Custom Investigators

By Morgaln, in Fan Creations

kroen said:

Prepare to meet the new tier 1 character:

90svn5.jpg

He's not first tier... He's second tier. 3 speed and no game breaking ability.

kroen said:

Thanks for the positive critcism, thecorinthian And when coming from you, that means a lot.

Also, Micheal Mclagen and Harvery Walters suffers from the same "loops" so I don't see the problem.

I'm actually quite disappointed that non of the dunwich investigators starts in dunwich and that non of the kingsport investigators starts in kingsport.

And the tier system catagorize the power level of investigator, tier 1 being the most powerful, including investigators such as mandy, darrel, etc.

I'm pretty sure the reason for not starting them in expansion locations is to prevent them from being unusable in games in which their expansion isn't used. Of course... An easy solution to this problem would've been ruling that in those cases The Train Station is their starting location...

kroen said:

Thanks for the positive critcism, thecorinthian And when coming from you, that means a lot.

No problem. I try to make sure that I am only a pain in the butt in the interests of good card design! But a few of my ideas about what should and shouldn't go on AH cards are probably a bit eccentric, so feel free to ignore me...

MrsGamura said:

ha ha you made an investigator from yourself looks good!

but auto gain clues seems a little evil maybe change it to unstable locations only or something...

plus should he have a retainer? lengua.gif

I was thinking the opposite. Unstable Locations actually hae fairly bad encounters, and they have clues on them anyway. Letting the character skip Black Cae or Independence Square encounters to get free clues is anti-thematic.

I would prefer it if he could gain a clue instead of an encounter unless he is at a Unstable Location. So if you have him wandering around fighting monsters or completeing tasks he can get clues for that - but if he collects clues by going to unstable locations he has to risk the normal encounters.

-Frank

scarletmillerfrontside.jpg

flamethrower49 said:

I'm not sure about unique items, but no other character is as well suited to the Dunwich spell Call Friend. Sure, Aloysius isn't exactly a spellcaster, but he can still get plenty of dice to jerk his allies around the board willy-nilly at the moderate cost of a sanity. That is an extremely fun spell, if played correctly. He's already an advanced character, I'd say go all out. It also lets them get an ally from him! What a great fit.

Oh that's a good idea! I think I'm going to have to make this guy and print him out.

Frank said:

MrsGamura said:

ha ha you made an investigator from yourself looks good!

but auto gain clues seems a little evil maybe change it to unstable locations only or something...

plus should he have a retainer? lengua.gif

I was thinking the opposite. Unstable Locations actually hae fairly bad encounters, and they have clues on them anyway. Letting the character skip Black Cae or Independence Square encounters to get free clues is anti-thematic.

I would prefer it if he could gain a clue instead of an encounter unless he is at a Unstable Location. So if you have him wandering around fighting monsters or completeing tasks he can get clues for that - but if he collects clues by going to unstable locations he has to risk the normal encounters.

-Frank

I like the idea that he can't use his ability at Unstable Locations. That way he still has to take certain encounters. Also, if he joins the Cult of 1000 he has to take a cult encounter. I'll change that at some point.

As for the retainer, I love my job so much I'd do it for free. No, not really.

Here's a new one based off Aloysius.

2n4lg0.jpg

His people are everywhere and can help the other investigators, but they will sacrifice themselves for Keyser even if they are in someone else's possession. I didn't bother making the second ally deck discard due to terror increases because it doesn't matter. Instead there are a very limited number of them available.

And in case you want a standard ally instead of a random one in his starting equipment, you'd need to have:

bia1dl.jpg

jenniferhopkinsfrontsid.jpg

kroen said:

jenniferhopkinsfrontsid.jpg

Interesting. And balanced. I could play this... Although I wonder if maybe you might want to give her one more item, or a couple more dollars. She seems a little weak. Her ability will probably only get her 3 extra tokens over the course of the game. Not *that* much.

I wanted to make her ability "on a success" instead of "on a 1" but I thought it would have been too strong, especially with a blessing. Was I wrong?

kroen said:

I wanted to make her ability "on a success" instead of "on a 1" but I thought it would have been too strong, especially with a blessing. Was I wrong?

I would say so. Jenny Barnes has a very weak ability, and it is still worth $1 a turn. A clue is worth about $2, so Jenny Hopkins is only pulling even value to Jenny Barnes if she has a blessing . If she does not have a blessing, she is falling behind.

Indeed, you might want to start her with a blessing just to rub the point in. Swap it for one of her spells (Blessings being worth about $4, regardless of what SE says) and she'd be fine with getting a clue on a success from a single die roll.

