Novellas - Sword and the Spirits

By Duciris, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

And you can bet, with Rob Denton writing this one, it's gonna be good!

My inner Phoenix might be showing, but is anyone else super excited about the insert detailing

the history of the Phoenix Clan, the Kaito family, and its darkest secrets.

Can't wait for all the delicious details. :D

That on the cover could be another art for Tsukune? It seems so.

Tadaka is starting his turn to the dark side. :D

Tsukune will try to save him.........

Spoiler alert: she doesn't, but, she "will do her best."

I know nothing about Arkham Horror but this is super exciting to me!

This will be great, not only a return to L5R novels(novellas), but cards included? Especially that Ancestral Sword of the Phoenix with a sweet art! I truly feel that this is a great time to be a L5R fan.

(1) long-form fiction

(2) beautiful cover art

(3) comes with alternate art cards (dat Tsukune tho)

(4) only 15 USD

(5) first entry is Phoenix/Tsukune focused by RDIII

what's not to love???

I'm just curious why the clan champion is handling this issue and not delegating. :lol:

... because it's Tadaka.

1 hour ago, Bayushi Tsubaki said:

I'm just curious why the clan champion is handling this issue and not delegating. :lol:

39 minutes ago, Manchu said:

... because it's Tadaka.

^ This. Yay for tragic yojimbo/charge romantic entanglements.

Also... remember, the Phoenix Clan Champion, particularly at this point in the clan's history, really isn't as involved in running things as the champions of the other clans. Look at her role in Kaede's wedding to Toturi... "And Tsukune was there too."

Touche...

I do, now, feel like we need a better idea of exactly what the Phoenix Champion actually is responsible for. It's just dawned on me that I don't think that's ever been explained, lol.

Just FYI, they've confirmed that we're getting a playset of the 2 cards.

6 hours ago, Bayushi Tsubaki said:

Touche...

I do, now, feel like we need a better idea of exactly what the Phoenix Champion actually is responsible for. It's just dawned on me that I don't think that's ever been explained, lol.

The Phoenix Clan Champion represents the Elemental Council to the Emperor. They are also usually in command of the Phoenix armies in their infrequent times of war. Also the Shiba family daimyo.

Someone better versed in Phoenix internal dynamics can correct/add to this.

Edited by Kakita Shiro
6 hours ago, Duciris said:

Just FYI, they've confirmed that we're getting a playset of the 2 cards.

Where was this confirmed? I haven't seen this yet

1 hour ago, Kakita Shiro said:

The Phoenix Clan Champion represents the Elemental Council to the Emperor. They are also usually in command of the Phoenix armies in their infrequent times of war. Also the Shiba family daimyo.

Someone better versed in Phoenix internal dynamics can correct/add to this.

That's essentially it.

Shiba promised that he and his followers would always protect the Isawa and never try to supplant the authority of the Isawa Council and force them to serve him. This resulted in the dynamic of the Isawa Council being in charge of the day to day operations of the clan and the Shiba being in charge of all matters relating to defense of the clan both in territory and abroad.

5 minutes ago, OokamiGauru said:

Where was this confirmed? I haven't seen this yet

Katrina Ostrander's Twitter account.

The book is listed as shipping on the upcoming page. So it's about 1-2 weeks away.

4 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

The book is listed as shipping on the upcoming page. So it's about 1-2 weeks away.

In other places (Facebook and Discord) the release date was confirmed for May 31st.

Coolstuff has the release as the 31st as well.

She’s basically a custodian with greater aspirations, dissatisfied with her job but having no other options. Again, something I personally find relatable. “Why am I working this dead-end job?” is a question a lot of people ask themselves.

Designers and writers at FFG are obviously burnout.

3 hours ago, Dovla said:

Designers and writers at FFG are obviously burnout.

I can't speak for them, but I'm not an FFG employee. ;)

I picked mine up today, pretty darn cool!

Deliveries are behind at my LGS, so it will *maybe* be in tomorrow...hopefully. I've been waiting so long for this novella, I don't wanna wait any more. ?

I had to order it from the FFG online shop... and I’m from Spain. So at least 10-15 days until it’s here. ?