Game Prequel Thoughts - The Clone Wars

By GILLIES291, in Star Wars: Rebellion

Love them or hate them there are some very epic battles fought in the Clone Wars, and the TV show really fleshed out that era with some quality stories and amazing set pieces. I personally would love to see a separate prequel game called the Clone Wars built on a similar fashion.

Seemingly Equal-ish footings to begin with forces-wise but Republic has much higher production values and Separatists have weaker units, so quickly the Separatists will be outmatched and on the defensive. Separatists have the outer rim and Republic has the core.

The Separatists have a secret base that the Republic must find to eliminate the Separatist command and thus find out the identity of Darth Sideous and foil his plot. They can capture Separatist Leaders and if they get them back to coruscant the Jedi decrease support for the Separatists (decreasing the "reputation" track which could be called chaos track instead)

The Separatists must strike out and kill Jedi leaders, complete secret missions and sow a certain level of destruction (similar to Rebel objective cards) to increase the chaos track and decrease the rounds in the game thus paving the way for Order 66.

You could still have the time limit by having Order 66 which would end the game in favor of Darth Sideous (The Separatists).

Heroes like:

Republic

Starting: Obi, Anakin, Mace Windu, Yoda

Additional: Ahsoka, Kit Fisto, Plo Koon, Agen Kolor, Aayla Secura, Quinlan Vos, Ki-Adi Mundi, Sassee Tinn

Separatist

Starting: Dooku, Grievous, Asajj Ventress, Cad Bane

Additonal: Wat Tambor, Nute Gunray, San Hill, Poggle, Tikkes, Po Nudo, Admiral Trench

Units:

Republic:

Venator Class Star Destroyer, Republic Assault Ship, V-Wing Fighter, ARC-170 Clone Turbotank/AT-TE, AT-PT, Clone Trooper

Separatist:

Invisible Hand, Droid Control Ship, Vulture Droid, Destroyer Droid, Battle Droid

And as a twist the Separatists could have the super weapon Malevolence Ship which can be used to stun enemy ships during the first round of combat, but the Republic could deploy Jedi Knights to place sabotage markers on Separatist production.

Could even be a rogue element like Maul and Savage Opress that control "neutral worlds" and have to be defeated to gain support one way or the other.

Anyways I'm a massive fan of Rebellion and think that a Clone Wars game would be an amazing next direction. Definitely better than doing a First Order versus Resistance one.

I've think about doing a Clone Wars conversion of this game for a long time. I'm actually trying to come up with a good system for the game. Also, one of my goal for this is to make it a four player game because the original four player variant seems meeeuh to me.

I love Star Wars Rebellion because of how if fits with the civil war era and I feel a retheme/rebalancing with Clone Wars characters would not do justice to the prequel trilogy. The goal of finding the base fits for the empire and the rebellion, but does not really feel accurate for the Clone Wars.

The key characteristics of the prequel trilogy that needs to be represent (IMHO) :

-The importance of politics

-Adding Jedi to the battle

-The complexity of the conflict

The prequel trilogy and the clone war series extensively present the politics of the galactic senate. It is a vital element of the war and it should be represent. During the original trilogy, leader are effectively leading troops put they cannot be expected to destroy entire armies on their own. During the clone wars, jedi leaders could promptly eliminate an entire batallion of ennemy droids, I'd like to represent this during the battle.

Finally, the main point I want to build around is the complexity of the conflict. Contrary to the civil war, it is not only a two sides battle. Sure you can put the jedi along with the republic and darth sidious with the droids since they acted alongside most of the war, but in the end the conflict ends with Sidius eliminating all CIS leaders and with the Jedi being wiped out by the republic army. Hence, I propose a four factions variant :

• The CIS
  • The republic
  • The Jedi order
  • The Dark lord of the Sith

The CIS and Republic would be in a tug of war of reputation points, each trying to proove to the galaxy that they are the best to unite all systems. The Jedi order and the Dark lord would help them in their objective, and if one of the team manages to overcome the other one (with like 5 more reputation point) the game ends and both player of the team win.

However, the Jedi are looking for the Sith lord during that time. Which is chosen at the beggining of the game through a list of senators, much like the base planet in the original game. If they arrest the Dark lord, the game ends and the Jedi player wins alongside the faction who has the most reputation points. The Dark lord has time to prepare a plan and the arrest could well backfire on the Jedi order. Without getting too much into details here, the dark lord player prepare a plan which is resolve when the Jedi player attemps to arrest him. The plan is made of four objectives that must be completed in order for him to take over the galaxy. The best exemple would be what he did in revenge of the sith:

• He resisted the arrest by turning a Jedi to the dark side
  • He then sealed the fate of the Jedi order by executing order 66
  • He then eliminated the CIS by having all their leaders killed
  • Finally he proclaimed itself emperor of the republic.

