Height and Movement

By Reuben What Is?, in Rules

I'm confused by the Height rules in the terrain section. Is the "height" being referred to on pg 18 of the rrg the literal height of the leader model, or is it the "Height" value defined on pg 29? Is it the intention of the rules to allow them to ignore buildings that are smaller than them?

Height is measured using the range ruler. Height 1 is anything under range 1 vertically which is 6 inches. Height 2 is anything under range 2 vertically which is 12 inches.

1 hour ago, Patteous said:

Height is measured using the range ruler. Height 1 is anything under range 1 vertically which is 6 inches. Height 2 is anything under range 2 vertically which is 12 inches.

So does that mean troopers ignore buildings 6" and smaller?

No, some types of terrain are "impassible" at any height, for example a Trooper unit can never cross deep water. IIRC the RRG on buildings said both players should agree on what counts as what type of cover and terrain. A window might be light cover and difficult terrain, while stepping though a door is "open".

I would need to double check if you don't roll clamber for terrain lower than height 1, though.

15 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

I would need to double check if you don't roll clamber for terrain lower than height 1, though.

Lower than height 1 is.. height 1 or flat. Pretty sure you roll Clamber.

So can an AT-ST walk over a 5" building?

Sure, if you haven't declared it's impassible terrain to them. But I think all units treat a solid wall as impassible by default.

Correct me if im wrong.

Trooper units can move over terrain that is up to its own height, but doing so will reduce the units movement speed by 1 (to a minimum of 1).

Ground vehicles can move over terrain that is up to HALF its own height, with the same effect of reduced movement speed.

Terrain that is higher then above can only be moved over by climbing or clambering.

Of course, come terrain may be considered impassable even though its height is less then the above but such exceptions should be declared before a game starts.