibly be read as something that is checked at the start, but it could also be something that is applicable to the entire perform action step. The second point seems to be pretty clearly applying to the entire perform action step to me.

I'd say if you receive a suppression while performing actions, you'd lose an action.