looking to get in to the game

By Bahoola, in Runewars Tactics

Hello all! we are 3-4 players in my home town that are looking on getting in to this game. we have played the stated box maby 7-8 times now. and out from thos games we have 2 questions.

Do the the undead team never win?! I mean that wrathstalker killing minimum a tray of stuff with every attack. it okej I digress. I know it' a stater box with half sized army's in it. But seriously, what do u guys think of the gamebalence? and are the undead (the coolest team) just to weak to hang with the other 3 factions.

Out of what I have gathered so far from battle reports and stuff the powercurve looks like this, 1 elfs, 2 demons, 3 humans, 4 undead. And I really hoping u guys will disgree with me! cuse if all agree, well in that case the game has some issues.

the second questions regards the upgradecards. do runewars follow the same logic as X-wing when I comes to upgrade cards? well do u have to buy one of all boxes to get all the upgrades to a specific faction. or do u have to buy one of all that factions boxes.

thx in advance

//Bahoola

and remeber. u don't need to eat a planet to feel salty ^*

Edited by Bahoola

I'm going to try to answer you from my own experience. I understand your feeling that the undead are weaker than Daqan if you have played just with the Core box. It's true that Waiqar has more troubles to win in small battles of 100 points. However the game is planned to be played with 200 points, and there the game seems balanced. Waiqar gets his best potential when it has a lot of figures on the table. I said seems balanced because I have not played versus Uthuk yet :D Besides, you can play two completely different games without changing armies because this game is so dependant of the decisions you take during deployment.

Regarding the second question, I have not played X-wing, but you can get all upgrades that you need just buying one box of each expansion of the faction you are building. You don't need to buy boxes of other factions because one specific upgrade is not limited to one box. For example, Wind Rune upgrade it comes in Latari Army box, but it is also included in Reanimated Archers Box and in Rune Golems Box. You can search for a specific upgrade in the wiki .

Edited by Athelin

I'll second Athellin's connect about balance. It's better for Waiqar at larger army sizes, but also as you get the expansions. Combat Ingenuity and Lingering Dead really change the game for Waiqar, but they are only found in Reanimate Archers and Reanimates expansions respectively.

Additionally, Ardus is expensive in part because of his army-building ability, Host of Crows. The higher the points cap for your have, the more units you can bring to take advantage of his ability, which makes his cost a bit more reasonable. Because some games he's a blender, but in others he gets wiped out, but if you're saving points by bringing smaller units and still getting good upgrades on them, it can turn the ride if battle.

So far I’ve played two intro games as Waiqar. One loss, mostly due to poor tactical choices, and one win. The lessons learned from the loss really helped. My tips would be:

• Cover your archers. If they are caught in melee they are done for.
  • Your reanimates are fodder. They will die, some will come back and they will die again. Use them to tie up the spearmen and stop them from getting to a more important unit.
  • Get some blight on the Rune Gollum, then hit it in the face with the Lancer or Ardus (only if you can keep the Lancer close enough to let Ardus use it’s ability). Mortal wounds are the way to go.
  • If you can’t blight the Rune Gollum try and skip around it. This is a theory, but they don’t really seem very agile
4 hours ago, Major Tom said:

If you can’t blight the Rune Gollum try and skip around it. This is a theory, but they don’t really seem very agile

What they are is slow. Having a white reform means that they can point in whatever direction they want each round. They don't have a move-turn, so it's harder for them to be sure they can nail an unengaged enemy, but they can aim wherever they want, and if you actually get to the battle, they can easily flank engaged opponents.

They're initiative 4 movement relies on [circle] runes, so they can move early if they're lucky, or be required to move late if they're not lucky.

Edited by Xelto

The game is still fairly small and new, but from seven recent store championships across North America and Europe, Waiqar won 2, Latari elves won 3, and Uthuk Y'llan won 2. Daqan took second a couple times, but it definitely looks like the faction balance is pretty good!

Waiqar excel with blight synergy, and it gets sooo much easier to do that at 200 points.