-Frank

Clue token may be "worth" $2 but you can't buy clue tokens with money in the game. Clue token is a much better asset than $2 no matter how you look at it. Clue tokens are priceless. Making her gain a clue on a success is fine, but having her start with a blessing is pushing it.

Now, if the following investigator was real, he would be the most fun-to-play investigator in the game IMHO:

carlstanfordfrontside.jpg

where did you find that picture of hastur????

kroen said:

hasturfrontside.jpg

Deviantart.

Anyone help me make a character? Look for my post in fan creations. Thanks

I created these Monster Squad investigators last year as a joke/tribute for the 20th anniversary release of the movie on DVD. I brushed them off while checking out Strange Eons v2 and decided to share.

The starting location for all members of the Monster Squad is "next open gate". Basically, they all spill out of the first gate to open (without gaining explored tokens).

Eugene: members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Eugene-Front-Side.png members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Eugene-Character-Marker.png members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Pete-Front-Side.png

Horace: members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Horace-Front-Side.png members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Horace-Character-Marker.png

Patrick: members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Patrick-Front-Side.png members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Patrick-Character-Marker.png

Patrick's Sister: members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Patrick%27s-Sister-Front-Side.png members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Patrick%27s-Sister-Character-Marker.png

Phoebe: members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Phoebe-Crenshaw-Front-Side.png members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Phoebe-Crenshaw-Character-Marker.png members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Frankie-Front-Side.png

Rudy: members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Rudy-Front-Side.png members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Rudy-Character-Marker.png members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Silver-Bullets-Front-Side.png

Scary German Guy: members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Scary-German-Guy-Front-Side.png members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Scary-German-Guy-Character-Marker.png members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Van-Helsing%27s-Diary-Front-Side.png

Sean: members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Sean-Crenshaw-Front-Side.png members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Sean-Crenshaw-Character-Marker.png members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/The-Amulet-Front-Side.png

Van Helsing (ally): members.shaw.ca/saintjayne/monstersquad/Van-Helsing-Front-Side.png

These all require only the original Arkham Horror game to play. Enjoy. =)

Because Arkham doesn't have enough crazy people roaming the streets...

Leon-Sanders-Front-Side.png

Paul, I think you got something wrong. Rudy is not the cool kid, you are the cool kid. Monster Squad is awesome.

Edit: Although, Horace doesn't make a lot of sense. Remember that you only get movement points during Arkham movement, and during Outworld moement you don't get any movement points. Is that intended to only work on the turn he enters a gate?

-Frank

Awesome great job! but as Frank said about Fat Kids movement thing...

ha ha the kid has a robotech shirt awesome

btw the kids should have 8 total for sanity/ stamina

I know hes not suppose to be uber helpful but now poor Helsing going to be speanding all his time at Ma's... maybe instead he give +2 horror checks "exhaust: to pass combat check vs undead" or something?

btw never seen this movie now I got to watch it ha ha

kroen said:

Clue token may be "worth" $2 but you can't buy clue tokens with money in the game. Clue token is a much better asset than $2 no matter how you look at it. Clue tokens are priceless. Making her gain a clue on a success is fine, but having her start with a blessing is pushing it.

Now, if the following investigator was real, he would be the most fun-to-play investigator in the game IMHO:

carlstanfordfrontside.jpg

Hurm. Can Carl Stanfort encounter himself?

and you think his lore would be Six!

Vitus_Prem said:

kroen said:

Hurm. Can Carl Stanfort encounter himself?

No, but he CAN encounter Carl Sanford!

Nice feedback, thanks. Frank, I thought Fat Kid's ability was strong enough. I re-worded it to keep his +1 in Arkham only, just to be clear.

And MrsGamura, I actually made these before the template of a child Investigator was released in the Kingsport expansion. Not knowing how to handle them, I just gave them no skills, one hand to fight with, and loads of Sanity. I mean, those little guys tolerate a lot in the movie! I suppose I could lower the Sanity one or two points, but wouldn't that mean giving them matching his-and-her Elder Signs or something crazy to start? I'm really no expert on the newer expansions.

And poor Van Helsing - I loved him! I actually thought gaining between +4 and +6 for combat/horror/evade made him too powerful, but I see he is quite limited, if not nicely thematic. Undead are 11% of the monster cup, 14% with the Dunwich Horror. That doesn't seem like much, but along with Jim Culver, you can pick your battles and focus on your strengths. Hey, how about adding a Unique Item when VH joins you?

And Robotech rocks... at least, I think I can remember it... ;-)

tienne--Decroux-Front-Side.jpg

Captain-Spaulding-Front-Side.jpg