Legends of the Alliance Impressions

By Kunitzu San, in Legends of the Alliance

While we are still in the process of finishing the Campaign, I am really impressed by what the app has to offer towards our play sessions! The campaign finds new ways to engage with players in the form of encounters, special narrative events that aren't tied to combat missions. They add new flavor to the game outside of the traditional combat, allowing for more choices in the storytelling that allows your group to become more immersed in the world of Star Wars. I especially love the feel of the new missions, with the environment expanding when certain parameters are met. The new perils and health system offer an especially nice touch, encouraging more aggressive play on the part of the Rebels. Like in traditional Imperial Assault Campaigns, hidden events will trigger that will take the Rebels by surprise, prompting a re-evaluation to how you approach a new objective.
Another excellent addition is the Armory, Character, and Inventory Menus. They offer a great means of engaging and managing your equipment characters, with only a quick glance and simple input to reflect your growth as you complete missions and become stronger. It's so convenient that I wished that a similar system can be utilized for traditional campaigns, as it really makes record keeping a breeze.
I do have some criticisms, particularly in regards to the explanation of how Imperial/Scum Units operate in the app. As we are playing through the game, it feels like the AI has far more abilities at it's disposal to command the troops as opposed to what the units can do under a human player. As a for instance, a Storm-trooper will be directed to move and attack a hero, and then still have a second action where he can continue to move beyond his total speed. We have tried to strike a balance with house rules where the AI will more closely obey their physical descriptions, while still honoring the apps direction. And while more quibble than criticism, I have come to understand that the included "Flight of the Freedom Fighter" runs on the shorter side. This doesn't bother me as much, as right now it really feels like a great little microcosm of the Imperial Assault Campaign experience. But I do understand players who want a longer campaign, which I can only imagine will come in future updates.
Which brings us to the possible future for the platform. At launch, the Legends app only supports maps and components from the Core Set, although heroes from all of the expansions can be selected for each rebel player. Like most software, the experience will continue to change and become more refined with future updates and patches. What I am curious to see is how Fantasy Flight will go about with adding new campaigns to the experience, particularly with how they choose to charge (or not) players. With the players already owning the physical components for maps and figures, the possibilities of new co-op campaigns are tantalizing.
Legends of the Alliance offers a great new mode of play of for Imperial Assault that can stand alongside both the traditional Campaign and Skirmish Modes. I still think I will always prefer the traditional Campaign, as you are fully engaging with other people in the room and leads to more meaningful interactions and moments that a program can't replicate. It's such a unique, asymmetrical style of play where both factions are becoming powerful as the game progresses, that I feel would be very much lost if an app becomes the primary source of play (which I sincerely doubt will happen, as much as I have seen that concern whispered throughout these forums). With three new modes of play, Star Wars: Imperial Assault feels like a full, amazing package that will be able to transport players, both new and old, to that galaxy far, far away.

@Kunitzu San , for the sake of discussion;

The expanding environment takes me back to IA's roots with Doom (2004). It was great to explore the facility bit by bit not knowing where your ultimate goal was. The difference here, and what's been my favourite thing about watching the engine evolve to here by way of 2 editions of Descent, is that every practical flaw in the series keeps getting ironed out for ease of gameplay. Now you can build the map as you go (which can slow down the game at exciting times) BUT they give you numbered map tiles and a list of what you need on the pop up so an organized player can quickly overcome this.

Knowing exactly where you need to go changes the dynamics entirely, which is neither good or bad, just a different experience. Luckily the app also comes with a harder difficulty so doing a victory lap won't seem like a cakewalk after you spoiled all the twists for yourself.

As for implementing an easier shopping/upkeep phase between missions in the analog campaign, there really isn't an easier way to do it without digital support, which is kind of the point with the app. Even now in a campaign you're basically drawing out half the tier deck and rifling through it. While it increases the chances that you'll get more specifically useful equipment, it can bog the game down in analysis paralysis, especially if you have an indecisive player or two in your midst. There's something to be said about shortening your potential choices down. Also from what I understand, the app offers you different and better gear based on your performance by way of your Fame score, so you are rewarded for looting crates (for potentially more money) and wiping out more deployment groups (for more Fame) where the analog campaign often has you stepping around these obstacles in favour of hitting the mission objectives to generate more XP for your side if you win.

