Twilight Imperium RPG? (How well do you think they follow the fluff?)

By Marinealver, in Twilight Imperium

So looking for Twilight Imperium Podcast and I stubled upon this a group of guys playing a pen and paper RPG in the background of Twilight Imperium.

http://www.podcasts.com/twilight-imperium-renegades-c217d945c/episode/Twilight-Imperium-Renegades-Episode-1-The-Heist-3028

So the group is a bunch of Mentak Rebels (rebelling from Rebels? Also why is the Mentak like the most popular faction?) and they grab a ship and go on the typical RPG stuff. They come across Ysarli, mistaken for Letnev fugitives, run across a Sol Battlefleet. and other stuff. Any thoughts on it, are they faithful to the fluff and did they use the right system?

The Ghosts Episode (ep10) really confused me, at first I thought they came across Ceres but then I was shouting "you have fallen into a Hylar Experiment, and now are all test subjects"

Edited by Marinealver

I think it would be weird for Firefly to be working for the Alliance, or Han Solo smuggling for the Empire. The Mentak are a good, as neutral as you get faction in TI. When Merchants and Governments are going to hire smugglers, they would probably get a "Pirate" faction to do it, not some of their own (if they don't want the blame).

7 minutes ago, Vilnic said:

I think it would be weird for Firefly to be working for the Alliance, or Han Solo smuggling for the Empire. The Mentak are a good, as neutral as you get faction in TI. When Merchants and Governments are going to hire smugglers, they would probably get a "Pirate" faction to do it, not some of their own (if they don't want the blame).

They are not exactly Mentak, they are Mentak Rebels. BUt I do admit entak is as good of a starting area for any RPG.

Great now I want a Twilight Imperium MMO. Mol Primus is the starting area.

16 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Great now I want a Twilight Imperium MMO. Mol Primus is the starting area.

Would love that, but I'd settle for an online version of TI, especially one you could "save" for your group. Can't get a group to sit down for 8 hours straight, play the online one, do it 3 hours today, 3 hours the week after, and 2 hours the week after that. Add in a reasonable AI for less than 6 players (down to 1), and its golden.

52 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Great now I want a Twilight Imperium MMO.

I think I would abandon every game I play on pc for a TI-MMO.

On 2/11/2018 at 2:20 AM, Marinealver said:

Also why is the Mentak like the most popular faction?)

The Ghosts Episode (ep10) really confused me, at first I thought they came across Ceres but then I was shouting "you have fallen into a Hylar Experiment, and now are all test subjects"

To be noted that Mentak is the only truly cosmopolitan faction. Since racial and cultural diversity is usually a key element in character creation, basing a game or a RPG on a racially diverse faction makes sense.

We can assume that there are other cosmopolitan hubs in the "international waters" of the galaxy (Mecatol, trade stations, some planets, etc), but the factions themselves are all centered around their own race's quest for supremacy, either by elitism (Hylar), arrogance (Letnev), condescension (Xxcha), tribal mentality (Yssaril), or because no one else wants to associate with them (Saar).

Of the official factions and things we have enough information on to make a RPG without extrapolating too much, Mentak appears like the only faction allowing a "choose your race" RPG element. And with so many developed races in the TI-verse, it would be a shame to pass on that.

Edited by Laurefindel

The background does mention (if you look hard enough) that most races can be found through explored space in greater or lesser numbers, it’s just that on the macro-galactic scale the various nations are each dominated by a single species. That doesn’t mean, however, that a tramp freighter crew operating on the borders of human and letnev space couldn't have winnu, yssaril, Hylar, and/or xxcha crew members.

But yeah, the board game doesn’t draw any attention to that, being focused on the state level, so most people don’t realize it.

1 hour ago, Forgottenlore said:

The background does mention (if you look hard enough) that most races can be found through explored space in greater or lesser numbers, it’s just that on the macro-galactic scale the various nations are each dominated by a single species. That doesn’t mean, however, that a tramp freighter crew operating on the borders of human and letnev space couldn't have winnu, yssaril, Hylar, and/or xxcha crew members.

But yeah, the board game doesn’t draw any attention to that, being focused on the state level, so most people don’t realize it.

Oh, I agree completely. I meant to say that if we focus on the factions (in order to stay true to the nature of the game?), Mentak is, among the 17 factions, the most RPG-friendly.

This topic really makes me wonder when a Genesys Sourcebook for TI will be anounced.

Indeed. Anxiously waiting.

On 2/20/2018 at 8:55 AM, Xcapobl said:

This topic really makes me wonder when a Genesys Sourcebook for TI will be anounced.

Well yeah, so the rule set they use is their Star Wars: Age of Rebellion rule set which I think is what they adapted to their Genesys rule set at least for the dice. But yeah I am waiting for that and Android since they already have a background book for it but no rule set.