Imperial Strategy/Open Groups for "The Hard Way"

By TeethAlmighty, in Imperial Assault Campaign

For imperial eyes only. Spoilers ahead!

Heros: Jyn, Mak, MHD and Diala. Chewbacca Ally.

Threat level: 2

Upgrades: rebels have all level 1 xp cards, Imperials have Experimental arms and Technical Support (from Tech Superiority deck) plus distractions bane and supply disruption bane.

With low threat level, I'm trying to figure out my best open groups and strategy for those pesky rebels.

Open Groups:

I get access to expensive units (elite HK's, Dengar, elite imperial officer) but they will be tough to re-deploy owing to cost (for Dengar at threat 7, I may not even deploy at all for this reason). For open groups I'm thinking:

1.Hired Guns (cheap, potential for multiple attacks, experimental arms for surges and to trigger parting shot)

2 & 3. Probe droids (cheap, with technical support access to focus, healing, move 4, remove conditions - boss healers in the end game if need be)

4. Then I'm stuck

Heavy troopers? Moderately expensive but two units, defensive boost, red die against those pesky white defences

Elite probe droid? Expensive but gets all the benefits of tech support to either heal or attack hard

Dewback? Expensive but big and could slow the rebels down as a meatshield in front of doors.

Regular Stormies? Cheap (once deployed), easily reinforced, rerolls

Elite Nexu? Doorway meatshield plus crazy mobility (although I will already have access to the regular version as an initial group)

Strategy:

I'm thinking the strategy here is delay, delay, delay, avoid wasting attacks on Chewie (he's a monster. Like, literally) and win via the timer and or/healing the bosses. Hence the droid heavy load out. What's the best way to accomplish that? Should I use up the early threat bonuses to fill the map in the first round or 2, or wait? Also, who is the best hero to limit to one action (distraction bane) at the start? I'm thinking Diala or Mak.

Thanks for your patience with the long post. Looking forward to hearing your ideas!

Edited by TeethAlmighty

I had expected my Rebels to choose this mission in our Hoth campaign, but they inexplicably decided to try to counter my Agent Blaise one instead. In fact, I'd actually fully prepared the mission beforehand, so I vaguely remember the strategy I was considering. It, also, was centered around delays, and also moving the trandoshan away from rebels as fast as possible.. From what I remember, I wanted to go with a Nexu and an officer. I think I had some RGs too (it was the last side mission for us, so threat was less of an issue). My plan was to slow them down as much as possible, then when the trandoshan boss guy came, I'd double move and chain move (via officers) as far away from the Rebels as possible, while hitting the rest of the Rebels with everything I had- hopefully wounding, and stunning those who were healthy.

21 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

I vaguely remember the strategy I was considering. It, also, was centered around delays, and also moving the trandoshan away from rebels as fast as possible.. From what I remember, I wanted to go with a Nexu and an officer. I think I had some RGs too (it was the last side mission for us, so threat was less of an issue).

RG's would have been a good choice because of protector, but alas, threat level was an issue. Also, I've found them to be a bit underwhelming. Maybe if they had better access to surge...

Settled on heavy Stormies, 2 Probe droids and hired guns (love those guys! ) for open groups.

My plan was to slow them down as much as possible, then when the trandoshan boss guy came, I'd double move and chain move (via officers) as far away from the Rebels as possible, while hitting the rest of the Rebels with everything I had- hopefully wounding, and stunning those who were healthy.

This ended up winning the game! Once they started ignoring my figures to focus on the bosses I was able to pour on the damage and wound. Victory was sealed when I double moved the boss through a barricade of heavy Stormies away from the rebels (although one rebel was vehement that move actions had to be resolved independently vs providing a "pool" of movement points...it was the game breaker so fair enough to argue the point)

Thanks for the feedback! Being the Imperial is... intense.

Edited by TeethAlmighty

Glad to hear you had some luck with that strategy! Happy to hear a fellow Imperial defeat some Rebel scum somewhere else on the globe too :D