Mount Doom strategy (spoiler-laden!)

By GrandSpleen, in Strategy and deck-building

Some things that were useful to me in defeating Mount Doom:

-Choosing Old Water-course (obviously?) and Mordor Road as your starting locations. In a perfect world, the other copy of Mordor Road will come out during staging on stage 1. Then, when you advance to stage 2, no new card will come out of the encounter deck (because both copies of Mordor Road are already in play, there are only 2 in the deck).

-Having multiple heroes with very high willpower and multiple actions is key. So, readying effects and willpower-boosting effects are most welcome.

-Some flexibility in questing power is useful as well, so temporary willpower boosts like Couraged Awakened, or Elrond's Counsel, are welcome. This allows you to commit fewer heroes, or to prevent over-questing if you don't want to advance to the next stage yet.

-Deal with Brake of Thorns ASAP! Preferably without traveling to it. I hit one copy with Thror's Key, and used Asfaloth and Rhovanion Outriders to explore another. I actually had travel to one though (two, counting the one you start with). Ouch, that's a lot of damage, especially when your threat dial says 50 or 60-something.

-Other than some key cards (Rally the West, Fellowship of the Ring), I just included a plethora of cards that would do similar things, like Strider and Windfola and Miruvor (readying and willpower boost? YES PLEASE) and Celebrian's Stone. This meant that I was usually OK to just discard my hand when the dreaded Deep Shadows came out of the encounter deck. Because my decks had redundancy, I was likely to draw into replacements quickly.

On 3/4/2018 at 3:37 PM, GrandSpleen said:

I published the 2-handed Fellowship that I used to defeat Mount Doom.

Deck 1, Sam Goes to Mordor is here: http://ringsdb.com/deck/view/95043

Deck 2, Thoughts Toward Mordor is here: http://ringsdb.com/deck/view/95047

And the Fellowship page, The Ring is Undone, is here: http://ringsdb.com/fellowship/view/4368

How many attempts did it take for you to beat the quest with your 2-deck fellowship? Also, do you know of a good solo deck to use against this quest? There's a deck posted on ringsDB with tactics Eowyn, Galadriel, and Glorfindel, but I found them to be awful. If I can't beat a quest in 3 tries with one deck, I need a new one.

Sorry, haven’t tried solo and I don’t know a good solo deck for the quest. As for this fellowship, this beat Mt Doom on the first try BUT:

-I tried 22 times to beat the scenario.

-I tend to try only a couple of times, then build new decks or tweak the existing ones.

-These deck lists as presented here were successful on the first try. But at that point I was a master at knowing what to expect from the encounter deck, so my decisions in game were pretty advanced play.

-Once I settled on trying to use side quests to defeat the scenario, I beat it on the 3rd try (first two tries had different decks, possibly same heroes but configured differently across the two decks... can’t really remember.)

Best of luck!

How did you deal with the Wraiths on Wings? Did you kill them in the Black Gate?

Yes, I defeated the Wraiths in the previous quest, with different decks, so they did not show up here.