Custom Hero: Brakar the Clever (WoD, AoD, ToI)

By RhunDraco, in Descent Home Brews

Yep, another one!

Brakar v1.5

Haha! I had actually made a similar guy once but never got a chance to use him. I don't know if placing one token is really going to be effective though.

Big Remy said:

Haha! I had actually made a similar guy once but never got a chance to use him. I don't know if placing one token is really going to be effective though.

Well, he can spend as much fatigue as he wants to lay down the effects, so he could theoretically throw down a lot of tiles that block LOS/slow enemies for one turn.

I haven't playtested this one yet, either, but I shall try very soon.

Got 5 hours of playtesting with Brakar tonight. I bumped his fatigue up by 1, as my friend and I talked about it and we both agreed that his hero ability just wasn't all that useful with less fatigue - too much fatigue going to boost attacks and only once did my friend use Brakar's hero ability.

However, that one use was perfectly timed. The heroes had just entered a dungeon (we were using dungeon levels from RtL in succession) and they needed a break so he used Brakar's ability to create a fog wall to block LOS from the skeletons I had packed into the next area. I wasn't able to get any melee creatures close enough in one turn (except one suicidal beastman) so I held back and then trounced the party later. ;)

Overall, I think Brakar is an interesting character.

Latest:

brakar_the_clever-1.jpg

2CT is underpriced.

3CT is standard for 12W 1Ar heroes. And his ability is usefully defensive in nature...

I like the concept though

Corbon said:

2CT is underpriced.

3CT is standard for 12W 1Ar heroes. And his ability is usefully defensive in nature...

I like the concept though

Thanks for the input, Corbon. I was thinking it may be low - will bump CT up to 3.

Latest. Increased CT.

Brakar v1.8

What if you lowered his fatigue to 3-4 and changed his ability so that by paying 1 fatigue he may place 2 tiles down

Or perhaps...

"At the start of the Overlord's turn, Brakar the Clever may place a one-space fog, ice, or mud token on any empty space adjacent to him, and may pay 1 Fatigue to do it an additional time. All tokens placed this way dissapear at the end of the Overlord's turn."

Would make it more tactical, and would make players more likely to use it, rather than wasting Fatigue to power up attacks (My players would love this, however, and I'm grabbing him just for them. Gonna let them place Rubble and Water tokens in place of the others until I get expansions though).

Eitherway, definately a fun character. And I have to agree that 3 Conquest would be reasonable on him.

Tadask Nezerull said:

Or perhaps...

"At the start of the Overlord's turn, Brakar the Clever may place a one-space fog, ice, or mud token on any empty space adjacent to him, and may pay 1 Fatigue to do it an additional time. All tokens placed this way dissapear at the end of the Overlord's turn."

Would make it more tactical, and would make players more likely to use it, rather than wasting Fatigue to power up attacks (My players would love this, however, and I'm grabbing him just for them. Gonna let them place Rubble and Water tokens in place of the others until I get expansions though).

Eitherway, definately a fun character. And I have to agree that 3 Conquest would be reasonable on him.

From wat you said, I'm guessing your play group still doesn't know that heroes can change Fatigue into movement points instead? This is because almost no veteran hero would waste fatigue on power dice for attacks (usually) when they can do much more useful stuff with the fatigue.

Nope, we've only skimmed the manual over thus far, and played with simple rules to get an idea of the game. I'll have to sit down and fully read the rules some time, probably tonight when I'm sitting in my room by myself XD