Imperial Assault Campaign Hero Tier List

By CKLSK, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Very sorry about the delay, and thank you everyone who contributed.

Here is the tier list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WpCY1W0MjcRv_k2enMAX_rB1Qg-_lPZCkYuXVKRS54U/edit?usp=sharing

S-Tier Heroes
Gideon Argus S+ 4.92
Fenn Signis S 4.65
Diala Passil S 4.41
Shyla Varad S 4.35
Vinto Hreeda S- 4.14
A-Tier Heroes
Mak Eshka'rey A+ 3.91
Drokkatta A+ (Honorary) 3.74
Varena Talos A+ (Honorary) 3.74
Gaarkhan A 3.72
Jyn Odan A 3.69
MDH-19 A 3.49
Ko-Tun Feralo A 3.41
Onar Koma A 3.34
Murne Rin A 3.27
Jarrod Kelvin A- 3.25
Davith Elso A- 3.17
B-Tier Heroes
Loku Kanoloa B+ 2.95
C-Tier Heroes
Saska Teft C+ 1.95
Biv Bodhrik C+ 1.82

The link to survey data and histograms can be found on the sheet or by following this link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zvAYGTByHy_dltrCMPEFM3JVyQszkkQC?usp=sharing

Edited by CKLSK
formatting

Thanks for posting this! I’m actually a bit surprised that overall it lines up pretty closely with how I would rate them. With that said, I think I would rate :

* Davith: B (easy to wound, wounded loses force speed which makes him very immobile, can be hard to pull off all the tricks he feels like he can do)

* Onar: B+ (No defense makes him fairly easy to wound, 4 speed and endurance with no upgrade)

* MHD: A- (can be good in the right campaign but a step below most other support characters in my experience)

* Jarrod: A (maybe recency bias but can become extremely difficult to wound, low credit investment required to be effective due to Jax)

8 minutes ago, machfalcon said:

Thanks for posting this! I’m actually a bit surprised that overall it lines up pretty closely with how I would rate them. With that said, I think I would rate :

* Davith: B (easy to wound, wounded loses force speed which makes him very immobile, can be hard to pull off all the tricks he feels like he can do)

* Onar: B+ (No defense makes him fairly easy to wound, 4 speed and endurance with no upgrade)

* MHD: A- (can be good in the right campaign but a step below most other support characters in my experience)

* Jarrod: A (maybe recency bias but can become extremely difficult to wound, low credit investment required to be effective due to Jax)

That sounds reasonable, but I tried to make this completely objective based on the numbers.

That said, I allowed Drokkata and Verena to go up to A+ due to being 3.74, and knocked Jarrod down due to being 3.25 so maybe I'm a hypocrite, lol.

Is it me, or is Biv overrated?

Seriously though, I was expecting a bit more of a bell curve. Most heroes should be A's but I would have expected a couple of more to be B's and C's.

Onar is one of the best, a hero that early campaign can roll 3 red dice just spending 400 credits is a game changer. Campaign will soon snowball on rebel side. I think this result is because only few people really got how good could be a Hand Cannon with Don't Make Me Hurt You.

1 hour ago, CKLSK said:

That sounds reasonable, but I tried to make this completely objective based on the numbers.

That said, I allowed Drokkata and Verena to go up to A+ due to being 3.74, and knocked Jarrod down due to being 3.25 so maybe I'm a hypocrite, lol.

Oh, sorry, I understood what you were doing but thought I would add some discussion about the results.

I'm a little surprised to see Jyn so firmly mid-table. She's incredibly mobile and good at objective running. She's one of my favourite heroes. I also think Loku has been hard done by. Not surprised to see Biv bringing up the rear, but I thought there'd be more of a gap between him and Saska.

I came to believe that any hero built and played right can be strong (except maybe Biv, bad execution of an interesting design...)

Some heroes like Onar have high power potential, but can easily be played wrong (this is a counter intuitive hero to play). A higher skill cap hero like that will always be rated below true power.

It would be great to have such a large statistics tier list for Imperial Class decks!

3 hours ago, Mr Licorice said:

I came to believe that any hero built and played right can be strong (except maybe Biv, bad execution of an interesting design...)

The fact that all but 3 of the heroes are in the A and S tiers seems to bear that out.

7 hours ago, Tvboy said:

The fact that all but 3 of the heroes are in the A and S tiers seems to bear that out.

What are the metrics you have used to determine the values?

10 hours ago, Majushi said:

What are the metrics you have used to determine the values?

I didn't make this tier list. The OP ran a poll asking people to assign each hero a grade and got hundreds of responses. The tier list is an aggregate result that uses the Wisdom of the Crowd .

I personally disagree with the letter grades some of the heroes got, but the actual rankings are mostly in line with my own, with just a couple of small exceptions. Actually if the cutoff for S-tier was 4.5 and the cutoff for A-tier was 3.5, the grades would pretty much match my own personal grades, and the distribution of the grades would look a lot more centered. But of course that would be moving the goal posts from the original survey that was done.

9 hours ago, Tvboy said:

I didn't make this tier list. The OP ran a poll asking people to assign each hero a grade and got hundreds of responses. The tier list is an aggregate result that uses the Wisdom of the Crowd .

I personally disagree with the letter grades some of the heroes got, but the actual rankings are mostly in line with my own, with just a couple of small exceptions. Actually if the cutoff for S-tier was 4.5 and the cutoff for A-tier was 3.5, the grades would pretty much match my own personal grades, and the distribution of the grades would look a lot more centered. But of course that would be moving the goal posts from the original survey that was done.

