To kill a unit upgrade

By willrum, in Runewars Rules Questions

I ran in to a bit of a rule disagreement last game. The issue was on how to assign damage..i think.

My 9 block of demons eventually whittled my opponent's 9 block of reanimates down to 1 rank. On my next attack i wanted to assign damage his necromancer, which was placed in the front-most hole. My opponent said he got to choose which unit takes damage, and the units in the back-most holes take damage first and if i had an accuracy i could choose his necromancer. I guess i thought that the attacker chooses where the damage goes, and once your'e down to the front rank the attacker can choose any figure unless it splits a unit apart. How does assigning damage work when down to the last rank?

hope i didn't sound too confusing. thanks in advance.

Your opponent is wrong, very wrong. Attacker assigns damage, and ranks are by trays, not holes. In your situation you should have been able to hit the necromancer. Only thing you couldn't do is kill an embedded siege unit inbetween two trays (if it's the last rank).

Damage has to be assigned to the last rank first, which is the entire rank of trays, not the individual rows of holes.

You were right, he was wrong.

A "rank" is a rank of trays, not the individual lines of models in the trays.

Interpreting Rank as rank of dudes, instead of a rank of trays is a mistake I made in the beginning as well. I chalked it up to a hold over from my time playing Warhammer Fantasy, and a too fast reading of the rules.

As soon as the unit is down to one rank you can start slamming that necromancer.