Imperial Actions

By Seam, in Legends of the Alliance

Hello!

If an Imperial Action says Move X and attack Y, does this count as the two actions an imperial character can perform, or does it count as one action, despite the character moved and attacked, and another possible action must be chosen?

Thanks!

Pretty sure it counts as one action as after that you will be instructed to reposition for the second action.

2 hours ago, Seam said:

Hello!

If an Imperial Action says Move X and attack Y, does this count as the two actions an imperial character can perform, or does it count as one action, despite the character moved and attacked, and another possible action must be chosen?

Thanks!

On page 14 of the LotA rule book, under Imperial Activations , Instruction List , it states:

"An Imperial figure cannot perform more than two actions during its activation. An instruction costs one action for each -> (action) or *> (attack action) icon preceding it."

So in your case, the Move X and Attack Y is preceded by an *> (attack action) icon and would count as one action.

Thank you. I expected as much but wanted to be sure.

On 2018/03/12 at 4:04 PM, Seam said:

Thank you. I expected as much but wanted to be sure.

Note that it is not a full move, so it's not that different. The figures aren't suddenly getting a huge advantage.

On 3/15/2018 at 5:48 AM, neosmagus said:

Note that it is not a full move, so it's not that different. The figures aren't suddenly getting a huge advantage.

Sorry to Necro this but, I'm still confused. Tonight I had the app tell me to move a regular probe droid 3 and attack Biv. Well, that should be all he is capable of doing under normal conditions, but if I follow that logic, then I can use the next instruction, which was move 2 and re-position 4. Now a regular probe droid has a movement speed of 5, vice 3, in addition to the extra surge abilities the app granted it.

Also, let's talk about Stun. Biv crashed into a Heavy Stormtrooper with great vengeance and fuuuuurious anger, stunning and weakening him. On the H-Stormies turn does he get to discard stun and then go ahead and move an attack? What is the value of stun at all? That makes him quite a bit better than normal.

5 hours ago, Rikalonius said:

Sorry to Necro this but, I'm still confused. Tonight I had the app tell me to move a regular probe droid 3 and attack Biv. Well, that should be all he is capable of doing under normal conditions, but if I follow that logic, then I can use the next instruction, which was move 2 and re-position 4. Now a regular probe droid has a movement speed of 5, vice 3, in addition to the extra surge abilities the app granted it.

Also, let's talk about Stun. Biv crashed into a Heavy Stormtrooper with great vengeance and fuuuuurious anger, stunning and weakening him. On the H-Stormies turn does he get to discard stun and then go ahead and move an attack? What is the value of stun at all? That makes him quite a bit better than normal.

Stun will still prevent it from a full move, but will be more useful against enemies that have double attacks, like e-webs.

The theory is the AI is stupid and needs to have the advantages against players, hence in the app the enemies have several small advantages they don't have anywhere else. The app overrides whatever the stats are on the cards.

I think my problem was, at first, that I was seeing this as the regular 5 player Campaign mode with the Imperial player being controlled by the app. The correct way to look at the App is that it is a brand new and different way to play Imperial Assault. It is a total cooperative mode against enemies that have slightly different behavior and abilities than what they would in the regular Campaign mode. Just like some character cards and abilities are different for Skirmish mode than they are for the Campaign mode, even so it is with the Legends of the Alliance app. The Imperial abilities and behaviors are specially suited for this new mode. As @neosmagus said, it makes up for the stupid AI. After playing the app for a while, as it is intended, without comparing it to the regular Campaign mode, I found it to be quite balanced.

3 hours ago, dwaynedauzat said:

I think my problem was, at first, that I was seeing this as the regular 5 player Campaign mode with the Imperial player being controlled by the app. The correct way to look at the App is that it is a brand new and different way to play Imperial Assault. It is a total cooperative mode against enemies that have slightly different behavior and abilities than what they would in the regular Campaign mode. Just like some character cards and abilities are different for Skirmish mode than they are for the Campaign mode, even so it is with the Legends of the Alliance app. The Imperial abilities and behaviors are specially suited for this new mode. As @neosmagus said, it makes up for the stupid AI. After playing the app for a while, as it is intended, without comparing it to the regular Campaign mode, I found it to be quite balanced.

