Winnipeg regionals, March 3rd, 2018

By SkyCake, in Star Wars: Armada Organized Play

Anyone going? Last time I checked only 3 registered...

Only had 6, 2 years ago...they don't advertise it much and push it...small community. But sometimes people come up from Minnesota/Fargo area. I was surprised they got another one. Yes , you, Mat and I are probably the 3 registered lol.

I wish I could, but if I don't work Friday Night, they'll just make me work Sunday Night instead... >.>

If it's just two people from Calgary and a guy from the middle of nowhere (Saskatchewan), can we just meet in Medicine Hat or something to save on fuel?

Geeze... And Vancouver BC didn't get a regional... Just saying.

Is there a Winnipeg armada Facebook group?

Edited by SkyCake
15 hours ago, SkyCake said:

Geeze... And Vancouver BC didn't get a regional... Just saying.

Is there a Winnipeg armada Facebook group?

X-Wing & Armada League Winnipeg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/XWLWPG/

very little armada discussion. I know at a weekend tournament they only had 6 people and 1 was from Minnesota....

Edited by Mogrok
2 hours ago, Mogrok said:

X-Wing & Armada League Winnipeg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/XWLWPG/

very little armada discussion. I know at a weekend tournament they only had 6 people and 1 was from Minnesota....

Hi, I'm one of the locals. The tournament you're referring to I think that was my first or second event ever, we met very briefly, didn't play each other though.

Yeah, we don't have tons of people playing, i think the biggest we had was 10 or so for our Store Champ last summer (I forgot this was THAT long ago). Hopefully we'll have a decent sized turnout for our Regional, especially with what sounds like a few of you guys coming in.

Basically the reason we get Regionals (for most FFG games) is that our local store owner always pushes for them to provide events for us. Plus I believe they're somewhat at least based on geography and not strictly population. I mean, Thunder Bay had one and they're a fraction of the size of Winnipeg.

Anyhow, if you guys have any questions feel free to hit me up, I'll answer what I can.

Edited by efay

The online registration I don't believe includes locals that have registered in store, there's definitely more than 3 registered :).

Cool, maybe I'll give the store a shout a little closer to the date get some idea of the numbers

30 minutes ago, SkyCake said:

Cool, maybe I'll give the store a shout a little closer to the date get some idea of the numbers

I'm guessing around 8-10 locals. There's a couple of new guys that just started up recently that I'm unsure if they'll come out or not. And we have at least 2 guys that sometimes get stuck working weekends. So that could vary a bit obviously. It's definitely not a big community, but we're slowly adding a person here and there which is good.

There are 2 of us from ND that are trying to work it out to make it and we're not registered yet. (Barring my kid doesn't become a 3' mobile vomitcano like he did for the MN regional or something.) I talked to 1 Minnesota regular who was likely heading that way - I don't know if he registered or not.

However, no Bothans were harmed in getting this intel, so its veracity is dubious.

Any regulars know a particularly good, CHEAP place to stay in Winnipeg?

Bumping into @Drasnighta or @SkyCake would make my trip.

Good to hear, the more the merrier...

I too am interested in cheap accommodations.

6 hours ago, deDios said:

There are 2 of us from ND that are trying to work it out to make it and we're not registered yet. (Barring my kid doesn't become a 3' mobile vomitcano like he did for the MN regional or something.) I talked to 1 Minnesota regular who was likely heading that way - I don't know if he registered or not.

However, no Bothans were harmed in getting this intel, so its veracity is dubious.

Any regulars know a particularly good, CHEAP place to stay in Winnipeg?

Bumping into @Drasnighta or @SkyCake would make my trip.

Doing a quick check, there's a couple that are all around $100-115CDN for 2 guests.

The game store, A Muse N Games, is fairly close to the airport, so there's a few number of hotels in the area.

So the Airport Motor Inn looks like the winner so far, but again, no idea on what the quality is like, didn't even know it existed to be honest.

Definitely more the merrier! We have a couple decent brew pubs that are close by as well if you're interested in that sort of thing :)

Edited by efay

I was just talking to the store owner a bit and there's currently 8 spots available, and I know a few locals haven't registered as of yet. The EventBrite page definitely doesn't reflect that as of this writing, but I suggested trying to update that if possible as well.

Online registration link is here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2017-2018-armada-regional-championship-tickets-39903564636?aff=efbeventtix

Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/249732098889065/

So I think we're sitting somewhere around 9 or 10 players registered (there was at least one instore registration yesterday, not sure if EventBrite page reflects that). So looking like a decent turnout so far. And it's warming up outside as well, so should be decent driving weather at least within Manitoba.

Hopefully all of you guys from out of town are able to make it in, looking forward to having some good games next week :).

As of last night we have 12 players registered for this Saturday now.

Huge winter storm alert for Friday through Sunday in southern Alberta... So it might be. Dicey.

2 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Huge winter storm alert for Friday through Sunday in southern Alberta... So it might be. Dicey.

Best of luck to anyone that does opt to drive in that. So far it looks like it's going to be hovering around zero for the next week here. Saturday is calling for +3C and possible rain.

LicH.gif

Looks like 13 players so far! Should be a nice little dust up!

Edited by SkyCake
1 hour ago, SkyCake said:

Looks like 13 players so far! Should be a nice little dust up!

Yup! Was just at the store talking to the owner actually. From what he said there was the odd other one still thinking about it, and we're capped at 16 so there's potential for a full house.

Hopefully get in Friday night dinner time... Anyone want to get together for food or cocktails?

12 hours ago, SkyCake said:

Hopefully get in Friday night dinner time... Anyone want to get together for food or cocktails?

@SkyCake just talking to a few other locals, probably down for meeting up for a drink. One of the guys and myself are going to try to sneak a quick game in tomorrow evening so we're thinking somewhere around like 8-8:30ish. As for location, One Great City Brewing Co (brew-pub) is fairly close to the game store and is generally really solid for food and beer.

1 hour ago, efay said:

@SkyCake just talking to a few other locals, probably down for meeting up for a drink. One of the guys and myself are going to try to sneak a quick game in tomorrow evening so we're thinking somewhere around like 8-8:30ish. As for location, One Great City Brewing Co (brew-pub) is fairly close to the game store and is generally really solid for food and beer.

You going to play at a muse n? Maybe we'll drop by and check it out, maybe play if we get there early enough

The Western ND crew (of 2) is not arriving until 10 or 11pm Fri. The weather has me worried, but we'll put the good tires on and rely on Canadian hospitality if necessary.

If the tourney has an odd number, we have 1 guy coming (to watch) who has played 2 games ever (however he is very excited about it)... is it better for 1 guys to miss a game each round and get an 8-3, or to give 3 random guys an possible 10-1. Although, I think if his opponent was slightly more casual than 'Regionals', he could make the match interesting. He actually played well in his 2nd game, but his knowledge of upgrades is minimal. We'll see how numbers work out on Saturday before twisting his arm.

On a related note, I had to drive 5 hours and got a 1st round random bye my first tournament. It was a bit anti-climactic. My 2nd round (first game ever) was with the Worlds ref because of my 8 point 'victory'. Haha. Good times.

On 2/27/2018 at 7:20 AM, Drasnighta said:

If Dicey is like yours and my dice rolls, that is a very bad thing. I'm hoping for at least blue dice rather than red for the weather.