"Begun, this paint war has" (Added Lothal speeder bikes)

By Tvayumat, in Painting

Man, it's been awhile. A Clone Wars starter box fell out of a truck (or so I told my wife), so it looks like I'm back to painting!

5sXL0pv.jpg

20200707_153030.jpg

v58XxjS.jpg

NFWaA8s.jpg

JBCRJbL.jpg

M94Xa0S.jpg

2szllntn9q451.jpg

w8kx9o1id0251.jpg

ea80mik7xqz41.jpg

YaqSQdz.jpg

TM0UHzq.jpg

fa4Qdjs.jpg

5IYpl0W.jpg

M2ssxd2.jpg

gHsLTaN.jpg

7gxe87e89fu41.jpg

94713346_2508504699415146_44831552823938

oe3hpun1vov41.jpg

So, got offered a deal I couldn't refuse by a friend looking to offload three Core Set's worth of Rebel models, and with my never wanting to paint stormtroopers again (Who am I kidding? It's probably a matter of time) I decided to try and find a fun flavor for the galaxy's underdogs.

So I thought... what about a group of former Imperial prisoners who turned their prison uniforms into battle fatigues, and use liberated Imperial equipment against their oppressors?

uFzeRWzh.jpg

Started with the three AT-RTs, and quickly moved on to getting a tabletop level Luke done, just finished the first trooper squad. Five more to go!

EDIT: Consolidating into primary post

1GR7deo.jpg

2Hs9Di9l.jpg xnHBEZ8l.jpg

KKvIolb.jpg

YI3bmE9.jpg

Edited by Tvayumat

I really like this paintscheme! They will certianly "pop" on the table but without it looking silly or artificial, it just looks **** right!

Superb job!

Excellent all round. Luke is particularly good

Awesome work

How did you get that fade? The area, for example, on the driver’s thigh?

Base and a wash

Base with glaze

Airbrush effect

New guy minus an airbrush and have been trying to figure out how to do that with a series of browns on my Rebels

Watch Sorastro's painting videos. Especially the rebel squad video. He uses a wet brush after painting (paint has to be still wet) to blend the two colors together and create a gradient

5 hours ago, MasterZelgadis said:

Watch Sorastro's painting videos. Especially the rebel squad video. He uses a wet brush after painting (paint has to be still wet) to blend the two colors together and create a gradient

I've tried something like this on my Stormtrooper's helmets and failed. How wet is his brush? And I thought I didn't use enough paint - do you have to have a decent amount on there to have enough to spread it around? I tried it with a Citadel "Layer" paint, but maybe that was too thin to add water too?

Man, these look amazing! Luke looks great. I like the rust effect on the AT-RT's. I quite like how the Rebel Squad Leader looks too!

Great job!

Excellent color scheme too - reminds me a little of the LEGO Power Miners theme (one of the few LEGO themes that I liked enough to buy every single set from it):

8960-1.jpg?200812010333

Those AT-RTs look awesome.

On 3/28/2018 at 7:14 PM, Dash Two said:

Awesome work

How did you get that fade? The area, for example, on the driver’s thigh?

Base and a wash

Base with glaze

Airbrush effect

New guy minus an airbrush and have been trying to figure out how to do that with a series of browns on my Rebels

Zenithal highlights, my man. Works best with an airbrush, and is a pretty quick shortcut to some basic highlighting once you figure out paint consistency to lay over it.

I think sorastro has been showing how to do these lately.

Edited by Tvayumat

@Tvayumat

I found your photos on FB. Once I zoomed I figured it was zenithal ... light over a dark. I am new ... brand new ... and was able to get a little of that with a pair of rattle cans. Nothing as subtle as you got.

Appreciate the reply.

Best Rebels I have seen so far, very original idea!

I love it.

What color orange and blue for the squad leader?

What products / colors did you use on the base? You achieved a nice asphalt adjacent effect I've been trying to pull off and yours looks almost exactly like what I had in my head.

I love the bold colour scheme Tvayumat! Bravo :)

your paint job is so well done if i was facing you across the table i'd feel awful for every model i removed from your army. Almost like i'm desecrating an ancient temple.

do you make any advanced painting tutorials? i do some nice paint jobs myself but i'd like to take it to the next level and i think someone like you is just what i need to put me up there

Edited by executor
On 3/31/2018 at 9:34 AM, KalEl814 said:

What products / colors did you use on the base? You achieved a nice asphalt adjacent effect I've been trying to pull off and yours looks almost exactly like what I had in my head.

I am loathe to confess that the basing on my rebels is a somewhat failed application of Agrellan Badland from Citadel. I had a big bottle laying around from who knows how long ago, and decided to use it.

I should have known better, because now I have to either buy more of that overpriced gunk or just pick a suitable replacement from Vallejo.

Anyway, it's just painted gray, washed black, drybrushed gray/light gray/white.

Alright so, I told myself it was rebels only this time, but that lasted all of a week so... going with a "Fresh off the Death Star" look for my stormtroopers.

My custom regiment is Captain Officer's Generic White Armored Standard Operating Procedure Troopers, the most feared (and least recognized) troopers in the entire Empire.

1GR7deo.jpg

Those stormies look fantastic! The shading is brilliant and I really like the bases!

I heard the Generic White Armor Divison is plan B in the unlikely event that the Death Star is destroyed :D

3 minutes ago, Soulless said:

Those stormies look fantastic! The shading is brilliant and I really like the bases!

I heard the Generic White Armor Divison is plan B in the unlikely event that the Death Star is destroyed :D

Like anything could destroy the Death Star.

I don't know where you get your delusions, laser brain.

Edited by Tvayumat
11 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

Like anything could destroy the Death Star.

I don't know where you get your delusions, laser brain.

Oh its probably nothing, I just heard some nerfhearder talk about a chute or something...Nevermind, hey have you checked out the new TB-16s?

Edited by Soulless

Great looking stormtroopers. Thats the sort of style Im working towards. How did you do the bases; sanded smooth, painted and gloss varnish?

On 4/8/2018 at 9:08 AM, Alan Noir said:

Great looking stormtroopers. Thats the sort of style Im working towards. How did you do the bases; sanded smooth, painted and gloss varnish?

They're black gloss acrylic bases from Rebel Lightworks. Add a little paint through the masking and they work great.

The rebel troops and Luke look fantastic but I’m blown away by your stormtroopers. I’m struggling just to get them to look decent for the tabletop and yours are art.

I’m really impressed by the blue divers in the side of the helmets (not sure if there is a word for these). They are super clean. Did you get this by doing the recesses and then highlighting over top? It just looks beautiful.

as far as the aesthetics I also love what you did with the officers pauldron. Lots of people are painting it a solid color (which looks fine), but I like a border on it. Yours is the best I’ve seen.

Been chipping away at my imperial forces. AT-ST has been mounted with ball and socket magnet so the head has full swivel. More to come.

xnHBEZ8.jpg

q6sHtSq.jpg

WBowL4O.jpg