Custom Hero: Nya

By RhunDraco, in Descent Home Brews

Yet Another Custom Hero. Would like your input!

Nya v1.4

This person, with any number of skills/weapon combos will become very broken very fast.

With 4 speed and 5 fatigue, you'll probably be within 2 spaces of multiple targets each attack, and with skills like Eagle Eye, Lucky, Born to the Bow, etc etc (any skill that gives range, damage or pierce to ranged attacks) will become insanely powerful on this person.

Big Remy said:

This person, with any number of skills/weapon combos will become very broken very fast.

With 4 speed and 5 fatigue, you'll probably be within 2 spaces of multiple targets each attack, and with skills like Eagle Eye, Lucky, Born to the Bow, etc etc (any skill that gives range, damage or pierce to ranged attacks) will become insanely powerful on this person.

Yeah, I have the inkling that she'd be quite powerful. I thought I'd made her worth 3CT, so I'll definitely change that. I'll get some testing in with her this week.

Playtested Nya last night, for about 5 hours and used two variations of her. Both variations have the same traits, and had dice set to 1/2/0.

The first used the split ranged attack ability and the second used the following:

"When making an attack, and after dice are rolled, Nya may spend 1 fatigue to give that attack: 1 surge: Pierce 2"

In both cases, she was able to deal quite a bit of damage. With the split attack she was softening monsters up well for the other heroes to finish off. Once we switched to the Pierce variation, she, of course, was starting to stomp on monsters, which was expected. Still, even though she was doing well, with 8 wounds I still managed to down her several times using traps and well-played Charges.

We played long enough for the group to start getting silver equipment. With better armor (Enchanted Breastplate) and and weapon (Bow of the Hawk) she became even better but with scaled up monsters she still seemed to balance out OK with the lower initial wounds.

How we played: I drew dungeons from the RtL dungeon deck and we played them in succession. With the sparser distribution of chests the heroes had a hard time but they were still doing fairly well. On the third dungeon I switched one chest to a silver and then the next monsters to spawn in became silver as well. Next time I'll play it differently, but it was a nice playtesting session.

So far I like Nya, but I think more playtesting is in order.

Latest version of Nya. I bounced around several ideas but just haven't been able to find a hero ability that I like better than the options I came up with. I ended up going the Pierce variant I described before (except I changed when she may spend fatigue to get Pierce). Here she is:

Nya v1.9

I've considered the following hero ability for Nya:

"Nya may add the bonuses from an offhand melee weapon to her one-handed Ranged attacks."

Input?

Doesn't make much sense thematically.

It has a reasonable chance of becoming utterly worthless if you happen to draw two-handed weapons instead of one-handed weapons.

Even when you can use it, it's usefulness is highly dependent on expansions and party composition; the Morningstar (ToI) provides a hugely better off-hand bonus than anything short of a gold weapon, but there's only one of it; otherwise you're getting +1 damage (Sword) or 1 free surge (Dagger), and it's questionable whether those are worth giving up a shield. Even +1 damage or 1 free surge on all ranged attacks, all the time, no strings attached, would be a mediocre ability (compare Mad Carthos or Landrec the Wise).

Hello! I like the custom characters you're doing. I just recently bought Descent, and am planning to play for the first time tomorrow. So I don't have any feedback for your characters yet. However, I wanted to ask how you're making these custom characters? Is there a program somewhere that can be downloaded? I looked around the FF website a while back and they said they had a character creator and/or quest creator, but I wasn't able to find it. Could you help me out? You seem to have a great grasp on making custom content. ;)

Thanks!

Antistone said:

Doesn't make much sense thematically.

It has a reasonable chance of becoming utterly worthless if you happen to draw two-handed weapons instead of one-handed weapons.

Even when you can use it, it's usefulness is highly dependent on expansions and party composition; the Morningstar (ToI) provides a hugely better off-hand bonus than anything short of a gold weapon, but there's only one of it; otherwise you're getting +1 damage (Sword) or 1 free surge (Dagger), and it's questionable whether those are worth giving up a shield. Even +1 damage or 1 free surge on all ranged attacks, all the time, no strings attached, would be a mediocre ability (compare Mad Carthos or Landrec the Wise).

Funny! When I first came up with this idea, I had also planned on giving her a a free surge on ranged attacks, but left it out as it seemed a bit much. :)

Admiral142 said:

Hello! I like the custom characters you're doing. I just recently bought Descent, and am planning to play for the first time tomorrow. So I don't have any feedback for your characters yet. However, I wanted to ask how you're making these custom characters? Is there a program somewhere that can be downloaded? I looked around the FF website a while back and they said they had a character creator and/or quest creator, but I wasn't able to find it. Could you help me out? You seem to have a great grasp on making custom content. ;)

Thanks!

Thanks Admiral142. I just think it's fun to try and come up with interesting addons. I don't have much experience at all with design for games so I'm attempting to learn the concepts while having fun.

Here's the link to the editor.

Thanks for the link! I checked it out, but it appears that the application is no longer available. Would you be alright with e-mailing me the program? My e-mail is [email protected] . I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!

Sure. But go back now and remove your email address from the post if you can - spambots dig through forums and message boards to harvest addresses.

Edit: Oops! I posted the wrong link for the file. Get it here.

Got it, thanks! The new link worked. Sweet looking program! BTW, if you enjoy making custom content and you enjoy Fantasy Flight games (obviously), you should check out Strange Eons ( cgjennings.ca/eons/index.html ) for Arkham Horror. It's a great program.

Thanks again!

I have a lot of heroes that I have made, but cannot for the life of me get them to show up on this silly forum. Any help?