Nekrovirus Ground Forces

By Caliban, in Twilight Imperium

Hey,

Can anyone provide a link to the designer’s ruling on Nekrovirus ground forces not counting towards fleet supply when used as ships?

This caused a disagreement in our last game.

Actually @GromSky I thanked you for this when I first read it, however, surely you'd need ships to contain them then? Or am I just treating these GF as fighters?

I would've thought that'd be reasonable, you can take as many with you as you want, as you can fit within your ships(?)

My understanding is that they do not require either support or supply, you just have a ton of extra ships for the combat phase. It is a powerful ability.

I was also embarrassed when I played the first game in 4 editions for Necro, the fault is that the formalization "treats them like ships". But the Danes clearly explained the problem - no fleet suplly or capasity were not taken into account when drawing this ability is not necessary. Yes, a powerful ability, but it seems to me that in 4 editions each race, with the exception of Winnu, has strong racial abilities and technologies.

EDIT: While looking at Dane's answer once more, he was only talking about fleet suplly, but I'm sure that in this case, capasity is not important.

Edited by GromSky

Capacity doesn't matter. You don't check capacity during a space battle, only afterward, and by then all of your GF have returned to the planet.

It IS an immensly powerful FS-abiliťy.

And quite thematic. It makes me see the Nekro Infantry as those tentacly floating robots from the Matrix Trilogy. Or Decepticons...

I'm more concern about Winnu Flagship interaction with Necro's Flagship. So if Necro's Flagship say the they are all "SHIPS", does that mean that Winnu's Flagship also get additional dices for every of those Ground Units counted as "SHIPS"

6 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I'm more concern about Winnu Flagship interaction with Necro's Flagship. So if Necro's Flagship say the they are all "SHIPS", does that mean that Winnu's Flagship also get additional dices for every of those Ground Units counted as "SHIPS"

That would be insane. My guess is Yes.

I would say no due to a sheer technicality. The Nekro Infantry are just allowed to act "as if they were" ships. This does not, however, change their keyword TO ship so they'd still actually be Infantry. Rulebreaking Infantry, sure, but still Infantry.

And we now have an updated "Living Rules Reference" which adress this. According to the Nekro part of the FAQ (page 35), their Infantry in the same system as the Alastsor DO count as ships (in addition to being Infantry) for the purpose of card effects. However, they do NOT count towards Fleet Supply since they are transportable units.

In section 16 (Capacity) on page 10 we can also read that fighters and ground forces CAN exceed capacity during combat. Any excess must be destroyed at end of combat, however. But by then any Nekro Infantry participating in the space combat will already have returned to the planet surface.