Combat - Simple guide?

By Lendosan, in Rules Questions

Hi all,

This may be a stupid question, but how exactly does combat work? Using Strike as an example: "As an Attack action using one readied weapon, you may make a TN 2 Martial Arts check using the appropriate skill for the weapon, targeting one character within the range of the weapon."

So is TN 2 a universal TN for everyone to be hit, or can that be modified/is modified by various skills/equipment etc etc.

I used to be used to a system where the TN varied, and I don't seem to think this is the case.

The TN can vary sometimes, but very little. What I got for the designers and some test runs on this is, the system doesn't allow for much TN variation without extreme hit % drop-off.

Edited by tenchi2a

The TN2 is the default - but defaults are modifed, and unlike what Tenchi2A says, I find it's often modified.

A target in Air is TN3 or TN4 (depending upon their school rank)

If attacker is wounded, each wound can increase TN by 1.

Then again, my players love condition inflicting wounds...

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, AK_Aramis said:

The TN2 is the default - but defaults are modifed, and unlike what Tenchi2A says, I find it's often modified.

A target in Air is TN3 or TN4 (depending upon their school rank)

If attacker is wounded, each wound can increase TN by 1.

Then again, my players love condition inflicting wounds...

This.

TN2 represents 'hit a man-sized target which isn't really doing much to stop me' - by comparison, stuff like Air Stance, the Guard Action, and various conditions and effects can make it a heck of a lot harder to hit a skilled swordsman who doesn't want to be hit.

You can make yourself much harder to hit, but it generally requires you to actively do something to not be hit , instead of just stand there and bask in the blade-repelling force-field generated by your base stats.