Palomarus Battle Reports

By Palomarus, in Battle Reports

Since I plan on trying to document all of my weekly games with Legion...

... figures it might be a better idea to cram them all into one single thread from here on out! ?

Here is the 800 point Battle Report for my second full game of Legion:

https://wp.me/p8Unfe-xo

Love this report!! One of the best I've seen, looking forward to more. Glad you decided to "stay the course" with your list and keep an independent variable.

Did your opponent not lose one of his bikes by colliding on his compulsory move on turn 1? It looks like he just took one damage when it should totally destroy one mini.

Also, I like how you kept mission focus with your AT-RTs and used them to suppress/attack enemy troops. Seems like with this goal you might want to use a rotary blaster instead? (after you conclude your 4 matches unchanged, that is!) Or was the range advantage working for you against the troops?

Amazing bat rep.

I share your thought with you about rotary blaster and the fact that your regular troops can deal with anything the rotary can deal with. I don't like that much the imp list tho. Speeder bikes (no matter how much hard they hit) and an at-st make the list poor in models, which, imo, cost him the game (by not being able like you to play with the reinforcement).

Still, amazing. Will follow your next bat rep with much attention ;)

Love the report!

What are your thoughts against enemies not using AT-STs with the LasCan RTs?

Looked they worked well holding down the ST.

Kinda confirms my initial opinion that LasCan are really only worth it in pairs and if they exclusively hunt non-speeder armor.

Against anything other than STs and RTs without cover/dodge the Rotrary is just better in general (except for the range 4 pot-shots, which is definitely worth something).

Love the report; I completely agree with you about ignoring the AT-ST, dodging line of sight from it and playing the objective is always better than trying to gun it down.

One thing that I noticed though, is in the first round you said the speeders couldn't complete their compulsory move and took a damage, in actuality they should have taken 3 damage (one speeder) as the penalty for not completing a full move with compulsory is damage = to max speed.

Keep the battle reports coming!

Even if your primary goal was to reduce your opponent’s firepower and not focusing on objective grabbing units, the stormtroopers still would have been the better target.

A squad of stormtroopers with a DLT-19 puts out an average of 3.625 hits per turn (without aim) and takes 6 wounds to destroy.

An AT-ST with a twin light blaster cannon upgrade puts out an average of 4.5 hits per turn, but takes 11 wounds to destroy.

When you further account for the fact that each wound caused to a stormtrooper unit reduces its firepower incrementally, but the AT-ST maintains its full firepower until (at a minimum) reaching its resilience threshold, the stormtroopers are the clear target.

Unless you think you can quickly and completely destroy an AT-ST, you are just doing your opponent a favor by shooting it instead of a softer, more damage efficient target.

19 minutes ago, Orkimedes said:

Unless you think you can quickly and completely destroy an AT-ST, you are just doing your opponent a favor by shooting it instead of a softer, more damage efficient target.

Serious question, is it a mistake to ever attack an AT-ST then? As a Rebel, should the walkers always be around at the end of the game unless all other targets are taken out first? That seems to be the logical conclusion.

I’m not sure it’s always a mistake. Sometimes stormtroopers can actually be a more durable target; for example, if they are in cover, depending on the type, you are losing 1-2 hits every time you target them right off the top. That’s especially bad for attack with a low dice count (like the RT laser cannon).

That said, if an AT-ST ends the game with one wound left, you’ve completely wasted whatever firepower you dedicated to removing those first 10 wounds.

I think that’s just a long way of saying, if you target a vehicle, make darn sure you plan to destroy it.

50 minutes ago, Revan2501 said:

One thing that I noticed though, is in the first round you said the speeders couldn't complete their compulsory move and took a damage, in actuality they should have taken 3 damage (one speeder) as the penalty for not completing a full move with compulsory is damage = to max speed.

You are absolutely correct that they take 1 per speed... for 3 wounds! ?

We misses that in the first read through of the rules. But also, now looking at the email chains from Alex Davy... I think they wouldn’t take any damage now, as it is a Terrain piece under their speeder rating, so they would stop short with no penalty. But we will have to wait for the first FAQ to be 100% sure.

Also I got an 800 point scheduled for tonight... so expect the next report early next week.

Great report!

2 hours ago, Thevshi said:

Great report!

Thanks for the kind words!