By extension streamlining the character progression in this app campaign was also nice to see in keeping with that same tone of cutting out "too many" decisions.

I don't know if I would go about house ruling the AI scripts too much, and I'm not sure what you're finding the need to tinker with it serves; is it a difficulty thing or just a desire to adhere to the traditional ruleset?

I've found from playing a good deal of the campaign material over the years that a lot of units really underperform, and there have been some Imperial Class decks since that have helped focus in on these deficits. As well, they make for more focused, thematic mooks to send after the heroes. The Jabba's Realm decks are good examples of this. Campaign Vader on his own is kind of junk, as you can basically Stun him and run away and other than a Force Choke, he's not doing much. So, much like in Skirmish, he's been modified here to be a credible threat.

A Stormtrooper group in a campaign after a couple of missions is just a minor speed bump for the heroes, as they will cut through them like a hot knife through butter. Officers in the app are actually a force to be reckoned with for what they do with the troops around them.

The app seems to treat the enemies with a fairly complex errata, with the cards essentially just telling you what their total health is, as well as what attack dice to roll. Everything else (including surges and their priority) is told on the group's information tab on the app.

Apparently the app is going to chug along with the analog campaigns in releases to come, which is fine by me. As an early adopter of this game, and player of now all three of its modes, I'm happy to see it being continually supported this way. The app also welcomes in the solitaire gamer market, which is generally what a good co-op game caters to, as a lone player can actually play a game against a competent opponent instead of running both sides to the best of their ability.

I don't see how the app cuts away from the hijinks a group of friends can have at the table. You lose out on the Imperial player laughing maniacally as they drop a bomb on the team, or the trash talk going the other way, but even as 4 players vs the app, you can still have those amazing plays and close calls that you'll laugh and lament.

Especially when that 3 activation Super Vader is about to murderate everyone at the end of the last mission. Maybe you decide to pull the trigger on ending the mission when only you and at best one other ally are next to the shuttle, leaving your friends for dead so at least "someone" gets away. It's pretty amazing. I mean, hypothetically of course...

Consider that there are plenty of Imperial class cards that grant figures similar abilities to the bonuses seen in the app, including extra movement.

On 2/5/2018 at 3:47 AM, cleardave said:

I've found from playing a good deal of the campaign material over the years that a lot of units really underperform, and there have been some Imperial Class decks since that have helped focus in on these deficits. As well, they make for more focused, thematic mooks to send after the heroes. The Jabba's Realm decks are good examples of this. Campaign Vader on his own is kind of junk, as you can basically Stun him and run away and other than a Force Choke, he's not doing much. So, much like in Skirmish, he's been modified here to be a credible threat.

A Stormtrooper group in a campaign after a couple of missions is just a minor speed bump for the heroes, as they will cut through them like a hot knife through butter. Officers in the app are actually a force to be reckoned with for what they do with the troops around them.

I think the app really shines at this. It adds thematic flavors to most units in the game which have me excited to use them and their changes in order to solo play the classic campaigns. I'll add spoiler tag in case someone has not yet came across the few units I'll quickly comment :

You mention the Imperial Officers. I think the way they have been portrayed in the app brings them higher on target priority list. You don't want them to Focus other imperial units too often.

Vader is another good example. If the rebels are not careful enough, Vader could potentially attack all of them with a single attack-action! Very scary (just like Darth Vader should be anyway!)

A few more examples :

The Clawdite shapeshifter's app version seems also a ton of fun, being able to morph into whatever defeated imperial unit part of a group (provided there is still at least 1 unit from that group on the board). So if you neglect the shapeshifter in order to defeat one elite Royal Guard, then the shapeshifter could morph into an elite Royal Guard later on!

Prob Droid self-destructing at the end of their activation is also very thematic!

FFG added Rocketlauncher, Flamthrower and whipcord (all 3 via bonus) to Boba Fett's arsenal. Now this the Boba Fett we are looking for, I can move along now ;)

A badly damage Nexu might temporarily run away to lick its wounds. I think it is also thematic. I watched episode II a few days ago (yeah I caught a cold and felt sick/weird enough to watch it again. In fact I wanted to watch episode I but couldn't find my DVD ;) ) and when Padmé hits the Nexu in the flank it does not try to attack her anymore, possibly trying to recover from the hit.