Assistance in understanding. Newbie

By Kaiba6798, in L5R LCG: Deck Building

So I know that a Core set will be gotten then a dynasty pack or two here and there. With that said...

I have not gotten a core set.

I did however order a playset (3?) of every Crane card FROM the core set. I am unsure of what I actually did to be honest.

Just how much am I missing with the above? is it enough for an actual deck? I ordered it then realized that I don't know what that means for the most part. I assume it means I am also missing a lot of crazy important cards and keeps me from "splashing a clan" as I understand it.

Splashing clans is a pretty big part of deck building, and probably will be for a very long time.

You also probably didn't get any neutral cards either, which are probably even more important.

EDIT: Also, eventually they will rotate legal cards, and I believe the core set will never rotate out.

Edited by Swordbreaker

Interesting.

I guess the only question left then is, Can I build a deck with just those cards? or are there not going to be enough?

39 minutes ago, Kaiba6798 said:

Interesting.

I guess the only question left then is, Can I build a deck with just those cards? or are there not going to be enough?

Three core decks are 40 cards minimum. I don't quite think there are a full 40 of each kind of Crane-only card, though I'd have to double check. You also need five unique province cards, so unless you bought a copy of each of those, you probably only bought the Crane province. So probably not, no.

Even if you could, it would likely be un-competitive. Spring for the full set of Neutrals too, at least.

Okay. so this is with 1 core set plus an additional playset of Crane. Am I even on the right track for this game?

Strongholdy stuff:

Shizuka Toshi

Entrenched Position

Art of Peace

Rally to the Cause

Shameful Display

Night Raid

Dynasty:

Doji Hotaru x3

Doji Challenger x3

Kakita Kaezin x3

Asahina Storyteller x3

Doji Whisperer x3

Daidoji Nerishina x3

Brash Samurai x3

Doji Gift Giver x3

Cautious scout x3

Savy Politician x3

Kakita Asami x3

Guest of Honor x2

Wandering Ronin x3

Imperial Storehouse x2

Artisan Academy

Conflict:

Height of fashion x2

Duelist Training x2

Calling in Favors (2/10) (scorpion)

Fiery Madness (2/10) (Scorpion)

Unassuming Yojimbo (2/10) (Scorpion)

Court Mask (1/10) (scorpion)

Adept of Shadows (3/10) (scorpion)

Way of the crane x3

Steward of Law x2

Admit Defeat x3

Political Rival x3

The Perfect Gift x3

Voice of Honor x3

Fine Katana x2

Outwit x2

Good Omen x2

Charge! x2

Banzai x2

Assassination x2

Contingency plan x2

Ornate Fan x2

Court Games x2

Do you mean 1 core set and 2 additional sets of Crane cards? I don't see how you get 3 copies of Crane cards otherwise.

1 minute ago, Khudzlin said:

Do you mean 1 core set and 2 additional sets of Crane cards? I don't see how you get 3 copies of Crane cards otherwise.

I ordered a playset on ebay for crane clan cards only.

So i have 4 of every crane card (decks are limited to 3 of each card right?)

1 minute ago, Kaiba6798 said:

I ordered a playset on ebay for crane clan cards only.

So i have 4 of every crane card (decks are limited to 3 of each card right?)

You said "playset of Crane", my bad. Yes, you're limited to 3 cards with the same name across both your dynasty and conflict decks (this is future proofing, there aren't multiple cards with the same name yet, and none have been announced either). So, with those cards, you have enough choices for strongholdy and dynasty stuff (as much as with 3 cores, provided you stick with Crane). But for the conflict deck, you're missing out on the possibility of including additional copies of your splash cards (obviously, you'd need to remove some other splash cards to stay within the influence limit).

so as far as what i have access to, this is correct for deck building and about as good as i could make a crane with what i have right now?

Tried sub clan-ing phoenix and i didn't like it personally

Edited by Kaiba6798

Yes, that's a legal deck. You're above the minimum size for the Conflict deck (44 by my count, when you only need 40) so you can trim down some of the cards if you don't like them while playing. Personally, I would recommend running the Seppun Guardsmen or Otomo Courtier over Wandering Ronin, who's frequently just too expensive to be good.

those are the two that are keeper or seeker only right?

I wasn't sure how that worked exactly so i didn't bother. I liked the Ronin in my first test game with just the core set. popped up and i dropped like 3 tokens on him then another one with... some card I don't remember.

He was great in that game but I do fully see how quick that gets out of hand for the cost vs reward

Otomo Courtier and Seppun Guardsmen are the 1-cost 2/0 or 0/2 that can't attack if the opponent has favor. They're cheap and efficient, but small-impact overall.

The Keeper Initiates and Seeker Initiates are other interesting cards, but much harder to use. You can only put them in your deck if your selected Role card matches Keeper/Seeker. Each clan has an official Role (Crane is Seeker of Air, and the others can be found here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/l5r-lcg/roles/ ), but you can choose any for casual play. Those roles affect your deckbuilding options. If you go with the official Seeker of Air role, you can include Seeker Initiates in your deck too. Which are also pretty expensive for what they do, unfortunately.

Role cards are either Keeper or Seeker, and also have one element. Keeper roles gain 3 extra influence to build your deck with, and you can gain 1 fate when you successfully defend your associated element, and you also may include any 'Keeper Only' cards. Seeker, on the other hand, allow you to use 2 provinces of the associated element, and you gain 1 fate each time you reveal one of your provinces of that element, and you also may include any 'Seeker Only' cards. Note that Seekers still use exactly five provinces, and cannot use two provinces of the same name.

The official roles for each clan change once a year depending on the results of I believe the Winter Court tournament, which helps keep the metagame somewhat fresh.

Also, Seeker roles allow you to play 2 provinces of the their element, so going with Seeker of Air would allow you to swap a non-Air province for Fertile Fields (extra card draw) or Manicured Garden (extra fate).