FAQ and Errata got updated!

By GroggyGolem, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

The title explains it all. Here's the direct links:

FAQ:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/7d/81/7d8117e8-9360-4118-882d-5476544f5bbc/swrpg_faq_20.pdf

Errata:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/f4/f8/f4f8ca5f-12c8-4960-84ca-dccde66fa743/eote_errata_v20.pdf

Personally while I'm glad to see some of the updates, I still think cover should increase defense but that's my only gripe (more of a nitpick tbh).

EDIT turns out there are updates to the F&D and AoR errata as well. Links are below.

F&D:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/bb/32/bb3233f2-473a-414a-801c-820f4dbda73d/fad_errata_v10.pdf

AoR:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/41/49/41497740-b3b5-496f-9b1c-9b748777e200/aor_errata_v10.pdf

Edited by GroggyGolem

The still missed the Wookiee misspelling in Lead by Example? C’mon, FFG!

Armor and Cover don't stack? That doesn't align with how characters in the movies behave.

There it is finally:

(Eratta) “No character can have a defense rating higher than 4.”

3 minutes ago, Stan Fresh said:

Armor and Cover don't stack? That doesn't align with how characters in the movies behave.

yeah but that was allways some point people wondered about in the devs rulling,

as always if you don't like don't use it :D

Very glad to see Defense fixed, stacking actually makes sense now and a limit of 4 stops stupidity.

The other thing that stood out to me was the change to Impossible Fall, 1 Force pip to activate it instead of two, a much better talent now.

2 minutes ago, Nightone said:

yeah but that was allways some point people wondered about in the devs rulling,

as always if you don't like don't use it :D

It's not about whether I want to use it, it's about how bad a design it is to have it set up that way. It's a rule that encourages players to have their characters act unlike the character in the movies. Luke and Han don't wade out into the open to shoot at fools once they put on trooper armor, they still take cover.

7 minutes ago, Stan Fresh said:

It's not about whether I want to use it, it's about how bad a design it is to have it set up that way. It's a rule that encourages players to have their characters act unlike the character in the movies. Luke and Han don't wade out into the open to shoot at fools once they put on trooper armor, they still take cover.

Well Luke and Han didn't wear any armor with defense rating ever (Stormtrooper armor has no def rating only soak) so it's kinde of a mute point. Only Character with a def rating was Boba fett an he did stand all in the Open on that bark... and got a dispair....

So, throwing yourself prone behind cover only grants you a 5th setback dice against shots, meanwhile taking cover and doing the same narratively, will usually do nothing for you. :)
Awesome FFG.

So Armor and Cover still does not stack. But throwing yourself into the dirt works just fine against range attacks.

6 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

So, throwing yourself prone behind cover only grants you a 5th setback dice against shots, meanwhile taking cover and doing the same narratively, will usually do nothing for you. :)
Awesome FFG.

So Armor and Cover still does not stack. But throwing yourself into the dirt works just fine against range attacks.

While keeps you extra open to meele attacks (in a time of Jedi/sith players not the best decision ;) )
I recommend to use the Cover as 1-3 setbacks (depending on the kind of Cover) but thats houserule terrain.

@Nightone

How does this effect the pvp games here? If we apply this i have 4 defense for my drall jedi...

3 minutes ago, TheShard said:

@Nightone

How does this effect the pvp games here? If we apply this i have 4 defense for my drall jedi...

You have a Defense of 3 (according to your sheet) if you now use a defensive maneuver you can only gain one more defense point by it (for one turn).
Other setbacks that were provided by enviorment still add up since those aren't defenses.

but let's not derail this threat, use the PvP Mainthread or the PvP arena or personal messages for this kind of PvP related questions.

3 hours ago, Stan Fresh said:

Houserules can fix that. I changed cover so that it increases defense and the problem was solved at my table.

At my table games, we treat cover as obstructing line of sight, so it adds setbacks to ranged attacks vs increases defense. Same as if fog or smoke, it decreases the likelihood of being hit, not reduces potential damage received (even though mechanically that will be the end result).

Not that we've ever had to worry about going over this limit of 4 before counting outside factors. 4 is a lot of setbacks as it is.

Sheesh, updated back in November and nobody noticed until now? They really need some kind of announcement process.

1 hour ago, GroggyGolem said:

Houserules can fix that.

Of course. But I'm wondering at the thought process behind this design decision.

2 hours ago, Stan Fresh said:

Of course. But I'm wondering at the thought process behind this design decision.

Probably just as simple as them not wanting the PCs to too easily stack up ranged defense, thus prolonging combats when the system is itself designed around making combats not drag out.

36 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

Probably just as simple as them not wanting the PCs to too easily stack up ranged defense, thus prolonging combats when the system is itself designed around making combats not drag out.

That’s about the simplest and therefore most likely answer.

That's the proximate reason, of course. I'm wondering why someone would set up a Star Wars system with so much fiddliness that then doesn't even serve to make actual play work out like the movies. It's completely misguided at a high level.

This particular bit of errata brought this issue into stark relief once again.

Star Wars needs something in the vein of Fate, Powered by the Apocalypse, Cortex Plus, etc. Not this kind of fiddly nonsense that works counter to the Star Wars experience.

If I had my way then cover would Upgrade ranged checks instead, it would bolster the effect of things like Dodge and keep away from Armour. I don’t think there’s enough ways for upgrades, it doesn’t do much to the chance of failure but the extra threat and Despair is what makes this system

On 31/1/2018 at 1:26 PM, Desslok said:

Sheesh, updated back in November and nobody noticed until now? They really need some kind of announcement process.

True. Today I discover this on my own, and felt like I discovered Penicillin.

Kudos for sharing this GroggyGolem!

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:26 PM, Desslok said:

Well, since each of the Products page cite January 30th 2018 as the upload date, seems more like they need their web monkey to do a better job of uploading material in a timely fashion ;)

Then again, seeing how long it'd been since the last errata/FAQ update, I suppose they could be forgiven for forgetting the Star Wars RPG games even had errata/FAQs to update...

It is probably write them, then get approvals, then upload

After rereading the Cover and Concealment sections I might be coming around to seeing the Devs' point.

If Boba Fett dives behind a crate that is flimsier than his mandalorian armor, It wouldn't do much to stop impacts his armor would already stop, so no cover bonus. However it could net him a bonus for concealment (I think it would be fair to call it "intervening terrain"?) which is not a Defense bonus, and would stack.

Of course, if unarmored Han Solo dives behind the same crate, it might be fair to give him both the cover and concealment bonuses (which I am fine with as cover is currently somewhat underwhelming).

If defense worked differently from general setback dice, this might make more sense.

Edited by penpenpen