Mak's disengage and Nexu's pounce and other imp movements

By Whitebubble, in Legends of the Alliance

Hi everybody,

I played the fourth mission yesterday and a couple of questions arose. I'm playing with Mak and Gaarkhan and Mak has his class card disengage.

So quite often the instruction told the nexu to pounce to Mak. As an IP I would anticipate that Mak might use disengage (if I really want to attack him I might use a move action first to see if he is disengaging...if he does I pounce after him...if he doesn't I attack him). This - of course - is very situational. I usually played it that way, that I pounced at Mak; Mak moved away and the Nexu was only able to do another repositioning. I could have targeted Gaarkhan instead (since I know that he cannot move away). Playing it that way resulted in a Nexu that couldn't attack for 2 or 3 rounds. This feels wrong somehow. Nevertheless I think it is according to the rules.

How do you play this?

The other question is concerning ranged attack figures (like ST). They usually move to attack. The rules say they should try to move to adjacency for the attack. With a blue and a green die e.g. ST will always have at least 3 Acc. So why move adjacent? Often the next instruction is 'Move 2 (or 3) to reposition 3 (or 4)' which very often is impossible if the ST was adjacent in first place. I know that in this case I simply have to move as far as possible.

I changed the rules during my mission yesterday. With ST I only moved as close as 3 fields. Then I let them attack and afterwards I let them reposition.

Any objections? Or anybody else that is playing it this way? Any reason why they should move to adjacency (with Trandos I always want to be adjacent for the extra effect)?

Even if Nexu won't get to attack Mak, Disengage is now exhausted, so the other imperial figures can.

No objections to making imperials move only to guaranteed accuracy range to attack. (Have to take into account Hidden though.) You can make the game as hard or easy as you want.

5 hours ago, Whitebubble said:

So quite often the instruction told the nexu to pounce to Mak. As an IP I would anticipate that Mak might use disengage (if I really want to attack him I might use a move action first to see if he is disengaging...if he does I pounce after him...if he doesn't I attack him). This - of course - is very situational. I usually played it that way, that I pounced at Mak; Mak moved away and the Nexu was only able to do another repositioning. I could have targeted Gaarkhan instead (since I know that he cannot move away). Playing it that way resulted in a Nexu that couldn't attack for 2 or 3 rounds. This feels wrong somehow. Nevertheless I think it is according to the rules.

How do you play this?

I assume when you say the Nexu can “target” Gaarkhan you mean with the entirety of the action, correct?

As I recall the Nexu likes to position itself where it can cleave, if successful in doing that it would attack Gaarkhan instead if Mak disengaged.

5 hours ago, Whitebubble said:

Hi everybody,

I played the fourth mission yesterday and a couple of questions arose. I'm playing with Mak and Gaarkhan and Mak has his class card disengage.

How do you play this?

I am not sure if that is the correct way to play this (forgot what is the correct wording for pounce in the app) but I would have played it as follow :

Before the Nexu pounce, Mak is asked if he wants to disengage. If he does, can he still be reach by the Nexu? (in such case, Mak may have decided to keep disengage for another attack against him later in the round anyway) If yes, than the Nexu will be able to attack Mak. If not, then I would just pounce elsewhere and I would pick up another valid target for the Nexu according to target priority.

On 1/22/2018 at 9:50 AM, IanSolo_FFG said:

I am not sure if that is the correct way to play this (forgot what is the correct wording for pounce in the app) but I would have played it as follow :

Before the Nexu pounce, Mak is asked if he wants to disengage. If he does, can he still be reach by the Nexu? (in such case, Mak may have decided to keep disengage for another attack against him later in the round anyway) If yes, than the Nexu will be able to attack Mak. If not, then I would just pounce elsewhere and I would pick up another valid target for the Nexu according to target priority.

Disengage triggers when the hostile figure enters the space. So it happens after the Nexu is placed and before the attack.

Edited by Uninvited Guest
3 minutes ago, Uninvited Guest said:

Disengage triggers when the hostile figure enters the space. So it happens after the Nexu is place and before the attack.

OK got it thanks! Then Whitebubble has been playing this correctly.

As A1bert suggested then, that might be a way to make the app play a little bit harder. For instance, if the Nexu is the last imperial unit to activate in a given round and Mak has not exhausted disengage, I would rule it that the App will "anticipate" disengage and pounce toward the next best valid target. If the Nexu is the first figure to activate in a given round, I would pounce toward Mak no matter what. If Mak disengage, then like A1bert pointed out, he will possibly be a valid target for other imperial units later during that round.

1 minute ago, Uninvited Guest said:

Disengage triggers when the hostile figure enters the space. So it happens after the Nexu is place and before the attack.

I was about to say this :) You have to place the Nexu in an empty space. If it is within 3 spaces from Mak he can trigger disengage and the Nexu remains all by himself :)

21 minutes ago, Uninvited Guest said:

I assume when you say the Nexu can “target” Gaarkhan you mean with the entirety of the action, correct?

As I recall the Nexu likes to position itself where it can cleave, if successful in doing that it would attack Gaarkhan instead if Mak disengaged.

He was able to either attack Gaarkhan or Mak. Not both since they were positioned such that they were 5 or 6 spaces away from each other.
If I remember correctly the first instruction is to pounce to get adjacent to two rebels. If not possible the next instruction was to pounce to next hero with the lowest health. Which in my case was Mak. So I had the choice to either jump to Mak (according to the target priority) knowing that he would disengage and ending up all alone with the Nexu and without an attack. The other option was to pounce to Gaarkhan and get a guaranteed attack. So I was always in between "shall I use the Nexu's pounce to pounce to Mak without effect (okay he would exhaust his class card) or should I attack Gaarkhan against the target priority for a guaranteed attack.

Also consider the corner case that if Mak has suffered strain up to his endurance, Disengage is not available even if ready.

Also true. And if he triggers engage he might not be able to trigger ambush the next round. So yeah...the more I think about it the more I believe I should just do what the app is telling me to do :)

In a normal campaign I was always delighted when I could make Mak use Disengage after his activation, so that it would not trigger on deployments during the status phase.