Ah, my apologies. I wasn't aware of the origin of the works.

With the data being so subjective it will obviously skew the results a little in places. (Party composition plays a huge part in a characters usefulness as observed by its player or teammates)

But overall it should be mostly accurate.

I am legitimately surprised by how high mak is rated and how low loku is. Mak doesn't really do anything besides kill people and i found loku to be a very strong support when I was running him.

while your subjectivity here really only reinforces my point above, it also highlights the relativity of a group composition to determine value of individual characters.

I don’t think Loku is great, but I don’t think he is bad either.

Mak has a lot of tricks, and when killing Imperials is the name of the game 9 times out of 10 I’d prefer the one who does it better...

How are you normally building out mak? I have played 3 campaigns against him and one with him in my squad when I was loku and the only time he shined was when I put lokus tokens on crates allowing him to get four actions in a turn with the free action after an interact. I am entirely open to the idea that I just haven't seen a good build or a good player for him though.

Sorry, but I'm stupid. What does "S-tire" mean?

18 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

Sorry, but I'm stupid. What does "S-tire" mean?

Super

Right, but is there a reason to use S-A-B-C instead of A-B-C-D? (Not trying to be difficult; I'm just curious about the decision). "Super sounds better" for the top tire is good enough explanation for me, if that's the case :)

On 9/16/2018 at 3:16 AM, angelman2 said:

Right, but is there a reason to use S-A-B-C instead of A-B-C-D? (Not trying to be difficult; I'm just curious about the decision). "Super sounds better" for the top tire is good enough explanation for me, if that's the case :)

S-Tier is a weird carry-over from video games. Arcade games frequently grade players A-D post level ... then somewhere down the line a Japanese dev introduced giving 100%-ish players the rating of SUPER.

So when it's done right - A rating is a very good rating. S is generally near broken. .... and anyone who's played Vinto efficiently, dealing out unblockable damage to everything in existing including the imperial player as a person, he's kinda borderline broken (we actually put minor adjustments to throttle him back. just some strain expenses).

... any rate, I'm kinda surprised that Gideon is S+ ... 'cause everyone in our group hates playing as him. I mean, I guess he's efficient, but he's super boring mechanics wise and has no character/thematic/personality appeal.

Edited by thinkbomb

Wow, that's an excellent piece of trivia, @thinkbomb ! Thanks :D

As for Gideon, I guess you have to like being a facilitator of greatness (which I do) to appreciate him, but by the Whills, he is great! ;)

On 10/14/2018 at 2:06 PM, thinkbomb said:

I'm  kinda surprised that Gideon is S+ ... 'cause everyone in  our group hates playing as him. I mean, I guess he's effi  cient, but he's super boring mechanics wise and has no     character/thematic/personality    a  p   p   e  al.         

In our campaigns the Gideon player has tended to be a little bit of an alpha gamer, but not in a bad way. They constantly were examining various possibilities and presenting them to the team (ex: “if I go first and give you a move, you’ll be in position to... or you could go first and try to... then I could give you an attack to...”). As the keeper of extra actions they were focused on the action economy of the group.

But yeah, it was rare they got to chuck some dice. He’s dependent on what you find fun... although we did have one mission where a balked defense roll resulted in him popping an AT-ST with his holdout blaster. The player found that to be a lot of fun; I did not.

Edited by Uninvited Guest
On 10/16/2018 at 6:25 PM, Uninvited Guest said:

But yeah, it was rare they got to chuck some dice.

Not that, as an Imperial player, I've ever wanted to encourage more play of Gideon since he's so strong and we see him more than enough... but... one house rule I use is that whoever is playing Gideon's gets to roll the dice attack dice of the attacker when using Command. Rolling dice is part of the fun of playing this game.

1 hour ago, machfalcon said:

Not that, as an Imperial player, I've ever wanted to encourage more play of Gideon since he's so strong and we see him more than enough... but... one house rule I use is that whoever is playing Gideon's gets to roll the dice attack dice of the attacker when using Command. Rolling dice is part of the fun of playing this game.

Not a bad idea. My solution was to make him roll his defense die more often ?

3 hours ago, machfalcon said:

Yeah, my heroes have never chosen Gideon, but if they ever did I'd probably implement that rule as well.

Also, thoughts from anyone on how Tress and Wildfire fare on the scale?

On 10/14/2018 at 7:06 PM, thinkbomb said:

S-Tier is a weird carry-over from video games. Arcade games frequently grade players A-D post level ... then somewhere down the line a Japanese dev introduced giving 100%-ish players the rating of SUPER.

So when it's done right - A rating is a very good rating. S is generally near broken. .... and anyone who's played Vinto efficiently, dealing out unblockable damage to everything in existing including the imperial player as a person, he's kinda borderline broken (we actually put minor adjustments to throttle him back. just some strain expenses).

... any rate, I'm kinda surprised that Gideon is S+ ... 'cause everyone in our group hates playing as him. I mean, I guess he's efficient, but he's super boring mechanics wise and has no character/thematic/personality appeal.

I think the scale is based on his power and efficiency. With Masterstroke and mobile tactition you effectively get 3 actions for the price of 1 action. (Use Command, get a free command, each command gives you 2mp.) Not to mention 2 of those actions can be attacks as well. Coupled with his ability to remove strain from allies to help the more strain focused heroes out, he is by far the best support on the game.

I am really glad the other support heroes are more hybrids than just a pure support. Since I agree that Gideon is abysmal for fun and enjoyment. You won't be doing much, just running around, ordering and resting.