On 20/04/2018 at 5:16 AM, Big Easy said:

Serious question, is it a mistake to ever attack an AT-ST then? As a Rebel, should the walkers always be around at the end of the game unless all other targets are taken out first? That seems to be the logical conclusion.

I look at how fast can I reasonably kill it? I'm running 3 las-cannon ATRTs (because **** I love range 4). I figure they can kill it in three turns, have a chance in 2 turns with a bit of help or luck, and remember that order of activations can almost cut a turn right out.

e.g. 1: I moved an ATRT to ping the ATST at range 4. It advanced into range 3 to shoot back. I then had two ATRTs aim and shoot back, and a z-6 squad went fishing for crits too. Next round I Ambushed the damaged one to shoot before it died, then aimed and shot with the other two as well. A trooper squad did the last point. Dead chicken. It got two shots off all game.

E.g. 2: In this game I got an ATRT killed early by the ATST, and there were bikes coming around next turn. Two ATRTs against all of that are doomed. So I ran them both out of LOS to the ATST to look for easier pickin's. Plinked away at Vader, actually, and we ended up potting him (pretty much the whole army go in on that, but again, range 4!).

Work out if you can kill it fast. If you can, then do it. If not, leave it alone.

Great Battle Report thanks!

Bloody good!

And because The One Rule of Batreps is for everyone to beat you up for your mistakes: Ally is the force only works on troopers, so nuthin' for Wedge, the big show pony. Give someone else the glory, whydontchya?

I'm an idiot: you've got battle meditation now. Duh.

(Just to share the shame around a little: your batrep is the first time I realised that Luke doesn't have Master of the Force. I have been a massive cheater in every game I've ever played...)

Edited by Weatsop

3 hours ago, Weatsop said:

(Just to share the shame around a little: your batrep is the first time I realised that Luke doesn't have Master of the Force. I have been a massive cheater in every game I've ever played...)

Lol. Yeah between you and me... so don’t tell anyone else on this forum please... but I played Luke as having Pierce 3 like his Papa does for the entire Demo Week before I realized it!

#lightsidearecheatersforlife ?

So in this batrep you said you started doubting the use of Laser Cannon ATRTs. Could you expound on that? This matchup didn't have any armor, so I can see how they would start to feel not useful. I haven't gotten enough games in yet to figure out how I like ATRT weaponry. I've enjoyed Laser Cannons when I used them, and I enjoyed Rotary Cannons when I used them. Lol

30 minutes ago, Matt Antilles said:

So in this batrep you said you started doubting the use of Laser Cannon ATRTs. Could you expound on that? This matchup didn't have any armor, so I can see how they would start to feel not useful. I haven't gotten enough games in yet to figure out how I like ATRT weaponry. I've enjoyed Laser Cannons when I used them, and I enjoyed Rotary Cannons when I used them. Lol

IMO, Lasers are costly, and are less efficient against targets in cover.
However, they have more range which allows them to compensate the rebellion's short ranges, allows them to survive a bit more by staying out of reach, and don't really care about the minimal range (just charge whatever is in the minimal range for three red dice). It also allows for more aim+shoot situations.

It's a choice. I feel that since they have surge to crit, they still go through cover pretty decently and are great at providing suppression tokens. I use them against infantry mostly, generally ignoring AT-STs that you will lose duels against anyway.

Edited by Deuzerre
1 hour ago, Matt Antilles said:

So in this batrep you said you started doubting the use of Laser Cannon ATRTs. Could you expound on that?

Pretty much exactly what @Deuzerre said above... the Laser Cannons are situationally awesome.... but I feel the 5 dice of the rotary might be better on average!

The range 4 is nice... but two of the objectives require us to close in on points that make the range benefit negligible anyways, not to mention the Low Visibility condition card which is great for Rebels to counter a kitted out AT-ST also hurts our Laser Cannons.

Lastly I see that the meta is going to be more Troop focused, at least for the meantime, so that’s another buff to the Rotary Cannons.

I am going to make the changes for a few games and see though... I might be wrong and have to go back to the Laser Cannons.

@ Palomarus : You should try to have three AT-RT with flamethrowers (maybe 1 with jammer).

This is extremely threatening to any imperial player that will focus fire them over anything else, while providing cover for your troops behind. Very fun.