In this case, the Dark lord sided with the Republic to secure is victory and thus those two players would win.

The senator are not useless since politic is really important. All senator can be influence by the CIS, Republic and Jedi in order to push their agenda. At the beggining of each turn, a proposition is revealed and the players have until the end of the turn to shift the allegiance of the senators to win the bonus from the proposition. The Sith player could help any of the other player in order to prepare is devious plan. Also he wants to make sure that each senator has enough influence, once a senator is stripped of all his influence he must reveal if it is the Dark Lord or not. The Jedi player can also gain senator card by fullfilling objectives on the map.

I feel this system would make the game interesting by having all player work in team to win the reputation war, but if the game drags on the true allegiance of the players will be unclear. Looking for the dark lord in the senate also recreate the same tension than finding the rebel base in the original game.

This is the big picture of what I pictured would be a cool variant of star wars Rebellion for clone wars. If anybody has other ideas, I would like to hear them.

So GMT's game Fire in the lake had a 2 part of US vs VC and ARVN vs NVA where US and VC were fighting over influence and ARVN and NVA were fighting over control. It allowed to basicly blur the front lines but still keep the map a set of hot and cold points. I can see where Influence is where you can deploy from and control is what gives you resources. Republic and CIS fight for resource while Jedi and Sith fight for posistions.

Still I am more of a sucker for units so here are a few to come up.

• Clone Trooper (much like storm trooper)
  • Arc Trooper (Rebel Vanguard)
  • AT-RT (AT-ST with 1 red hit point)
  • AT-MT (AT-AT)
  • Arc-Fighter (X-wing)
  • Gunship (Y-wing)
  • Republic Cruiser (CR-90)
  • Venator Star Destroyer (Star Destroyer)

• Battle Droid (troopers)
  • Destroyer Droid (Trooper but with 1 Red health)
  • Tank Droid (Imperial Assault Tank)
  • Spider Droid (AT-ST)
  • Gun Emplacements
  • Vulture Droid (TIE Fighter)
  • Tri-Fighter (TIE-Bomber/Carried Y-wing)
  • C.I.S. Cruiser (Star Destroyer/MonCalamari Cruiser)
  • Droid Control Ship (builder ship)

A COIN multi-faction angle would be an interesting take too. A few different ways they can go with it for sure.

I enjoyed the four player rules for Rebellion but I'm also down with new factions for a Clone Wars game. Personally I would divide it up as:

Republic (Jedi Heroes)

Separatist (Dooku/Grievous and the Sep council)

OPTIONAL 3rd player or AI Fringe

Darth Maul/Savage Opress and nightsisters/Death Watch/criminal empire types. Could be playable by a third side or just each Neutral planet has a token Mandalorian gauntlet Fighter or Pirate Saucer Ship and a ground force depending on what's rolled randomly or based on the planets production/resource icons (the AI would have scum versions of whatever would normally be produced there) so going off the Rebellion icons:

Yellow Triangle: Pyke Syndicate Trooper

Yellow Circle: Death Watch Trooper

Yellow Square: Pirate Tank

Blue Triangle: Mandalorian Gauntlet Fighter

Blue Circle: Black Sun Gozanti

Blue Square: Pirate Saucer

Starting Heroes: Darth Maul, Savage Opress, Pre Vizsla, Bo-Katan

Hondo Ohnaka, Jabba the Hutt, Prince Xizor, Mother Talzin, Boba Fett, Cad Bane, Sugi, Bossk

And the third player could have a different victory tract like needing to have neither Republic nor Separatists side controlling 5 or more planets than the other and/or achieving a certain amount of wealth.

You could copy and paste similar Victory conditions from Rebellion with Separatists being Rebel and Republic being Imperial but it would be cool to have it more of an equal footing battle. With the republic trying to capture enough of the Separatist heroes to help end the war and the Separatists trying to kill Jedi while both take planets and undertake research to build stronger weapons.

Order 66 could still be a thing but would be tricky to balance, maybe as a set end game timer that both sides have to try to win before by controlling enough planets and taking out/capturing the respective heroes of the other faction. The Empire could even 4th NPC faction If anyone has played the Clone Wars Risk game they had an interesting mechanic that the republic was stronger and had more resources and gained even more by capturing Separatist council members, but each round the Order 66 tract would increase and could be declared at any time by the Separatists. In that game Order 66 caused a bunch of Republic Armies to become Separatist forces depending on die rolls for each system. It would be interesting to see if a mechanic such as that could be inputed here but instead, if no side has won when the timer tract reaches a certain point then Order 66 is declared, each system or large portions of each army become Empire units and and it's a fight for survival then. But that could be getting too complicated. Just give us more clone Wars content.

Just had to revisit this old thread in light of the current Clone Wars wave. Please FFG make a Clone Wars era Rebellion-style game and I am on board!