Can you assign hits to infantry(GF) in space combat?

By Zorprime, in Twilight Imperium

I've been trying to clarify this in rules but can't find it.

RR 67.6 - Assign Hits: Each player must choose and destroy one of his ships in the active system for each hit his opponent produced.

Although there is that one flagship that allows you to treat GFs as ships for space combat.

Just now, Forgottenlore said:

Although there is that one flagship that allows you to treat GFs as ships for space combat.

Yes, the Nekro can do this. And the L1Z1X can use Bombardment during space combat. Otherwise, infantry are pretty much immune from damage during space battles.

Thanks for response, what about if a carrier dies but you win space battle. Can you land infantry or do you check for capacity before invading planet.

You check for capacity after space combat, before invasion. Carrier goes boom, so do your troops.

24 minutes ago, pklevine said:

You check for capacity after space combat, before invasion. Carrier goes boom, so do your troops.

Only logical. I find explaining the entire space combat & invasion sequence much easier if you think about how it world work in reality rather than just as a rules framework. Infantry sit on carriers until unloaded; fighters are short-range and need to dock to refuel; big guns on the surface shoot at orbiting ships. Like playing out the battle of Hoth.

6 hours ago, pklevine said:

Thanks for the response. 16.3 Capacity was the key.

Previous games have made me wary of assuming the rules follow logical flow that you know they should. I like finding the text in rules reference early before it becomes second hand and you've learned they broke with logic.