Background Info

By Daigotsu Naraku, in Lore Discussion

Hi all. So, i'm preparing an old 4e campaign to introduce the diehard old school L5R games to the new Canon. Is there any type of timeline outlining the canon changes online? How about word of any other Minor Clans besides the Mantis yet? I ask because I am wanting to update the old 1E Topaz Tournament, and I need to know if I should change out Doji Satsume for an Emerald Magistrate because he'd already be dead by the start of the Topaz Tournament (1st week of Spring), and if the Badger Clan exists so that I'd know if I should switch the Badger clan daimyo out for a respected Mantis dignitary.

Currently, what I understand is, "Reset to 1st ed"...

I think someone good with dates said things have shifted slightly, or that it's not the same year the old game started because of certain things we've learned from the new fictions. But I am not that person, or good with dates.

The Mantis are different, for one

Well nevermind. The group I assembled bucked against me instantly at the idea of trying to use the new Canon. I took 10 rounds with 1980s Mike Tyson worth of verbal punishment before I told them to eff themselves in the a with their Fanboy katanas.

Sorry to hear about the group.

Unfortunately that's nothing new when it comes to reboots.

As for the story, first I would say its way to early in the story to run a RPG off/in it.

If you are looking to run a game in the new canon I would started a few years before the current story.

As to the timeline, it looks to be set in the year 1123 as per DGLaderoute one of the story writers for the game.

major changes from the old timeline so far

1. Akodo Toturi is the new Emerald champion I believe.

2. Shiba Ujimitsu is dead, and Shiba Tsukune is already champion.

3. The Scorpion Clan coup has not happened yet, and since it happened around the 13th day of the Rooster of 1123 there is a good chance it will not happen this year.

4. As is well known, the Doji and Shinjo Champions are now female.

Not sure after that. Kind of gave up on reading the new canon since I'm not a fan.

Ok so after rereading the stories and catching up on the last four I haven't read.

Changes so far in the LCG story.

1. Akodo Toturi is the new Emerald champion.

2. Shiba Ujimitsu is dead (not known how), and Shiba Tsukune is already champion. Also sword no longer appears at the side of the new champion, but requires a ritual where it will only open for the new champion.

3. The Scorpion Clan coup has not happened yet, and since it happened around the 13th day of the Rooster of 1123 there is a good chance it will not happen this year. There has been talk and Togashi's visions seem to point to it being in the future. Now there has been some interesting theories floating around about the magic issues (12.) and the tsunami being caused by the scorpions and that could be what Togashi's visions meant.

4. Doji Hoturi is now Doji Hotaru, still having an affair with Bayushi Kachiko.

5. Shinjo Yokatsu is now Shinjo Altansarnai, was engaged to marry a lion lower noble but broke it off when she found out that it was braking up a family. which looks to be leading to a war with the lions.

6. Akodo Toturi was at the battle where his brother died and not at the monastery at the time. (P.S. writers, arrows fly in an arch not a straight line.)

7. Hantei Hochiahime is still around and was not captured so there are two Imperial princes not just one

8. Hantei Sotorii is still the heir to the throne but his half-brother Hantei Daisetsu (Daigotsu) is around and untainted.

9. The Ruby Champion seems to be playing a larger part in the story this time around.

10. Doji Satsume is dead, but there seems to be a dispute between Doji Hotaru and Doji Kuwanan on if it was natural causes or murder.

11. There is a dispute between Bayushi Kachiko and Bayushi Shoju about if they should overthrow the emperor. Kachiko: yes, Shoju: no.

12. There seems to be some problems with the Kami not responding to Shugenja across the empire.

13. There is a cult in the dragon lands and other areas called the Perfect Land Sect. not sure if this is a replacement for the Kolat or something new?

14. The phoenix seem to be up in arms about meishōdō. Not sure but this may be connected to (#12.) and there belief that the gaijin magic is disrupting the Kami?

15. there appears to have been a major ore/gem (possibly jade) strike near Toshi Ranbo which could widen the fighting for the city to more clans.

Sure I am missing some but that's all I can think of right now.

Edited by tenchi2a