Fu Leng's Name

By OokamiGauru, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

If Rokugan represents Japan, and the Rokugani have Japanese names, the fact that Fu Leng is a Chinese name means that Jigoku is China.

Yep. China is hėll.

21 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

If Rokugan represents Japan, and the Rokugani have Japanese names, the fact that Fu Leng is a Chinese name means that Jigoku is China.

Yep. China is hėll.

Except that Rokugan has been seen to be a hybrid of Japan. China and most of the rest of Asia to some extent.

Furumaro.

Mystery solved. :D

On 3/22/2018 at 10:09 PM, Khudzlin said:

Most proper names should also follow Japanese pronunciation, I think. Some Unicorn names are clearly foreign to Rokugan, so they follow other conventions.

Don't worry, not only in Unicorn: also the Lion clan champion never had a Japanese name; or at least, the transliteration: Toturi does not exist in Japanese because of the "tu". It should be written "Totsuri". I would love to see the kanji, but I suppose is "凸".

For Daigotsu pronunciation. The "u" is mute only when it is with "su" (and it is not only in Tokyo area, but you pronounce the "u" only in few circumstance), not "tsu". So you have to say the name "Daigotsu". I hate the English's phonetics... So, well, it is "Daigotsu". And the theory of the name can be solved with the kanji, so anyone has them so I can translate? (so funny to ruin the fun of everyone).

On 3/22/2018 at 1:09 PM, Khudzlin said:

Most proper names should also follow Japanese pronunciation, I think. Some Unicorn names are clearly foreign to Rokugan, so they follow other conventions.

I think there's a number of non-Japanese sneaking into other clans now as well:

Kitsuki Ti Yu

Bayushi Mei Lin

There are a number of meanings of "Dai" in Japanese, in the case of Daigotsu, it is likely that the "Dai" part would mean "big" or "great", I think.

But the "Gotsu" part is the issue regardless. I am unaware of any Japanese "Gotsu" or "Kotsu" word, nor is that a recognizable name.

I am afraid that the man who created the name entirely made it up without particularly researching the Japanese language and choosing a name or meaning that could be a name from the language.

Granted, a lot of samurai names didn't have any special meaning, BUT... they still involved combining generally two Chinese characters that would still be pronounced in that way. And I just don't think there is any functional option to come up with "Gotsu".

19 hours ago, Victarion13 said:

Don't worry, not only in Unicorn: also the Lion clan champion never had a Japanese name; or at least, the transliteration: Toturi does not exist in Japanese because of the "tu". It should be written "Totsuri". I would love to see the kanji, but I suppose is "凸".

For Daigotsu pronunciation. The "u" is mute only when it is with "su" (and it is not only in Tokyo area, but you pronounce the "u" only in few circumstance), not "tsu". So you have to say the name "Daigotsu". I hate the English's phonetics... So, well, it is "Daigotsu". And the theory of the name can be solved with the kanji, so anyone has them so I can translate? (so funny to ruin the fun of everyone).

Totsuri isn't a problem other than the "s" being missing. There are actually a number of viable options for that name. The first one I can come up with is "突理", but there are several others that would work.

But it is a system used for turning Japanese into Roman characters that does tend to leave out the "s" in "Tsu", so it wouldn't be all that odd. In fact, another system replaced what is clearly a "Sh" sound with "sy". Also, ず and づ both tend to get romanized as "zu" leading to confusion.

Edited by TheHobgoblyn
4 hours ago, TheHobgoblyn said:

I am afraid that the man who created the name entirely made it up without particularly researching the Japanese language and choosing a name or meaning that could be a name from the language.

Since L5R has never required its writers to have a working knowledge of the Japanese language, many of the names are just syllables rather than being built out of actual characters.

4 hours ago, TheHobgoblyn said:

But it is a system used for turning Japanese into Roman characters that does tend to leave out the "s" in "Tsu", so it wouldn't be all that odd. In fact, another system replaced what is clearly a "Sh" sound with "sy". Also, ず and づ both tend to get romanized as "zu" leading to confusion.

Yes, but L5R isn't using JSL romanization*, or we'd have the Matu and Kituki families, not to mention the Siba and the Syosuro. It drove me batty in oldL5R that you had Daiginzyoo-syu randomly dropping JSL into what was otherwise basically a half-a$$ed Hepburn.

* and thank god for that </hates JSL with the burning heat of a thousand suns>

On 3/22/2018 at 1:55 PM, Ishi Tonu said:

I'm totally in favor of someone tying to discover his name during the FFG story arc.............maybe something like a tatt'd up Dragon monk that goes crazy in the process and starts killing his own clanmates...............

just spitballin ;)

On 3/22/2018 at 6:46 PM, Tetsuhiko said:

Why stop with his clanmates? Maybe by mixing the blood of the direct descendants of the seven kamis we can create a Tatoo that allows you to stare into the Heavens and get the answer you seek. Better get started with the blooshed right away.

;)

I have a feeling we should keep this guy away from any Anvils.

;)

7 hours ago, Hida Jitenno said:

I have a feeling we should keep this guy away from any Anvils.

;)

1 hour ago, Ishi Tonu said:

If Crane is looking for support, I'm sure a certain someone south of the wall would be a willing "ally."

Swear fealty to the 9th Kami and let's get this party started. Everyone else is doing it. Better not be last to find a seat on the Fu Leng train.

It's not just Anvils. I'd also be careful of Swords, Armour, Rings, Bushido, Scrolls and Imperial Heirs. Also possibly tattooists. And Dragons, and Oracles, just to be on the safe side.

Haha you didn't say anything about masks! Too late to stop me now. I've already sent one to Kuni Yori. Shahai, Tadaka, and Junzo Will get theirs in due time.

Then it is, as the young folk say, "on." On like Rokugan