Adventures in Middle Earth: Lord of the Rings Genesys 2.0

By Johan Marek Phoenix Knight, in Genesys

9 hours ago, Wulfherr said:

I'm having trouble finding a link to the document. Google Drive one doesn't seem to work.

I checked again and there doesn’t seem to be any problem. It might be an issue with your computer or internet connection.

I like the Tolkien purity I see in this. I was worried I was going to see a LOT of magic. I mean, if this was The Hunt for the Silmarils I would expect quite a bit of magical engineering and enchanting, but since the Maiar in the Lord of the Ring world had very specific characterizations (not even bringing up Tom Bombadil and how he might very well be the personification of Eru Ilúvatar ), just as Gandalf of the personification of one of the Maiar.

Edited by Mathadar
Typo
3 hours ago, Mathadar said:

I like the Tolkien purity I see in this. I was worried I was going to see a LOT of magic. I mean, if this was The Hunt for the Silmarils I would expect quite a bit of magical engineering and enchanting, but since the Maiar in the Lord of the Ring world had very specific characterizations (not even bringing up Tom Bombadil and how he might very well be the personification of Eru Ilúvatar ), just as Gandalf of the personification of one of the Maiar.

Thanks! I tried to keep it as accurate as possible.

Very good job! Thank you!

Just to be picky, there are quite a few Elven spellcasters, even though they're not wizards. I agree that a PC can't "work toward" becoming a wizard - that's like "working toward" becoming an Ent! :) But they could still learn magic - from memory, there are references to non-wizard, non-Elven spellcasters in LOTR.

1 hour ago, Daronil said:

Just to be picky, there are quite a few Elven spellcasters, even though they're not wizards. I agree that a PC can't "work toward" becoming a wizard - that's like "working toward" becoming an Ent! :) But they could still learn magic - from memory, there are references to non-wizard, non-Elven spellcasters in LOTR.

The “spellcasters” in LoTR are quite different from your spellcasters in most settings. Tolkien’s magic is not at all like most fantasy settings. If you read the pdf, you will see that I added in rules for more accurate LoTR-style magic.

Our group tried The One Ring last night and didn't get on with it too well, so this is awesome haha Really well constructed.

Edited by Quibble
10 hours ago, Johan Marek Phoenix Knight said:

The “spellcasters” in LoTR are quite different from your spellcasters in most settings. Tolkien’s magic is not at all like most fantasy settings. If you read the pdf, you will see that I added in rules for more accurate LoTR-style magic.

I think your rules are pretty close to spot-on. I was just referring to the common mindset I often see where people basically say that because the Istari were a race, not a profession, that no PC can be a spellcaster. I do remember from the Decipher LOTR game there was a cool option magicians had - I can't remember the name off-hand, but it was basically that if they set up a domain of some kind, they got all sorts of cool powers within it. An example was Elrond's rising of the river to sweep away the Nazgul as they tried to enter Rivendell.

Incidentally, Johan - what did you use to get the statblocks in the LOTR document? They look great. For FFG's Star Wars game, I use Oggdude's character generator to create an image I can copy and paste, but I'd love to be able to set up my adventures using those blocks.

18 hours ago, Johan Marek Phoenix Knight said:

The Hope and Hope-tied-to-Magic mechanics are brilliant.

I've thought about importing them to my own setting, but I'm not yet ready to divorce magic from career...

First off, this certainly looks cool, and I may borrow some of the ideas on magic if I ever want to make a story in which miracles and witchcraft are a thing. Second, I noticed that a lot of the prices for things like lodging or paying for travel seem . . . unusually low. I mean, how would hiring a porter for a day cost the same as a flagon of ale? Finally, I noticed you made it easier to find lodging, which includes food, than just finding a large supply of food, wouldn't it make more sense the other way around?

Shouldn't Elves have a draw back stat with having one at 3?

This is pretty sweet! Definitely using this to run a new campaign. I'm thinking of a Balrog cult. Have you tested the balrog? He seems pretty insane (sensible, but I want my players to have a chance :D )