Things new players should know?

By Holmelund, in Elder Sign

Hi all

I just purchased a used copy of the game and plan on using it to introduce my wife to the wonderful(horrible) world of Arkham.

But what should new players know?
What are often made newbie mistakes in this game?
What order to purchase Expansions in?
Do you, like in AH LCG, add all cards from expansions into one big pool
etc.

Cheers and thank you

I don't believe there is any set order to buying the expansions, though I did notice when playing Omens of the Deep that some of the cards called for the cursed/blessed dice which are found in the Unseen Forces expansion.

The expansions are fairly self contained, so you don't mix them with the core set beyond using some cards/components. I did end up mixing Unseen Forces in with the core set because it improves the game and isn't set in a different location or with a different theme like the others.

As for tips for new players - It's tempting to always go for the adventures with Elder Signs on them, but you should go for others too and collect your Unique/Common Items and Spells - you're going to need them for the harder adventures cards.

12 hours ago, Dodd81 said:

don't believe there is any set order to buying the expansions, though I did notice when playing Omens of the Deep that some of the cards called for the cursed/blessed dice which are found in the Unseen Forces expansion.

True, but all these come in the form of split reward / split penalty, so that if you don't own Unseen Forces, you'll select the other option in the specific reward / penalty, so that in the end all expansions are 100% playable with just the core set

On 2/27/2018 at 4:34 AM, Dodd81 said:

I don't believe there is any set order to buying the expansions, though I did notice when playing Omens of the Deep that some of the cards called for the cursed/blessed dice which are found in the Unseen Forces expansion.

I'd personally recommend grabbing Unseen Forces and Grave Consequences first since they add mechanics and cards without expanding the scope of the game beyond the Museum. After that, you'll want to grab Gates of Arkham to give yourself a taste of a wider game with bigger stakes and challenges and then get the Omens series if you want some advanced, specialized campaigns.