the first preview of BoW!

By pomakli, in Battles of Westeros

Hi!

The designer Robert A. Kouda presented a look at some basic combat mechanism!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1153

Why he decided on a eight-sided dice?

How to define the differences between cavalry and infantry due to speed and additional combat force?

And how flanking maneuver and engagement system works?

Critics and ideas from the community?

Pom

OK, at the risk of repeating myself... I'll repeat what I already said about that article! happy.gif

There's nothing new in that article that we didn't already know. All that I learned was that the designer thinks he invented many of the concepts that have already been in use with Battlelore.

Not a big fan of parting shots, but I do like having some drawback for changing targets. Seems like there are better solutions than free strikes though.

I need to think a bit more about the armor. Changing the hit distribution for three levels of units sounds like a bad idea on the face of it. Memoir does this, but you're talking about units with HIGHLY different levels of armor : infantry vs artillery vs tanks. Even if you did want differences on the die, why not do something like Hit All, Hit Blue/Green, Hit Green, Retreat, Valor... and something else. Same distribution but on a 6-sided die. As things stand, you're really going to need some flanking to hit those red units.