Ravos autowound

By Reanimated Guy, in Runewars Rules Questions

Maybe is a stupid question but can ravos hurts himself at the end of turn?

Thanks for answer my questions.

Waiqar .......

Edit: and if some unit is in the lake, can I shoot with my archers through the lake with vision?

Edited by Reanimated Guy
Fail

Yes.

Units are considered to be at range 1 of themselves. He can select himself as a target, or if no one is nearby, he MUST select himself as a target.

Regarding the lake question, yes, you can shoot at enrmies in that terrain. I believe that was one item that was clarified in the FAQ.

4 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Regarding the lake question, yes, you can shoot at enrmies in that terrain. I believe that was one item that was clarified in the FAQ.

I think he meant, "Can you shoot through them." The lake/pond is Exposed, but if a unit occupies it, can you still shoot a unit on the other side? I actually don't know the answer to this one.

7 hours ago, Parakitor said:

I think he meant, "Can you shoot through them." The lake/pond is Exposed, but if a unit occupies it, can you still shoot a unit on the other side? I actually don't know the answer to this one.

Ohhhhhh. I'm not 100% sure. My guess is that you can't, but I need to look for a rule to support that.

10 hours ago, Parakitor said:

The unit would still block LoS, the terrain itself just doesn't. Obviously I have no support for this but it makes sense.

81.7 - When a unit is targeted by a ranged attack or other effect while occupying a piece of terrain, the unit performing the attack measures range and determines line of sight to any point on the edge of that piece of terrain.

81.9, Bullet 5 - Exposed: When a unit measures line of sight, it ignores this terrain.

Okay so... when a unit it occupying a piece of terrain, the edges of that terrain essentially define its footprint for line of sight purposes. Mildly extrapolated from 81.7, and using the "other effect" generalization to cover the situation of "blocking los to another target". In this case, the "exposed" terrain would not block LoS, but the occupying unit that treats the terrain token edges as its own edges for LoS would.

I think this is a good target for the next FAQ pass, though. There is an argument to be made that until the unit is actually the TARGET of an attack/ability, it basically doesn't exist in terms of unit footprint. I think both answers are supportable in RAW but one clearly makes more sense and can't be abused.

Edited by Tvayumat

Yep, that's what I was thinking, too. You get the impression from the rules that the edge of the terrain becomes the unit's edge, but it doesn't quite say that in the rules, so clarification would be nice.

Going back on topic... played a game this weekend where the autowound question came up for Ravos. I guess I'd never read the card that way before that he had to give it to himself if nothing else was in range.

If ever there was something I'd like to see FAQ'd it be this. If he self dings (and I can totally see that based on the text) that's a pretty strong ding against him.

I've read it as he takes the hit if nothing else is around. Similar to the old "Lord of the Pit" from MtG. He's a brute, but he has to hurt something all the time.

It's pretty simple. If he doesn't eat nonstop, he starves to death.

Remember to always read the fine print before you sign in blood.

Edited by Xelto
2 hours ago, tgall said:

Going back on topic... played a game this weekend where the autowound question came up for Ravos. I guess I'd never read the card that way before that he had to give it to himself if nothing else was in range.

If ever there was something I'd like to see FAQ'd it be this. If he self dings (and I can totally see that based on the text) that's a pretty strong ding against him.

The wording of the ability is completely intentional with regard to definitions of range in the rules reference.

Even with hurting himself, he is one of the strongest heroes when it comes to dealing damage. The autowound also makes Insatiable Hunger matter even more to him than it otherwise would. I have no doubts he was designed with self-wounding as part of the package.

9 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

The wording of the ability is completely intentional with regard to definitions of range in the rules reference.

Even with hurting himself, he is one of the strongest heroes when it comes to dealing damage. The autowound also makes Insatiable Hunger matter even more to him than it otherwise would. I have no doubts he was designed with self-wounding as part of the package.

Yup I agree. If the word 'other' was only there....