I do find it fairly balanced, and I had always played it as the move + attack action is one action, but it felt odd. I think the first time I had a stun was on my third mission in the app, and that's when I realized, hey, this stun doesn't prevent a move and attack, so I wanted to get some clarification. The junk droid was another one that threw me in the app, but after some research I think I'm good with that. An Elite Ugnaught in the app can be surprisingly damaging.

18 hours ago, Rikalonius said:

I do find it fairly balanced, and I had always played it as the move + attack action is one action, but it felt odd. I think the first time I had a stun was on my third mission in the app, and that's when I realized, hey, this stun doesn't prevent a move and attack, so I wanted to get some clarification.

I think the stun is fine in the app. On a move and attack the imperial figure would gain 0 movement points and attack, then remove the stun. That's essentially how a live imperial player would play it (->remove stun, -> attack) except the figure will usually get a little bit of movement for repositioning afterwards.

On 4/22/2018 at 5:36 AM, neosmagus said:

Stun will still prevent it from a full move, but will be more useful against enemies that have double attacks, like e-webs.

I don't know... I would say stun is less useful against e-webs if anyone is in LOS of them. Stun doesn't prevent an imperial figure from attacking during it's on activation in the app. The e-web will just keep shooting and never think about the stun.

26 minutes ago, Uninvited Guest said:

I think the stun is fine in the app. On a move and attack the imperial figure would gain 0 movement points and attack, then remove the stun. That's essentially how a live imperial player would play it (->remove stun, -> attack) except the figure will usually get a little bit of movement for repositioning afterwards.

So the first thing the Imperial figure would have to do, using the app, is to clear the stun. If you are playing a player, then they can clear the stun and attack, or they can clear the stun and move. In the app, they clear the stun, but then the first command is almost always a move and attack action. Now, I'm not saying the app is imbalanced, it is just frustrating when you normally stun something because you know it keeps them move or attacking, and that doesn't happen in the app.

1 hour ago, Uninvited Guest said:

The e-web will just keep shooting and never think about the stun.

Like he's knocked down, hanging on to his tripod, not actually realizing he's holding on to the trigger :lol:

19 hours ago, Rikalonius said:

I do find it fairly balanced, and I had always played it as the move + attack action is one action, but it felt odd. I think the first time I had a stun was on my third mission in the app, and that's when I realized, hey, this stun doesn't prevent a move and attack, so I wanted to get some clarification. The junk droid was another one that threw me in the app, but after some research I think I'm good with that. An Elite Ugnaught in the app can be surprisingly damaging.

I agree that it first sounds counter-intuitive. I had to sit-down and read the rules a couple of time. I did not encounter an Ugnaught in my playthrough yet. What's up with the junk droid?

58 minutes ago, Rikalonius said:

So the first thing the Imperial figure would have to do, using the app, is to clear the stun. If you are playing a player, then they can clear the stun and attack, or they can clear the stun and move. In the app, they clear the stun, but then the first command is almost always a move and attack action. Now, I'm not saying the app is imbalanced, it is just frustrating when you normally stun something because you know it keeps them move or attacking, and that doesn't happen in the app.

It depends. Since a move & attack is one action, the typical imperial figure will not be able to move closer to attack you. It means that if it has already LOS from its position, it could miss if it does not roll enough accuracy.

Another case you have to consider is the following. On its activation, the stunned imperial figure will gain 0 movement point (because it is stunned) and then attack (considering an attack action here). But if the stunned figure does NOT have LOS, it skips the attack action (per the original rule), so then it will move to the next action (possibly a move only action) and gain 0 movement point, then discard the stunned condition. Now for it's second action (possibly a move to reposition) it will finally move. So stunning a figure and running away from LOS, or far enough that it can't get accuracy, can prevent that figure from attacking or doing any harm to your heroes.

Edited by IanSolo_FFG
55 minutes ago, Rikalonius said:

Now, I'm not saying the app is imbalanced, it is just frustrating when you normally stun something because you know it keeps them move or attacking, and that doesn't happen in the app.

Yes but it will likely leave the figure exposed and at close range which is sometimes something you may not do as an imperial player. So there is some balancing in advantage versus disadvantage while keeping the AI instructions simple and general.