painting rebels, schemes and techniques?

By Hidatom, in Painting

I have seen all the current videos on painting the troops and vehicles but what I want to know is how YOU will be painting your rebs?
what paint schemes, what primer, any special techniques.

my fist 2 squads were done with "British infantry" primer spray with a heavy zenith spray of light tan. Most of the pants were painted in "GI green" (battlefront) with a few done is Zandri Dust (GW) or Maverick Khaki (Battlefront) the rest of the gear was pretty random tans, brown and green but not s random to move away from the general theme.
I spent way too much time on them for the crappy paint jobs I ended up doing so my next 3 squads will be heavy primer of British infantry spray (Plastic soldier company) with a light green like USMC tank crew (Vallejo)or GI Green (battlefront) for the gear, gaiters and hat...the helmet will be a deep green like Waagh Flesh (GW) or Deep Green (Vallejo), weapons will be black with silver touch ups, boots will be black, undershirt will be Stone Golem (Army painter), poncho might be Zandri dust or Maverick Khaki and the whole thing will be washed in dark tone or military shader (Army painter), Skin tones will be all over the place, though most will be in the Caucasian range.

By the way I REALLY like the battlefront paints...the bottle is the BEST I have used the the formulation rarely separates after a good shake.

Edited by Hidatom

I'm still mapping mine out. Looking at the various color schemes that other people have done. Also need to see what paints are available.

For my rebels I'm doing one squad in a USCG scheme so white base, orange secondaries, some blues for highlights. I can't decide though if I want to wait for fleet troopers for that one. I always liked the Utapau troopers and think the scheme will translate well to rebels.

It's a ways out too but I'm planning on doing the geonosis flame thrower scheme on those snow troopers.

1 hour ago, amsowers said:

I'm still mapping mine out. Looking at the various color schemes that other people have done. Also need to see what paints are available.

For my rebels I'm doing one squad in a USCG scheme so white base, orange secondaries, some blues for highlights. I can't decide though if I want to wait for fleet troopers for that one. I always liked the Utapau troopers and think the scheme will translate well to rebels.

It's a ways out too but I'm planning on doing the geonosis flame thrower scheme on those snow troopers.

that sounds cool, definitely get a white primer for that paint scheme and paint the orange parts a neutral color like grey or brown before painting Orange on the. Painting orange over a white base is painful :)

Something to keep in mind when painting Rebels is that During the original trilogy Lucas gave the good guys a color palette consisting mainly of earth tones. In contrast the bad guys are black, white or a shade of grey.

I'm planning on a RFT-based color scheme - light blue, black, grey, white.

3 hours ago, Hidatom said:

I have seen all the current videos on painting the troops and vehicles but what I want to know is how YOU will be painting your rebs?
what paint schemes, what primer, any special techniques.

I’ve done 4 squads so far (3 storm trooper, 1 rebel) with another stormtrooper squad primed.

I’m doing brush priming; white primer.

For the rebels, After priming I go assembly line doing each section:

faces/heads, helmet top, helmet rim, bandoleers/pockets, weapons/metal parts of backpacks, galoshes, shirts, gloves, jackets/pants, camouflage pattern using various shades of green.

i tried painting after super glue assembly, but it’s annoying trying to hit the locations in between arms, so for future squads I’m doing painting before assembly, with some touch ups after supergluing.

I’m not painting any bases, as all the basing choices I’ve seen look terribly out of place once you change scenery.

I figured out if your scheme is going to be analogous on the color wheel ... let's say earth tones/browns ... a pair of colored primers knocks out A BUNCH of the work.

Dark primer and zenithal lighter primer. At that point you could paint all the gear; wash and call it a day, assuming you want a basic table top standard.

Could do the same with greens very easily.

has anyone tried to do a "Dennison smock" style camouflage for the troopers wearing ponchos?

(Dennison smocks are what the British Airborne wore over their uniform and had a 3 color camo scheme of tan, green and red-brown)
since my base uniform color is "English uniform" (a brown with a little green in it) I thought I might try a 3 color camo on the Ponchos