No Reach for Royal guard Champion

By topacesteve, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

Hello, has anyone complained to FFG about the RGC having no Reach ability whereas the simple royal guards, carrying smaller "sticks" have it?

It completely destroys the effectiveness of his brutality. And its totally unthematic since hes carrying a dual bladed spear larger than himself

As much as I would LOVE for him to have reach (seriously, he is my favorite character) reach would make his brutality over the top in a way. He has six speed, which is the highest in the game for a small figure right next to boba fett.

Also, thematically, the force pike is often wielded onehanded and can be easily extended outward, while the double glaive is a two handed weapon meant for dealing with multiple targets.

Edited by MadFuhrer

You have to remember the RGC is one of the original figures to be released with the core/Wave 1. At that time, his printed 6 speed was the highest in the game until Boba came a few months later. The Royal Guards are also original figures with a speed of 5 and Reach meaning both figures technically have the same effective attack range. Having the RGC and pre-nerf Royal Guard with that kind of speed, power, and range at the game's inception meant they were plenty deadly. I agree with @MadFuhrer that giving the RGC Reach definitely would've made his abilities and speed combo OP.

Nowadays, the RGC even without Reach is still a pretty good figure. The real problem is his cost. He's more expensive than Hater Vader meaning he'll never see the tabletop unless FFG "fixes" him. I think he should be one of the top figures on the list behind Boba Fett to receive a fix. I would like to see them differentiate the RGC too. He felt too much like a faster Vader and I think they could change that a bit.

1 hour ago, The Archangel said:

You have to remember the RGC is one of the original figures to be released with the core/Wave 1. At that time, his printed 6 speed was the highest in the game until Boba came a few months later. The Royal Guards are also original figures with a speed of 5 and Reach meaning both figures technically have the same effective attack range. Having the RGC and pre-nerf Royal Guard with that kind of speed, power, and range at the game's inception meant they were plenty deadly. I agree with @MadFuhrer that giving the RGC Reach definitely would've made his abilities and speed combo OP.

Nowadays, the RGC even without Reach is still a pretty good figure. The real problem is his cost. He's more expensive than Hater Vader meaning he'll never see the tabletop unless FFG "fixes" him. I think he should be one of the top figures on the list behind Boba Fett to receive a fix. I would like to see them differentiate the RGC too. He felt too much like a faster Vader and I think they could change that a bit.

He was a faster knock-off Vader in the beginning, and you can allow him to retain the same play mechanics now that hater Vader doesn't have brutality. RGC should lose the dodge, chewie style (or switch to two black die), keep brutality and get Reach with a cost reduction to 10. Do that, and then FFG has to finally make some promo Bleed tokens because he'll be on the table.

I don't know how far they'll go with their fixes, but I hope this otherwise awesome wave 1 figure gets a facelift.

Edited by Fightwookies
On 2/8/2018 at 12:43 PM, Fightwookies said:

RGC should lose the dodge, chewie style (or switch to two black die), keep brutality and get Reach with a cost reduction to 10. Do that, and then FFG has to finally make some promo Bleed tokens because he'll be on the table.

I don't know how far they'll go with their fixes, but I hope this otherwise awesome wave 1 figure gets a facelift.

That would seem fair for what he is. And yes, I hope they keep fixing the older figures. It really has opened up the game.

Reach with the Royal Guard weapon is altogether proper. Reach with the RGC weapon will not work. The double blades proclude using techniquesmthat would allow extension. In martial arts terms, the jo is longer than the bo (not in physical length, but in technical application). Longer weapons have to be held near the balance point. I am astonished that the designers got this right!