Budgernaut's Locust Swarm

By Budgernaut, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

Woohoo! I finally have a painting thread!

I've got 8 Flesh Rippers close to finished. They have all been painted and washed. All that's left is basing and highlighting. I've got one highlighted and I wanted to know what you all thought. Is the highlighting enough or should I go for more? The red base is Dragon Red with Strong Tone wash and Dragon Red highlights. Then I did Pure Red accents on top of that. I'm wondering if I should go for some Lava Orange accents to further bring things out. 20180117_222432.jpg 20180117_222505.jpg

Hmmm .... That didn't work out so well. I bet tomorrow I won't even be able to pick out the highlighted one. I guess I need to be more aggressive with my highlights.

Anyway, I can't express to you all how excited I am to finally be posting pictures of my own paint jobs! They're not stellar, but it's better than grey plastic! I've found that highlighting is my favorite step in the painting process. I feel like it's the most active part of the process and it makes your miniature look "done," which is very rewarding. I'm looking forward to hitting up the Berserkers once I finish these guys. I guess that may be in March at my rate. :D

Edited by Budgernaut
Deleted a reference to images not shown.

The other day I was trying to explain to my wife what I had left to do on the Flesh Rippers. "I still need to paint their nails, then give them a wash and do some highlights." After I said that, I felt like I was talking about a beauty salon!

Dont be afraid to push the contrast. You cant go wrong having a strong but gradual highlight

Contrast needs to be exaggerated to stand, especially at the game distance, learning to highlight enough will come with mistakes and practice though.

Reds are tough as of all the colours they are the most limited palette. To top it, you need to go orange/yellows into highlights, or magenta. White will go pink, so is less desirable, unlike say blues and such where blending white up is completely doable.

Those bone bits would really pop with an ivory, followed by an off-white highlight to kill it dead.

Edited by Darthain

20180204_210700.jpg

20180204_210611.jpg

Added some more aggressive highlights on the bone (Mummy Robes) and skin (Lava Orange). At this point I think I'm done. It looks a lot better in-person. I don't know if that's my camera's fault or my lack of photographic skill.

I like these guys, they look good..what base did you use for your flesh? Looks like a creme color like Vallejo bone.

1 hour ago, Gamgan said:

I like these guys, they look good..what base did you use for your flesh? Looks like a creme color like Vallejo bone.

Half of them are Skeleton Bone and half are a pale green Necromantic Flesh. It will hopefully show up better when I highlight the Necromantic Flesh.

Great job bringing those highlights up!

20180719_180354.jpg

One tray of Berserkers done! Eleven more to go . . .

EDIT: I'll get some better pictures later, but this will do for now. What I'm going for with my Berserkers is a dirty look. I'd like them to look like they've been on the dusty Ruu Steppes for years without bathing. Over time, I imagine the dirt and grime will build up in the creases of their skin, while the exposed areas will brush off as the sweat dries and the dirt cakes off. I've heard that washes are bad because they make the figure look dirty, so I experimented with different washes: Army Painter's Strong Tone, Soft Tone, and Mid-Brown Tone. I believe the mid-brown tone is the one I'm looking for. It looks like dirt and less like shadow. I think the guy on your right (rear left circle for the unit) is mid-brown-washed.

Edited by Budgernaut

I really should wait until I can pose a better picture, but I'm excited to finally have Ravos complete!

20200406-064201.jpg

Edited by Budgernaut

I decided his shoulder scales nedded to pop a little more.

20200406-214546.jpg
20200406-214503.jpg

Nice. It never occurred to me to try painting his cracked skin a different color. It looks real good

On 4/12/2020 at 11:01 AM, Church14 said:

Nice. It never occurred to me to try painting his cracked skin a different color. It looks real good

In art for Obscenes in BattleLore and Runewars: Banners of War, the Obscebes have dark, skaly shoulders. Ravos also has this in BattleLore: Command and in the art on his card. It's one of many things I think the modeler didn't understand about Ravos' design. Man, I love his card art compared to this model and his BattleLore: Command render!