Total Unit Cost: 18
Rune Golems [17] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 17
Oathsworn Cavalry [46] 2x3
Forged In Battle [4]
Column Tactics [4]
Total Unit Cost: 54
Total: 196/200
It's a little all over the place, but I'd very much like to see how Golems feel with Visored Helms, and the min Spearmen plus single Golem look like a good hammer and anvil module to defend the Crossbows (on paper at least). I've been really happy with Forged in Battle on 3x2 Oathsworn, and I'd like to see how the unit works without Hawthorne. Last 4 points might go to a Marching Cornicen or Raven Tabards.

It's an original idea, with so little spearmen. I like it. Maybe I would change that 2x3 cavalry to a 2x2 and add another golem to the lone one. However, that would take out Forged in battle. I'm really looking forward to reading how it was in a real game. Please tell us.

Something similar did well at Fantasy Flight Game Center's SC, piloted by a Dev. I have concerns about it against anything that has reliable wound token generation, which sadly, Waiqar is king at.

9 hours ago, rebellightworks said:

Something similar did well at Fantasy Flight Game Center's SC, piloted by a Dev. I have concerns about it against anything that has reliable wound token generation, which sadly, Waiqar is king at.

Yeah playing almost exclusively against Waiqar hasn't helped my opinion of Rune Golems any, that's for sure. That said, the single Golem at least is intended as a flanker and not a blocker, so for 17 points I think there's some promise.

Tried the list last night, got crushed, but that's at least partially due to a COMPLETELY mysterious error turn one: rather than rallying and holding the line, I had my spearmen... turn charge into nothing, blocking the single Golem that was setting up to flank whatever charged them. Even so, impressions:

• 2x1 Golems with Visored Helms: the Helms DID save a Golem's life by turning an 8-damage hit into 1 wound rather than 2. In retrospect I could have rallied it to use it again, not sure it would have mattered (Ravos pacmanned into them). They got a couple attacks off, did a bit of damage, just... 35 points is kind of a lot. Unconvinced.
  • 2x1 blocking Spearmen: massively misplayed so this is a poor case for them, but 16 damage isn't all that much. Worth spending more time with.
  • 2x3 Oathsworn: got matched up against a Berserkers deathstar with Wind Rune so they were pretty outclassed, but made a decent showing for themselves. It certainly feels a little more nimble than the 3x2, and has a good chance of being relevant all game long.

Overall I have concerns about its ability to DO enough.