Al's Painting thread (latest progress 10 May)

By Alan Noir, in Painting

Hi all,

Hope everyone's digging the new minis. They were good enough to take me out of painting retirement following a 3 year break. My teenage brother also had a hand in these. First up is the stormtroopers. I've used a little blue in the shade to hopefully make the armour look shiny. We're painting in batch, but I did one as a test. We plan to make the core set as generic as possible, but theme any additional sets. C&C welcome

qzU65LO.jpg

hMF6LKY.jpg

nnvfjyh.jpg

comparison shot

UI1nKTA.jpg

and a slight conversion

5CDwlQ4.jpg

Edited by Alan Noir

Would you mind post a list of the paints you used? I am working with Ceramite White and Nuln Oil. TBH I'm having a **** of a time with washing these guys. Maybe I'm just an inexperienced paint.

I can't recall the exact names, and the paints are in my parents' house. I'll be calling over again tomorrow, so I'll double check then. This was only a test-piece so i'll probably tone down some of the transitions a little. Temple Guard Blue, Kantor Blue, white scar, ultuhan grey I think.

sprayed black, mid grey then white (zenithal - as demonstrated in Sorastoros videos)

The main layer then was a 50:50 ulthuhan grey and white

the lighter shade was a mix of the temple guard blue and the above white mix, (may have been a mix of temple guard blue, kantor blue and the white/grey mix.

and the deeper blue shade was kantor blue and the white mix. then the upper highlights were just pure white scar.

this was my main reference, though mine are whiter. stormtrooper-rogue-one-a-star-wars-new.j

Edited by Alan Noir

@Alan Noir Considering those Stormtroopers are wading through water, They're reflecting the blue colouring of Scarif's tropical seas.

If you were using a bluish reflection design on the troopers you could base them as though they were doing a beach assault, which would probably be a pretty unique design, at least until we get Shoretroopers...

4 hours ago, Indy_com said:

@Alan Noir Considering those Stormtroopers are wading through water, They're reflecting the blue colouring of Scarif's tropical seas.

If you were using a bluish reflection design on the troopers you could base them as though they were doing a beach assault, which would probably be a pretty unique design, at least until we get Shoretroopers...

I dont intend to take it as far as the photograph. Maybe sonewhere down the line Ill do a themed beach squad

On 28/03/2018 at 3:16 PM, Xiervak said:

Would you mind post a list of the paints you used? I am working with Ceramite White and Nuln Oil. TBH I'm having a **** of a time with washing these guys. Maybe I'm just an inexperienced paint.

I double checked and the shade I used was a mix of thunderhawk blue and white scar.

Made a little more progress today. these were photographed in more natural light than the previous ones

CBVpkFX.jpg

DnzXjmN.jpg

Looking good!

hPQhfaj.jpg

Im taking an awful risk...this had better work...

Not sure where this is going, exactly, but I support risk taking.

@Alan Noir He's gonna be pink, isn't he.

iqmw5qfbx2601.jpg

ooTdIOE.jpg

Nothing too groundbreaking I'm afraid. Didnt quite pull off what I wanted with the blueish pre-shade. Gloss varnish is drying all patchy.

Looking good. You can thin the varnish down a little and apply a second coat.

Also consider thinning your paints a little more as well.

Yeah, thinning things down a bit might help you. But I think Vader looks good here. I’d certainly be happy if mine comes out this well.

5 hours ago, Gorthaur25 said:

Looking good. You can thin the varnish down a little and apply a second coat.

Also consider thinning your paints a little more as

Despite how it looks, I do paint with very thin layers. The varnish coat makes it look sloppy and thick though. I killed the gloss in the end. Peeled some off and added matt washes. Just a bit frustrating, its far below my best work. 4 years out of practice. Ive got it to an ok place but still some touching up to do. I am happy with the vibrancy of the saber though. Thanks for the tip on thinning gloss.

CA5uFap.jpg

dIT2hjZ.jpg

v45bM9U.jpg

Nice job on your OSL from the lightsaber. It's subtle enough I had to look twice to see it, which is perfect if you ask me.

I was thinking I would pass on doing OSL on mine, but you may have just convinced me to try.

3 minutes ago, Albertese said:

Nice job on your OSL from the lightsaber. It's subtle enough I had to look twice to see it, which is perfect if you ask me.

I was thinking I would pass on doing OSL on mine, but you may have just convinced me to try.

Thanks. There are good cases for and against osl, but in this instance I think its hard to get the lightsaber look without it, even though they didnt reflect glow in the original movies. My brother remarked that a lot of non osl lightsabers look like long baloons. I cant unsee that now!

Your lightsaber is amazing, you absolutely nailed it.

18 minutes ago, Chucknuckle said:

Your lightsaber is amazing, you absolutely nailed it.

Thanks, that's very kind.

On 3/28/2018 at 11:53 AM, Alan Noir said:

this  was my main reference, though mine are whiter.    stormtrooper-rogue-one-a-star-wars-new.j

That’s an amazing picture. Where is it from? I would love to find a poster of this...

I like the OSL too, most times it comes off as too much (overkill), but yours is subtle enough to look really good.

On 5/5/2018 at 2:06 PM, BigBadAndy said:

That’s an amazing picture. Where is it from? I would love to find a poster of this...

Think I just googled "rogue one stormtrooper" or "scarif stormtrooper"

Finally got a few days ahead just to myself. Got cracking on Luke Skywalker. Happier with this than Vader though Im not 100% with the osl. Might need more contrast with the rest of the model. Hands are sloppy. Suggestions welcome

PacFcdi.jpg

fw41OZO.jpg

2Y2ePoQ.jpg

hEcsklk.jpg

i9GDTsF.jpg

Day 2, tried out a potential colour scheme. Very happy with this one, but I may keep it to a single squad. Starting to get my mojo back

ZLz2UFN.jpg

a84SWkm.jpg

0OBQ8V9.jpg

GptlOvR.jpg

Got these bad boys pretty much done. Thanks for the tip on thinning gloss varnish. Cant wait for the scout troopers on foot

PgSUMaR.jpg

ZQBpJgI.jpg

OlUFai8.jpg

My 16 year old bro painted the walker here pretty much unassisted. Just followed the Sorastro vid and put his own colours on. Just one or two touch ups to go but I think he did great for being pretty inexperienced.(I did the driver a few weeks ago.)

x0zcfw4.jpg