Best unit to bring with Maro

By Jukey, in Runewars List Building

What unit from another faction makes the most sense to bring with Maro? I know it's subjective based on the type of list, but what are your thoughts?

My latest theory crafts have been including a 2x1 or 2x2 of rippers with a lot of death knights. I need the ripper expansion to put it on the table, but it seems like fun.

Another fun one would be a block of threshers, panic for everyone!

Edited by Jukey

Rippers are fun to put on the table. I need to try threshers next.

Hm. Rippers still move forward 1 and reform even after rally. And it’s not like the Waiqar forces could leave them behind if they tried. They certainly provide that backfield/flank harasser that Death Knights aren’t quite.

Thresher could sort of mesh with the Reanimate’s panic modifier. Almost guaranteed severity two test before attacking. With two red dice, reasonable to trigger severity three most attacks.

Im not sure Berserkers, Darnati (eventually), Derpwoods, Xbows, or Spearmen do you much good without infantry command upgrades. Scions could be cool, but I’m not sure what they bring that really help undead

I recently tried a 3x1 unit of Crossbowmen and they worked out well for me

Now that Uthuk are strong. I would take 2x2 Latari archers so you have 2 blue dice with 2 rerolls to get a accuracy and 1 hit to kill agressive shrieker or warsprinter 2nd turn.

10 hours ago, Drakoniss said:

Now that Uthuk are strong. I would take 2x2 Latari archers so you have 2 blue dice with 2 rerolls to get a accuracy and 1 hit to kill agressive shrieker or warsprinter 2nd turn.

I guess...? If the Uthuk you usually face are reliant on a BerserkStar (or two) that is itself reliant reliant on that combo AND they habitually move into range of your archers without having taken advantage of that combo OR you aren’t just sniping the figures after they got their mileage out of them.

Aggresive Warsprinter Is a really useful combo for creating a huge threat range or the dreaded double charge, but it can end up causing the berserkers to go so far out ahead that they lose support of the rest of the army. If they exercise restraint, I don’t see how you snipe the figures before they got their money’s worth from them.

This isn’t to say having a figure sniping mechanic isn’t good. It would be excellent at taking out a Citadel Weapons Master, Hawthorne, Executioner, Mistlands Sabateur, Frontline Rune Golem, Cacaphony Reaver, or any other figure that is intended to help continuously once the unit is in heavy combat. But it doesn’t seem great as a tech counter to figures intended to get used hard once from outside of typical threat range.

Edited by Church14

Sniping aggressive shrieker with Kari of archers has been a massive power shift versus Uthuk in my games.

4 hours ago, Drakoniss said:

Sniping aggressive shrieker with Kari of archers has been a massive power shift versus Uthuk in my games.

Hm. Must be play style differences. When I face Kari or good archers, I am very conscious of and try really hard to keep my Berserkers final movement one turn 1 outside ranged attack range. If I do that, then I can get my use out of the models.

If I ever goof and Kari manages to get shots turn 2, then yeah, that would suck