Working up my Daqan

By coldsteel, in Runewars List Building

So, got things for XMas, so able to look at a decent (IMO) 200 points of Daqan:

Hawthorne with a Reaping Blade and Might of Daqan

3x2 Oathsworn Cav with master-crafted weapons, Moment of Inspiration and Raven Tabard

3x2 Spearmen with master-crafted weapons, metered march, Citadel Weapons Master and Raven Tabard

2 units of 2x1 Heavy Crossbows with Close-Quarters Targeting.

I could dump the Metered March for replacing the CQTs with Rank Discipline for both XBow units. Think that'd work better?

I think what it all comes down to is 1) how much do you trust your dice without rerolls, and 2) how much you value the surge-surge to add a mortal strike. The Heavy Crossbowmen actually are pretty proficient at melee combat: rolling 1 blue die, and dialing in a hit modifier isn't all that different from rolling 1 blue die and rolling a special die that only has hits. Thinking about it this way, you shouldn't be too scared of your Crossbowmen getting engaged, and they will definitely appreciate rerolls for both melee and ranged attacks.

There are 2 caveats: 1) with Close Quarters Targeting you can dial in that initiative 5 ranged attack, and know that even if you become engaged, your action isn't canceled, and 2) as mentioned above, you can deal mortal strikes while engaged with CQT. But even considering these, I just feel like Rank Discipline is the superior choice for Crossbowmen.

My two options for the training upgrade in Crossbowmen are just Rank Discipline or Piercing strike. I choose Piercing Strike if I have to take down high defense units, in any other cases I choose Rank discipline. Those rerolls help a lot.

Do you have 6 trays of xbows? If so I'd run your list slightly different

Oathsworn Cavalry [46] 2x3
Tempered Steel [3]
Raven Tabards [2]
Moment of Inspiration [5]
Total Unit Cost: 56

Spearmen [40] 3x2
Citadel Weapons Master [8]
Total Unit Cost: 48

Lord Hawthorne [34] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 34

Heavy Crossbowmen [27] 3x1
Rank Discipline [4]
Total Unit Cost: 31

Heavy Crossbowmen [27] 3x1
Rank Discipline [4]
Total Unit Cost: 31

3 hours ago, Glucose98 said:

Do you have 6 trays of xbows? If so I'd run your list slightly different

(snip)

I do not as yet. Only 4. I like the idea however...