Wayland Asteroid Snipe viable?

By Nohwear, in Android: Netrunner Deck Building

How many Wayland players use Asteroid Mining to try and win the game? What are some good packs to pursue for this sort of deck? I currently have Revised Core, Daedalus Complex, and Blood and Water. I am new to Netrunner, and I have fallen in love with the idea of killing my opponent with a meteor.

Basically you'll need to splash NBN so you have enough tag capability. So you want packs that do that - also the Data and Destiny deluxe is nice.

Here is what I have come up with. Advice is appreciated.

Meteor Snipe (49 cards)
Jemison Astronautics: Sacrifice. Audacity. Success.
-- agenda (13 cards)
1 False Lead
3 Meteor Mining
2 Priority Requisition
1 Private Security Force
3 Project Atlas
3 Standoff
-- asset (6 cards)
3 PAD Campaign
3 Quarantine System
-- ice (21 cards)
1 Archer
2 Caduceus
3 Enigma
1 Hadrian's Wall
2 Hive
2 Hunter
2 Ice Wall
2 Shadow
3 SYNC BRE
3 Wall of Static
-- operation (6 cards)
3 Beanstalk Royalties
1 Mass Commercialization
2 Shipment from Kaguya
-- upgrade (3 cards)
3 Oberth Protocol

Download Android Netrunner DeckBuilder for free at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shuneault.netrunnerdeckbuilder

Which cards here are your tagging engine? You need tags to make the meteor trick work.

Sync BRE, Shadow, and Hunter.

The issue I see is all your tagging ability is in ICE subroutines, which means that the only way the Runner is getting tagged is if they fail to break them and also fail to beat the Trace. To really pursue this strategy you need some less chancy ways to tag the Runner. Cards like SEA Source, News Team, Forced Connection and Ghost Branch are examples of cards that let you spray tags on the Runner that they cannot avoid by breaking subs.

First of all, thank you. Secondly, do you have any recommendations for what to purchase next? I am just getting into the hobby, and my card pool is very limited right now.

First off I can say what not to purchase as they are no longer "legal" because of Rotation:

- Original Core Set

- Any Data Packs in the Spin or Genesis Cycles

For recommended purchases, Terminal Directive gives Weyland nice goodies. Honor and Profit does the same for Jinteki, Chaos and Control for Haas Bioroid and Data and Destiny for NBN. As I specialize in Jinteki as Corp and when running I get esoteric and use APEX my usual approach is to scan resources like cardgamedb or Jinteki.net and identify cards that fit my plan and where they are found.

For example, yesterday I finally got my hands on the Data Pack Blood and Water. I like a lot of the cards in it but my principal objective was a Jinteki agenda named Obokata Protocol. This is a 5-3 Agenda that the Runner cannot steal unless they take 4 Net Damage. Hence it is only vulnerable if the Runner has more than 4 cards in hand or they have something deployed that either blocks Net Damage or voids the text of the Agenda.

On 2/11/2018 at 2:52 PM, Nohwear said:

Sync BRE, Shadow, and Hunter.

Something that new players don’t often quite notice is that ice by and large never does what is printed on it. Barriers don’t keep the runner out, code gates don’t disrupt the game state, and sentries usually don’t punish the runner. Instead, what ice does is tax the runner, either in the time and the money it takes to locate and install an icebreaker, or in the cost to break the ice once their icebreaker is installed.

To get Meteor Mining to fire, you need to get two tags on the runner and the runner will never, *ever* allow that to happen from tagging ice. Why would they? The only way they would even get one tag is if they encountered one of your ice without a Killer installed, and that is going to happen once per game, if at all. Assuming they do faceplant into one of your tracer ice, they will clear the tag and never go near it again until they have an icebreaker. It is not a winning strategy to rely on your opponent doing something stupid.

Instead, your task as the corp is to pile on so many tags that the runner can’t clear them out, which even in the case of a Sea Source/Closed Accounts/Hard-Hitting News combo probably doesn’t keep them tagged for more than two or three turns. And even that relies on you having the agenda ready, enough money to execute both the combo and the advancement, and ice installed to keep the runner out while you advance your agenda and they are still clearing tags. That’s a LOT of variables which have to come together, and many points of failure which prevent your combo.

For this reason Meteor Mining is just not very commonly played; it is not considered a very good card in the game. Your deck would be stronger if you had almost any other win condition.

Edited by Grimwalker
On 2/13/2018 at 2:12 PM, Grimwalker said:

Something that new players don’t often quite notice is that ice by and large never does what is printed on it. Barriers don’t keep the runner out, code gates don’t disrupt the game state, and sentries usually don’t punish the runner. Instead, what ice does is tax the runner, either in the time and the money it takes to locate and install an icebreaker, or in the cost to break the ice once their icebreaker is installed.

To get Meteor Mining to fire, you need to get two tags on the runner and the runner will never, *ever* allow that to happen from tagging ice. Why would they? The only way they would even get one tag is if they encountered one of your ice without a Killer installed, and that is going to happen once per game, if at all. Assuming they do faceplant into one of your tracer ice, they will clear the tag and never go near it again until they have an icebreaker. It is not a winning strategy to rely on your opponent doing something stupid.

Instead, your task as the corp is to pile on so many tags that the runner can’t clear them out, which even in the case of a Sea Source/Closed Accounts/Hard-Hitting News combo probably doesn’t keep them tagged for more than two or three turns. And even that relies on you having the agenda ready, enough money to execute both the combo and the advancement, and ice installed to keep the runner out while you advance your agenda and they are still clearing tags. That’s a LOT of variables which have to come together, and many points of failure which prevent your combo.

For this reason Meteor Mining is just not very commonly played; it is not considered a very good card in the game. Your deck would be stronger if you had almost any other win condition.

The point made here that you can't rely purely on ICE subroutines to do your work is excellent.

My Corp of choice is and has been Jinteki and some key components of my deck builds tend to be:

a) ICE that the Runner feels they have to break. In the world of Jinteki this typically means subroutines that will either End the Run or apply Brain Damage (because it is permanent) or more Net Damage then the Runner can sustain. This forces the Runner to expend resources to break that ICE. In essence it is a tax.

b) Agendas that themselves help the taxing. For example, Nisei Mk II is a good taxer because when scored it gives you a token that can be played anytime to End the Run. This means a wasted click at minimum for the Runner and likely also wasted credits breaking ICE because the Runner will know you're not going to use such a counter until they have broken all ICE on a run (there is a window just after the last ICE break where you can do it).

Also good taxers are "self defending" agendas like Obokata Protocol and The Future Perfect. These impose an added cost to steal them either in the form of a direct hit (like Obokata Protocol and its 4 Net Damage cost to steal) or tax in the form of credits (like Future Perfect and its PSI game). Another one I like is Water Monopoly because when scored it directly increases the Runner's costs (adds 1 to cost to play a Resource).

c) Server assets and upgrades like Hokusai Grid, Ben Musashi, Marcus Batty and yes - I use Chairman Hiro :) These again add costs to the Runner.

d) Last but not least, things that let me affect the Runner on my turn. And after Rotation Jinteki has a nifty one in Ronin. Ambushes like Junebug need to be spoken of too. A big reason that Ronin is important is that it means the Runner cannot just ignore an installed card with advancements on it that does not score right away. Sure it could be an Ambush like Junebug but it can also be Ronin. So they again make the Runner spend clicks and credits he would rather be stacking up for runs that get him points.

Hope that helps a little.